April 23, 2024, 01:10:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

66 XLCH Mikuni Setup Help

Started by Robbie8919, May 21, 2014, 07:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie8919

I would like to note that the drops of white you see on the tank is actually dried sweat and tears from my soul. :) The paint is in really good shape.
Keep in mind my Avatar was taken as a joke.

garyajaz

so is air leak (see my first post) fixed?
does it run??

garyajaz

ZOOM ZOOM??
we want to see pix of running, shaking, puffing out exhaust.

and maybe you with a BIG smile on face.

so what happened?

Robbie8919

I got a manual and was having some issues finding the gasket. Well not really but the setup didn't seem exactly right to me. So I called Harley and they don't stock anything for my Mik anymore since its old. I then called Sudco and spoke with a pretty nice guy (Sonny). I am just going to order a new mount setup for it since the older gaskets are getting harder to come by and its only $35 for the peace of mind. But since I get paid once a month at my job funds are running low since I am hosting my parents coming into town next weekend and a buddy this week. So once I get paid I am going to grab that and throw it on the bike. I also got a Manual and have a guy I work with that apparently loves old pre 70's bikes. So he became my new best friend at work. He is going to loan me a Harley manual and a Hanes manual so I can compare it against my Clymers I just bought.

I think I am just going to try this ( the new carb mount setup) to see if I get anymore promising stuff out of her. If not I am just going to start over from scratch and take her down and make sure she is put together right. Since she was supposedly "dialed in" for when she was previously running I am going to take some seriously anal notes as I dig into her as well as pictures as I am tearing her down. I don't want to but at this point she could probably use it.

There is a plus side to this though it will teach me all about my new girl. It will give me an excuse to buy more tools and I can clean the frame up, potentially re-chrome a lot of things since its not in the best shape, and re-paint the engine gray since its got some rust coming up on it.  I am not going to really play around with the aesthetic setup too much since I like it. Just clean it up a bit and make her run and shine and add a obviously goofy foot forward controls since I am way too tall for it with the current setup. And I can add personal touches.

But obviously I am going to work on getting her running first a foremost. If the carb doesn't work I am going to static set the timing an go from there. I will keep all abreast of everything. I humbly appreciate the support. And most likely I will have some more questions if I end up getting into it like that.

saltcaveminer

I run 38mm mikunis on both my ironheads.Make sure you don't open the throttle when kicking.The mikuni does not have an accelerator pump.The curved cutout on the slide allows enough air in to start.The pilot jet inside the bowl controls idle and needs to be clean.The air jet is located on the bottom of the bore opening and also needs to be clean.The size of the bore determines the carb size.ex.38mm,40mm,44mm. Salty

Robbie8919

Panzer

Last I heard from Robbie was here on June 27th.
Should have had it fixed by now, what the latest?  :nix:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Panzer

Ok guys, let me do the final say....................
I contacted Robbie by PM and to make a long story short, he isn't going to fix it........he's trading it in on another sporty.
Shame as he was so close to getting it to run.

I frown on guys that don't give you any follow up after you try to help them as we all did.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Nowhereman

Quote from: Panzer on July 17, 2014, 05:19:36 AM
Ok guys, let me do the final say....................
I contacted Robbie by PM and to make a long story short, he isn't going to fix it........he's trading it in on another sporty.
Shame as he was so close to getting it to run.

I frown on guys that don't give you any follow up after you try to help them as we all did.

I just gotta say it, that pic of whoever is bucking their teeth out is sooooo irritating.  :emoGroan:
If he comes back, I say we make him change that avatar.. :hyst:
- From Nowhere in particular

garyajaz

gave up on that one?
yeah, that will fix it.
hope his other one has no problems.
lots of us thought  a lot and tried to help long distance.
next time? maybe not so much.

Robbie8919

Well its not that I don't want to give any feedback. If I don't have any update to give coming in here and making a pointless update to say I have no update. It's just a waste of time and with the help and advice you guys have given I did not want to waste you time. I personally feel that would be disrespectful. I got her running. I got a gauge set and found that the compression was 15 lower on the front cylinder than the back which was no Bueno. There was a valve partially sticking open. Tore it down fixed that and static timed her. She is running now. Not pretty, as I need to do some tweaking but she is running. The guy I was supposed to trade too helped me to fix her instead which was my preference. I am going to tinker with her over the off season to get her right. For the winter I am going to be riding a jap bike I just picked up this week. 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Eddie Lawson Replica Thanks for the help guys. All of you are awesome. And hell no I am not changing my avatar.

nibroc

well---at least there is an update--don't ask for help w/riceburner

Nowhereman

Quote from: Robbie8919 on August 29, 2014, 05:55:43 AM
Well its not that I don't want to give any feedback. If I don't have any update to give coming in here and making a pointless update to say I have no update. It's just a waste of time and with the help and advice you guys have given I did not want to waste you time. I personally feel that would be disrespectful. I got her running. I got a gauge set and found that the compression was 15 lower on the front cylinder than the back which was no Bueno. There was a valve partially sticking open. Tore it down fixed that and static timed her. She is running now. Not pretty, as I need to do some tweaking but she is running. The guy I was supposed to trade too helped me to fix her instead which was my preference. I am going to tinker with her over the off season to get her right. For the winter I am going to be riding a "metric bike" I just picked up this week. 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Eddie Lawson Replica Thanks for the help guys. All of you are awesome. And hell no I am not changing my avatar.

If ya fix those teeth, the bike will run better.....Less drag...
- From Nowhere in particular