May 06, 2024, 08:07:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's wrong with THIS picture?

Started by Big Dan, March 09, 2009, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

March 09, 2009, 07:18:19 AM Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:06:49 AM by Big Dan
Drove by this place last night, and was stunned. Although as it turns out, this is proper. My bad.

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

willymax4

by your profile you're from wisconsin and i assume that's where the pic was taken.
looks like (lakeview) went to a lot expense to fly those flags and  should know the proper protocol to display them.
by all means, call them on their mistake. :gob:
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

truck

The American Flag MUST fly above the others.
Give them time to respond, it shouldn't take more than five minutes to lower the other flags.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

specialx1

ok i admit to not being as well versed as i should be in flag protocol but looking at flag protocol at  various sites on the net by googling flag protocol they all say same height less at war with one of the countries?aint looking to argue just want to be sure

When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

is this wrong information??
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

Big Dan

March 09, 2009, 07:59:20 AM #5 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:26:30 AM by Big Dan
We were always schooled that the American flag MUST fly above all others. Perhaps that has changed. If it has changed, it still strikes me as wrong.

Edit: Great... it looks like I've gotten myself all in an uproar when perhaps I shouldn't have. Although I still don't like it.

CraigArizona85248

March 09, 2009, 08:01:36 AM #6 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:05:32 AM by CraigArizona85248
Specialx1 is correct.

Here is a bunch of good info... http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette-display.shtml

specialx1

maybe that was refering to other flags like state , local govt flags n such,but i agree i like ours higher

When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the right of the flag of the United States (the viewer's left). When the flag is half-masted, both flags are half-masted, with the US flag at the mid-point and the other flag below.

Specialx1

Big Dan

Mods, please feel free to remove this thread. My mistake.

specialx1

hell i wouldn't worry bout it Big Dan even honest mistakes are good learning tools for others  :up: hell it made me look it up for my own benefit
Specialx1

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Big Dan on March 09, 2009, 08:05:20 AM
Mods, please feel free to remove this thread. My mistake.

Big Dan,

I think this is a good thread.  I'll bet a lot of people thought the same as you and it's easy to see why.  When I was in school I was taught that the US flag flies above the state flag.  They didn't give us much info beyond that.  So it's easy to see how it could be expanded beyond state flags to encompass all flags.

-Craig

truck

seattledyna

just a tad off topic, but are there a lot of Japanese in Wisconsin? of course I know there is a strong scandinavian influence in that area but didnt know realise there was a very large Japanese population.

willymax4

maybe trying to cover as many bases as possible? by the way, what kind of business is lakeview? i know it probably says on the sign but the old eyes aren't what they used to be.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

JamLazyAss

Great post Dan.
No reason to remove it that I can see either.
I too had always thought it was to be placed higher.
Looks like several of us have learned something new today. And the day isn't half over!  :tea:

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

~JC~

You got me on that one, Dan. I thought for sure the US flag should be a tad highter, but the protocol says no. Good opportunity to read the rules. Good post. ~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.

JamLazyAss

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

IndyHarley

March 09, 2009, 10:36:27 AM #17 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:55:42 AM by IndyHarley
the US flag must fly on its own right (if viewing from the front it appears on the left) unless it is flown higher than all flags but flying with other Nations' flags it flies at the same height. The picture above has the US flag correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_protocol
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Big Dan

It's an industrial park. Yamaha has their Midwest headquarters there, Audi is in there, and I don't know who all else.

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Seems like to me, and maybe the history buffs will know, that the Texas flag had separate rules apply to it since it was an independent nation when it joined these United States of America.  Maybe the Texas flag is the only State flag which could fly on the same level as the US flag ----- under prior protocol.

I must admit, I am stickler for people who let the US flag hit the ground and then not burn it. 
Seabrook

~JC~

Although every effort should be made to not allow the flag to touch the ground, touching the ground is not a cause for destroying the flag. A flag only needs to be destroyed when is is worn or damaged so bad that it is no longer a fitting represenative of the nation. If it touches the ground and gets dirty, it can be cleaned. ~JC~

RK101

What really gets me is when people fly a flag that is torn and faded. Thursday mornings my friends and I go to this dinner for breakfast. We've been going there for years at least once a week. We asked him a couple of times if he'd get a new flag. Finally it got to the point we told him if the flag is not changed by the next week we wouldn't be back. Pink and light blue and torn is not the colors of our nations flag. I guess he thought not having eight to ten customers walk in the door every week like clock work was not good for business and a flag was cheaper. Place is a gold mine and he's a cheap SOB. If it wasn't for the waitress that serves us I wouldn't go there at all, but she's good people.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

seattledyna

RK, a nice gesture would be to proudly present the diner owner with a new flag, and thank him for his good service over the years :wink:

Panzer

I guess I'm from the old school, I agreed with BigDan.
It takes the young whipper snappers like Specialx to keep us updated.

