May 09, 2024, 03:16:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baker OD6 builders kit

Started by easyricer, June 13, 2014, 06:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyricer

So after my customer toasted out the Revtech 6 speed twice then junked it out, I ordered and installed a Baker gear set in the Revtech case. I checked all clearances, installed all new bearings in the case and it shifts beautifully through all gears on the dry run (turning by hand and shifting through the gears, checking for binding, excessive drag, yadda yadda yadda.)

Since it is a true overdrive, the 6th gear is not 1 to 1 but more like .85 ( or something like that) Through the gears, 1st -5th, the tranny (dry) shifts smooth and quiet and rolls smooth and quiet. When I shift it into 6th I hear a gear whine (still turning it by hand). I looked and looked for anything that might be binding, rubbing, or just not right and see nothing. I closed it up, filled with Belray 85-140 and assembled the primary. I'll have it fired back up and running down the road this morning.
To me, the whine sounds a whole lot like the whine that the first Harley 6 speeds had, so I'm not scared to fire the bike up and try it. I'm thinking it may just need a little run-in time.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Nowhereman

I know two guys who have that set up and both trannys whine in overdrive.
Faint with miles on em but you can hear it.
Might have to live with it.
Wind noise at 2500 rpm in 6th will drown out the whine.
Still, it's a good gear set. :wink:
- From Nowhere in particular

JohnCA58

When I installed my OD6 in the bike and rolled it on the lift,  I thought the same thing about the whine in 6.  put it on the road and I completely forgot about it until you just mention it.  everything works great.
YOLO

easyricer

I talked to Mark at Baker and he said the same thing, they all do that, size of the gears and all. Fired the old gal up and went for a 6 mile cruise, no noise what so ever, shifts sweet as can be, neutral on the first try, 6th gear, really big drop in RPM. Hopefully this will be the last time I see the inside of his tranny and primary for a long time....
EASY

les

The OD6 straight cut gears have a tendency to whine.  Helical cut has less tendency to whine.

Deye76

Quote from: easyricer on June 13, 2014, 09:30:55 AM
I talked to Mark at Baker and he said the same thing, they all do that, size of the gears and all. Fired the old gal up and went for a 6 mile cruise, no noise what so ever, shifts sweet as can be, neutral on the first try, 6th gear, really big drop in RPM. Hopefully this will be the last time I see the inside of his tranny and primary for a long time....
EASY

Mine made noise too, loved it though. Revtec have half width gears while the Baker has full width. Pulling a trailer with a OD will yield failure everytime. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kristian

hey easy, roughly how much coin$$$ yah think you got into this new tranny?  not countin labor.
Kris

easyricer

Dealer cost for the OD6 Builders kit was a little over $1800, shipped. It retails at around $2300. Plus a complete primary gasket and seal kit, fluids, and hardware. His bill was $2500 cash. This is the same cat who gave me his original 5 speed tranny a few years ago for a simple wiring job. (always felt a little bad about taking it for a 4 hour job.) He's happy, I'm happy and we both feel good about the whole deal.
EASY

76shuvlinoff

QuoteHe's happy, I'm happy and we both feel good about the whole deal.

And there you have it. I need a 8 acres of pasture cut and I know a guy with a 12-14 ft gull wing mower and a big enough tractor to get it done in a couple hours. He desires a Benelli pump shotgun I took as collateral for a loan, the original owner decided to walk away from it. I am going to swap a shotgun I don't need for a service I do.  2 mowings and some minimal discing this year, we'll call it even, Happy happy. Fuel pricing may throw a wrench in the plans, we'll see. I want him happy with the deal because when I need something done I don't want hesitation or doubt.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kristian

Quote from: easyricer on June 15, 2014, 07:07:33 AM
Dealer cost for the OD6 Builders kit was a little over $1800, shipped. It retails at around $2300. Plus a complete primary gasket and seal kit, fluids, and hardware. His bill was $2500 cash. This is the same cat who gave me his original 5 speed tranny a few years ago for a simple wiring job. (always felt a little bad about taking it for a 4 hour job.) He's happy, I'm happy and we both feel good about the whole deal.
EASY
:up:
Kris