April 30, 2024, 07:03:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Proximity Fob Question?

Started by Ironpig9, October 19, 2020, 08:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironpig9

Been riding my first Softail, a 103 2013 Deluxe, lately. Love the ride, the 6 speed and the 103. What I hate is its proximity fob. Having the fob in my jeans or jacket doesn't seem to work. I literally have to take the fob and put it next to the ignition switch before the security is disengaged. I have installed a new battery in the fob without different results. Is this normal for a proximity fob? Is something in the security system malfunctioning? Personally, I would rather just use the key. Thanks for your input.
"The road goes on forever...."

rigidthumper

The antenna (68956-07, mounted under the seat) may be getting weak, or the FOB transmitter may be getting weak. Double check the voltage of the fob battery- it should be at least 3.2+ to work normally.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jim Bronson

The fob should work anywhere near the bike. If you have a second one, give it a try.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

60wt

had problem with mine, checked fob battery with volt meter showed 2.8 v  (3v battery) figured should be ok ...just for grins tried new fob battery...No more problem...
I'm going nucking futs

Ironpig9

Thanks all for the info. I'm going to check out the antenna since I've got new batteries in both fobs and get the same results with both. I'm also wondering if other electronics I have under the seat may be interfering (rear brake/turn flasher unit and vance & hines fuelpack). May have to borrow a volt meter to check batteries. Thanks again.  :teeth:

Coyote

Lots of stuff can interfere with it.

kd

Other transmitters including at the gas pumps (to the till) have been discussed here before by people that had to push their bikes away from the pumps to get them to start. Under towers was another example experienced.
KD

Appowner

Does this happen just in selected places or does it happen everywhere?

From personal experience some things that can interfere with the Fobs: 
High tension power lines (the big steel towers).  The insulators get old and start to spark.  By law the power company is supposed to find and fix this.  Sometimes their budget forces them to wait until they get complaints.  I've seen them mess with Fobs 100 or more yards away.

How about your smart phone?  They constantly talk to the local cell towers even when turned off.  If they don't "see" a tower they boost their own power out in an effort to find one.  Some phones can burst transmit up to 10 watts (I've linked to satellites 23,000 miles up on less than 7 watts before).  Close to a Fob they can simply overwhelm it with power.  And they can do this burst several times a second so the Fob never has time to recover.

Boosted WiFi signals can impact the entire parking lot of a strip mall.  Usually a bank or credit union is the culprit for this but others can do it as well.  A doctor I go to is in one of these places.  There have been days where I had to place my Fob against the drivers window of my Ford Explorer before it would unlock.  Normally I have 50 yards or so of range on it.  Since I'm no longer up for pushing it, I don't take the bike to that office.

With the proliferation of wireless computer networks (which is really just private WiFi) signal boosters can cause problems from a variety of sources.  As been noted gas pumps, ATMs, toll gates and even that string of cash registers at your local grocery store are all  wireless now.  All transmitting signals that can block what your Fob is trying to do.

Ironpig9

Have been doing some testing today. The original fob which came with the bike now works (although not too far away) while the second fob, which I bought from a local dealer, does not work. I am going to take it back since it's only  been 9 months since purchase. Wish me luck. I checked wiring under seat where the antenna is and all looked good. I like having 2 sets of keys esp. when travelling - I give one set to my riding buddy and he gives me one of his. Just a safeguard.

biggzed

My old 07 Road Glide would give me problems intermittently. I finally had enough and replaced the TSSM with a TSM. No more problems.

Zach

kd

Quote from: Ironpig9 on October 20, 2020, 12:13:34 PM
Have been doing some testing today. The original fob which came with the bike now works (although not too far away) while the second fob, which I bought from a local dealer, does not work. I am going to take it back since it's only  been 9 months since purchase. Wish me luck. I checked wiring under seat where the antenna is and all looked good. I like having 2 sets of keys esp. when travelling - I give one set to my riding buddy and he gives me one of his. Just a safeguard.

If alone you can turn the battery over in your spare and it won't work.  BTW check your spare to ensure that's not why it won't function.  It's an easy mistake.

I have a fresh battery turned over in my spare.  I use that battery when I but fresh ones in the spring and put the fresh one upside down in the spare.  It seems to be working for me but I haven't been forced to use the spare yet (other than my initial test).  At least I know the battery is good.
KD

tomcat64

you can have the smart security system shut off, and simply use your key..

Ironpig9

Before returning to the dealer with the fob I pulled it apart and diddled with the contacts a bit. Took it out to the Deluxe and I'll be darned. The fob worked perfectly even from several feet away. Turns out the problem was bad contact between battery and power contact. I'm a happy guy now. Thanks for everyone's input. Ride on and safely.  :baby:

Appowner

October 27, 2020, 04:16:34 AM #13 Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:22:26 AM by Appowner
Go figure!  I never ran into that in a Fob but it makes sense.  Maybe the tiniest of corrosion, misaligned contact or reduced contact spring pressure.

BTW, for contacts like that a Dollar bill makes a decent burnishing tool.  We use to use them to clean the relay and switch contacts in radios in the old days.  Worked on ignition points too.  A fresh pencil eraser works well too and might be better for inside a Fob.

Ironpig9

It's strange where a problem and trying to solve it will lead you. Ok, as it turns out my fobs work fine. The "problem" , as it turns out, is the clutch safety switch. If I left the bike in gear when parked the fobs didn't do a dang thing - no start. If I left the bike in neutral then the fobs worked and she fired right up. I hate it when you think you have it figured out and it turns out to be something entirely different! But at least I know now.  :scratch:

Panzer

And another happy ending...........  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.