I still like to see "Old Glory" above the rest.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

specialx1

RK101

March 09, 2009, 12:54:41 PM #25 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:13:34 PM by RK101
Seattledyna

Yes your right that would be a nice jesture,but seeing that this owner has come to this country and got every tax advantage that you and I could only dream of getting. Plus the fact that he could buy and sell the ten of us at least five times over. I figured the least he could do after getting all these advantages and tax breaks he could buy his own darned flag. He personally has not done anything for me as far as service. He just happens to have a great waitress there that we care very much for, she also has lukemia and we help her out with some very large tips of about 50 % of the bill.  If she ever leave's we're not going to be far behind.
If we would have not said anything,that faded and torn flag would still be flying up there on the pole. I'd bet he wouldn't do that with his home land flag, so I take offence to him doing it to mine.

seattledyna

truck

RK101

Truck I don't know but I'm sure it was not done the way it was supposed to be done. That would be asking to much.  We offered to take the old one down fold it in it's proper manner by U.S. Veterans and PGR members and dispose of it for him. The disrespectful POS chose not to do that. . Trust me the day Gail is not able to work there, or is terminated our business will be going elsewhere. He's not the only game in town. There's and IHOP less than 200Yards away. Sorry if I High Jacked the post it was not my intention. apologizes sent to all. .........RK

Norskie

RK101,
No apology needed.  I think bikers are one of the most patriotic groups in the country.  Bikers also tend to be somewhat independent.  Perhaps that is why liberals don't like us very much.  JMHO
Ray J.

jimrookie

I agree US Flag should fly higher. Here in America

Rusty Steel

Good post. I’m rather anal on flag etiquette. I’ve been know to pull my knife and cut the rope holding a battered, torn and/or faded flag hostage.
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

Hossamania

This post makes me think about proper flag etiquette on bikes. I see too many improperly displayed. It should be on your right as you ride if you have 2 flags such as a POW/MIA on your left. So that the US flag is on the left as people see it approach. But I think most here know that!

If I see it improperly displayed, how do gently tell him it's wrong?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

RK101

March 10, 2009, 06:10:33 AM #33 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:20:39 AM by RK101
I did just that on a PGR welcome home ride, and the guy took a bit of and attitude and said yea like it really matters if the American flag flies on the right or left of the POW flag. I didn't argue with him about it, (not worth it) I just figured at that point if he wants to look like someone who doesn't know or doesn't care then that's on him. I just said look at all the other bikes and you'll get you answer. Some just don't know that there actually is a proper way of displaying a flag and are embarassed about when there called on it and take attitude. My god get over it we all make mistakes and it's not the end of the world. The good news is ....He switched them later on that day. :teeth:
As far as how do you tell someone he's wrong in displaying the flag. I did it as politely as possible and the guy still got some attitude,but that's just that case. I'm sure others would welcome your input as long as you can back it up as more than just your opinion, and do it in a civilized manner. I would think each case would be as different as the person your talking to though.

~JC~

Quote from: Hossamania on March 09, 2009, 07:19:37 PM
This post makes me think about proper flag etiquette on bikes. I see too many improperly displayed. It should be on your right as you ride if you have 2 flags such as a POW/MIA on your left. So that the US flag is on the left as people see it approach. But I think most here know that!

If I see it improperly displayed, how do gently tell him it's wrong?

Copy the rules of flag etiquette.  Walk up and say, "I see you like to fly the flag. Here are some interesting tips on how to do that in various situations." ~JC~

tireater

Any tips on flying the mexican flag...? That's all I see around here...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Panzer

Yes Tireater there is.
But for fear of ticking some off and being sent to the woodshed, I'll choose not to say.

I'm dumb, not stupid.

That last remark aught to open up the door for some studious comments, I'm all ears. :smilep:
Don't do it Specialx1.....I hear you laughing!

Good for you RK and your friends too.

Gonzo

Yes Tireater, there is....but it requires a tube of KY, and a lotta wrestling :wink:

Rusty Steel

Tire,
Just fly it upside down... And see all the new friends you can make… Lol. :potstir:
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

specialx1

Like your afraid of the shed Panzer  :hyst: