May 08, 2024, 09:54:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TMAX Serial To USB

Started by Eglider05, July 22, 2014, 11:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eglider05

Has anyone else used the serial to USB cable on an older TMAX and had issues? I had this working at one point and now it starts to read a map and takes forever. If I go back to my old laptop with the serial cable it works fine.

Thanks,
Rick

Ajayrk

Update the driver.  Was old computer 32 bit and new computer 64 bit?
AJ

Eglider05

Quote from: Ajayrk on July 22, 2014, 06:35:28 PM
Update the driver.  Was old computer 32 bit and new computer 64 bit?

The driver was supplied with the cable from TMAX. Yes the old was 32 bit (WIN XP) and the new is a 64 (WIN 8.).

Rick

Ajayrk

What brand of serial to usb converter are you using.  Belkins can be a little fussy.
AJ

Eglider05

Quote from: Ajayrk on July 22, 2014, 07:54:42 PM
What brand of serial to usb converter are you using.  Belkins can be a little fussy.

The cable is a Trendnet TU-S9. Any known issues with this cable?

Thanks,
Rick

Ajayrk

No known issues, but version 1 is obsolete and has been replaced by version 2. 

The low cost converters like the one you have have the least amount of compatibility problems.

You could try the win 7 driver. 

http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=150_tu-S9
AJ

Eglider05

Quote from: Ajayrk on July 23, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
No known issues, but version 1 is obsolete and has been replaced by version 2. 

The low cost converters like the one you have have the least amount of compatibility problems.

You could try the win 7 driver. 

http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=150_tu-S9

Cant hurt, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Rick

zoot

I got one from staples which said it was  compatible with win xp to 8.1. Took forever to load from the tmax. changed drivers still the same. I got one from Zipper's and it worked fine. The one from Zipper's is a Sabrent model SBT-USC1M

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: zoot on July 24, 2014, 06:30:10 PM
I got one from staples which said it was  compatible with win xp to 8.1. Took forever to load from the tmax. changed drivers still the same. I got one from Zipper's and it worked fine. The one from Zipper's is a Sabrent model SBT-USC1M

I bought one of the better ones from staples and it has worked far better than the com port on my old XP laptop... Tested on Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 on 2 different laptops..

Max

Eglider05

I think I have a Sabrent here at work. I'll take it home this weekend and give it a try. If that doesn't work I'll make a trip to Staples.

Thanks,
Rick

Ajayrk

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 24, 2014, 08:51:06 PM

I bought one of the better ones from staples and it has worked far better than the com port on my old XP laptop... Tested on Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 on 2 different laptops..

Max

I bought a Belkin from staples long ago.  Each OS up grade required a new driver.  It wasn't suppose to work win 7, but I found a driver on staples site that worked.

AJ

Eglider05

Quote from: Ajayrk on July 25, 2014, 10:20:07 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on July 24, 2014, 08:51:06 PM

Max

I bought a Belkin from staples long ago.  Each OS up grade required a new driver.  It wasn't suppose to work win 7, but I found a driver on staples site that worked.

Thanks, I found a Sabrent which is a different model number than mentioned previously but is supposed to be compatible with win 8.1. If it doesn't work it looks like I have options, just need to find the right combo of driver and cable. It's supposed to rain in my neck of the woods this weekend so I'll have time to fool with it.

Rick

Eglider05

Sabrent CB-FT1M was the ticket, works great. I was tired of dealing with the cord on my old laptop as the battery is shot and I'm not putting another penny in that thing.

Rick

Eglider05

Quote from: Eglider05 on July 26, 2014, 07:41:59 AM
Sabrent CB-FT1M was the ticket, works great. I was tired of dealing with the cord on my old laptop as the battery is shot and I'm not putting another penny in that thing.

Rick

Guess I spoke too soon. Now it reads the module just fine (it wouldn't before) but when I go to do an IAC Auto the screen saying it will start in 25 seconds just sits there, nothing. Hook up my old POS LT and it works fine. Can this still be a cable issue?

Thanks,
Rick

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Eglider05 on July 26, 2014, 09:55:45 AM

Rick

Guess I spoke too soon. Now it reads the module just fine (it wouldn't before) but when I go to do an IAC Auto the screen saying it will start in 25 seconds just sits there, nothing. Hook up my old POS LT and it works fine. Can this still be a cable issue?

Thanks,
Rick

This is the one I've been using and it seems to work fine for Tmax.. It does not work on DTT PC link TC88 tho.. Not sure why..

http://www.staples.com/Staples-USB-to-Serial-Adapter/product_837560

Max

Ajayrk

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 26, 2014, 01:12:37 PM
Quote from: Eglider05 on July 26, 2014, 09:55:45 AM

Rick

Thanks,
Rick

This is the one I've been using and it seems to work fine for Tmax.. It does not work on DTT PC link TC88 tho.. Not sure why..

http://www.staples.com/Staples-USB-to-Serial-Adapter/product_837560

Max

Too bad it doesn't work.  I'm using the same one Max is using.  Bought it a few years ago ~ $50.00.  On line looks much cheaper.
AJ

Eglider05

Looks I'll have to order one from Staples.

Thanks,
Rick