May 09, 2024, 10:00:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What exhaust fits my 99 XL1200?

Started by FXRkid1, April 30, 2014, 06:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXRkid1

I picked up a 99 XL1200 to play with and customize from Ebay / swapmeets.  I notice many exhaust system fitment go from 2004 and up and there are slim pickings from 2004 and down. My question is what is the difference? My guess is the placement of the rear master cylinder or the foot pegs. I was interested in the Shortshot Staggered pipes from V&H (used if possible) but only see them listed for '04 and up?
Thanks
FXRKID

PC_Hater

Quote from: FXRkid1 on April 30, 2014, 06:28:06 AM
My question is what is the difference? My guess is the placement of the rear master cylinder or the foot pegs.
It is more than that. Harley decided the crossover pipe visible underneath the air cleaner was too ugly so there is some clever bracketry to hide the crossover pipe low down behind where the mufflers are. And I know on later bikes they moved the rear master cylinder using a peculiar bell-crank system. I dont know if that started in 2004 with the rubber mounts - I suspect it did.

None of this is unsurmountable of course, but it does make using later parts a bit more challenging.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

andyxlh

If you look there should be a lot available - remember anything from 1986 to 2003 will fit so that's quite a range.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

WhipLash96

I would use the Basanni Pro Street exhaust. No issues with clearances.  That and just a great system.
Thanks,
Whip

soggybottom

v&h straight shots, good place to look is J&P CYCLES.

WhipLash96

How can anyone afford to buy anything from that place? Shipping fees are unbearable? !;D
Thanks,
Whip

gasshawg

Just my 2 cents, took me a long time to find one, but I really like it,look for a HD 2 into 1, didn't like there muffler put exhaust cones in, made my own collector, might be a little loud for most people. Pipe with muffler at swap meet 20.00,exhaust cones 18.00,my collector made from O'Reilly's parts (adapter and turn out) 20.00. Beats the sh$t out of 399.00 up for pipes.
Have see a few of these out there.