May 09, 2024, 03:11:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2007 Sportster 1200C Starting problem

Started by landshark2u, May 26, 2014, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landshark2u

My 07 Sportster wont crank over the starter wont engage, plus I have constant power to my odometer. I am unable to pull the error codes. I had the starter rebuilt and tested working fine I re-installed this didn't fix my problem. Can anyone help?

andyxlh

just a couple of thoughts
the odometer is on all the time? even with the key out? Perhaps the switch is bad and not cutting the ignition, are the lights on with the key out?
this seems to be another problem on top of the starter issue, although of course they may be related (particularly if the battery is getting run down)
the starter won't engage or won't spin?
if it does not make any noise perhaps the starter relay is bad.
if it spins but does not engage and the starter is probably ok, perhaps the battery connections are loose or corroded, or the earth strap is.
if you press the starter and nothing at all happens suspect the relay. or the handlebar wiring to the start switch - has this been interfered with?
just a few things to start looking at.... a better description of the problem might help someone with more experience than me give you a better answer
cheers
A
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

landshark2u

Thank you for you input. I will try and explain my problem a little better (I hope)

When I try and start my bike the starter spins but doesn't engage I had it rebuilt and it still does the same thing.
as far as the constant power to the odometer with the key In off position. I push the reset button to pull the error codes with key in off position that's when you can see the power to odometer is hot. I had checked to see if the horn, turn signals, lights, emergency flashers all work and they do. I had checked all the fuses, battery has full charge.

andyxlh

Hmm...
Well I don't think I can help very much. But I would guess that you have 2 different problems he at the same time.
It sounds like it is an issue with the starter from what you describe. It should throw out and engage with the ring gear in the clutch housing. If the ring gear is good, and it is spinning vigorously, the  it would be reasonable to presume the problem is the cog not being thrown out by the solenoid. You can check this off the bike by removing the starter, it is in the manual, but I can't remember how off the top of my head.
With the ignition hot with the key out  my first guess would be a faulty ignition key switch. I'm not familiar with the later switches but the older ones like on my bike can do that when they go bad.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Wicked

Quote from: landshark2u on May 27, 2014, 10:31:01 PM

When I try and start my bike the starter spins but doesn't engage I had it rebuilt and it still does the same thing.
as far as the constant power to the odometer with the key In off position. I push the reset button to pull the error codes with key in off position that's when you can see the power to odometer is hot. I had checked to see if the horn, turn signals, lights, emergency flashers all work and they do. I had checked all the fuses, battery has full charge.

Sounds like your speedo is working like it's supposed to.... key and kill switch must be both on to retrieve codes. Pushing reset button with key off will show total mileage.
For your starter - sounds like you need a new starter drive.