May 08, 2024, 10:12:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ignition System

Started by WhipLash96, May 21, 2014, 03:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

May 21, 2014, 03:50:25 PM Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:58:24 PM by WhipLash96
I have a 96 Sportster 883 converted to a 1200. I did this upgrade a long time ago and have never had an issue other than routine maintenance items.

The wife and I went out riding over this past weekend and all was good. She was riding the Sportster. She put gas in at a station that we never used till then. The other day I got on and started riding.  To my utmost surprise it started to ping. This bike NEVER HAS PINGED! I drained the gas, cleaned the in line and tank filter.  They needed it. The pinging is still there. I haven't checked plugs yet, the wires I have are the Sumax Thundervolt 8.2 mm wires and my ignition is an SE.  The plugs are the NGK Iridium.

My question is that once I look at the plugs and if those turn out to be good yet, would you start to look at the ignition? My plug wires aren't arching on anything either. Thanks.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I pulled the plugs to have a look at them and they look perfect as far as there is very little to no soot which tells me that jetting is spot on. The porcelain shows no damage at all. The only thing that I saw is that strap on the front plug looks to be worn. I checked gap on both plugs and they were larger than what I set them at but still in spec. I regapped to my liking and will test ride.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

Try switching the grade of gas your using. (higher octane)
Usual ping is caused by low grade fuel.
Even though you drained the fuel from the tank did you drain the carb?
You may run a mile on the fuel in the carb before the fresh fuel takes over.
Let us know.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

WhipLash96

I always run 92 or higher. Yes , I turned the fuel off and ran the bike till she quit. I have probably 50 miles on new gas.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

You say that it started when you got gas at an unknown station.
You both got gas at the same time?
How is yours running?
You sure it wasn't pinging the whole time for your wife?
Does she know pinging when she hears it?
Well, whatever, the timing has to be changed to stop the pinging.
Again, let us know.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

WhipLash96

It wasn't pinging when I last rode it. And no, she doesn't know what pinging is or sounds like. No, I did not fuel up at this station.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

On some other advise,  today I took the air cleaner off, and while running,  I sprayed misted water into the intake. After that, I refueled and put more sea foam and added some Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank. I took it out for a ride and just spanked its ass. I don't seem to have that issue anymore. I am crossing my fingers.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

I was going to mention something in my second reply but, you seemed to have confirmed my suspensions............
I believe you had carbon build up in the head(s).
One small piece of carbon left glowing and acting like a spark plug will cause your pinging.
By spraying atomized water into the air cleaner flushed out some of the carbon and the culprit.
I've never tried it (spraying water into the air cleaner) but I've heard of others doing it and it seemed to have given good results, such as your's.
Although, it would be possible if that glowing carbon were present that it would "after run" when the ignition was turned off. (in some cases).
I think the water spray not the Sea Foam did the trick.
Again, would like to hear your take and outcome.

WhipLash96

I would have to say that after I sprayed the water in the intake,  it did ping a little. After I got back from the gas station and put the sea foam and Mystery Oil in, that is when I noticed  the change the most. I believe the combination was the key. Water was the beginning catalyst in my opinion.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

:up:   Thanks for keeping us posted.  :up:

WhipLash96

No problem.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Well, thought that my issue went away but it didn't. Same thing. The weird thing is that it does it only in 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.  I am going to put it on the lift to check something out just for hoots and hollers.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Ok, I put the the bike on the lift so I could check the primary chain for tension.  I wasn't really expecting that to be the issue but I just wanted to be thorough.  It wasn't loose. I then proceeded to change out the plugs. Took it out for a ride and my issue us still there. 

I remember what a really good wrench once told me. If you think it's fuel, check spark. If you think its spark, check fuel.  I took the carb off and gave it a good cleaning. I just need to reset cables and go for a spin. I am crossing my fingers.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

Standing by........let us know.
Sounds like it comes and goes.  :scratch:
Good luck.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Panzer on May 27, 2014, 02:52:29 PM
Standing by........let us know.
Sounds like it comes and goes.  :scratch:
Good luck.
Going to check vacuum from the carb. If she drops rpm's then I need to start looking elsewhere.
Thanks,
Whip

gasshawg

If you are running a vos switch check and make sure it's working, also what carb do you have on it?
Sounds to me it's vos switch or maybe a vacuum leak to it or a fuel delivery problem.
I missed a fuel over flow hose problem on my S&S E that I didn't see until I talked with S&S tech support and it fixed it.
If you still have the vacuum fuel valve on it get rid of it and put a manual fuel shut off on it.
Also if you are running high comp. pistons in it ( more than 9.5) try setting your timing at around 28* and go from there.
Just my thoughts on this.

WhipLash96

Quote from: gasshawg on May 29, 2014, 11:48:07 AM
If you are running a vos switch check and make sure it's working, also what carb do you have on it?
Sounds to me it's vos switch or maybe a vacuum leak to it or a fuel delivery problem.
I missed a fuel over flow hose problem on my S&S E that I didn't see until I talked with S&S tech support and it fixed it.
If you still have the vacuum fuel valve on it get rid of it and put a manual fuel shut off on it.
Also if you are running high comp. pistons in it ( more than 9.5) try setting your timing at around 28* and go from there.
Just my thoughts on this.
Running the CV and already have a manu as manual valve. I am going to check the vacuum line that connect extend to the VOES. Then if need I am going to take 10° out of the timing.
Thanks,
Whip

Sixspeed

Not sure of your location but here in the west the heat has been over 100 degrees more than a few days. Could be a contributing factor with the pinging?
:scratch:
"The HAPPIEST people just make the Best of Everything"

WhipLash96

Quote from: Sixspeed on May 29, 2014, 01:02:19 PM
Not sure of your location but here in the west the heat has been over 100 degrees more than a few days. Could be a contributing factor with the pinging?
:scratch:
Temps aren't that hot here in Minnesota yet. Its been doing this with temperatures in the high 60's. A lot of good info here. Just need to be able to get at it.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Haven't been able to go out for a ride as the weather here has been frog weather. I sure hope I can get this taken care of soon.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

UPDATE!  As I said I was having some issues with (or thought) with my SE ignition.  Well I found other issues and addressed those. However I still think that I have an issue. I am pinging a little and isn't all the time. However when I turn on my voes at the box to retard the timing, it goes away. I do have some old gas in the tank and am running that through but if it doesn't go away should I be looking at the VOES?
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Final Update! I found my problem and it had nothing to do ignition pinging.  Detonation yes, pinging no.
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

Are you going to share your findings, or keep us hanging?
Inquiring minds want to know.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Hossamania on November 03, 2014, 09:16:25 AM
Are you going to share your findings, or keep us hanging?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Not good I am afraid. I wish I could show you but for some reason Tapatalk won't upload the pictures that I have from my phone. Go to www.bike-talk.com  and look up a thread called "Time to Tear Down." It has a photographic library of what I found and what I am finding. That thread is getting long so skim through it. Major disaster pics near the end of the thread. I would call it CATASTOPHIC fAILURE! :emsad:
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

Sorry to hear that. Will look up your tale.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Karl H.

November 07, 2014, 05:29:16 AM #25 Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:35:07 AM by Karl H.
Here are two pics that WhipLash96 posted in the other forum (hope my posting is o.k.):

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

akjeff

That'll hone right out!  :teeth:

Jeff
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: Karl H. on November 07, 2014, 05:29:16 AM
Here are two pics that WhipLash96 posted in the other forum (hope my posting is o.k.):

I can't see them. Grrr.
Thanks,
Whip