April 27, 2024, 03:51:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

primary oil

Started by HarleyGuy4657, November 07, 2008, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarleyGuy4657

What type of oil should I use in the primary on ma 76? I have auto trans fluid in it now (type F) I think. The problem that I am having Is when the reves get up in 3rd and 4th gear it starts to slip. I had the same problem back years ago on a 71 but dont remember what I did to fix.

olpigiron

I Run  VALVOLINE VR1 sae 50
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

hogwilde1

harley has been making tranny oil for sporty's for years, been using it in my 1980 xls with no problems, 5$ a quart around here

jmanjeff

It sounds more like  the fibers plates may be bad   
1957  Sportster

pl6344

before the sporty had there own primary fluid they used to recommend same as used in the engine.never had a problem with it

Thermos

There is a Lucas brand of oil that you can use in both the primary and your motor.

help-u2

run a heaver engine oil in there.  a.t.f. seems a bit thin for tranny gears.  shear and such..
i run a 40 wt nondetergent cause regular oil eats the belt in my belt drive. 
figgured that out 20 years ago when went through belt every other year.
now belt last 10+ years.  it was the detergent...
while your in there might as well check the plates...a guy can glasss bead or sand glaze off the steel.  mike the fiber ones

xxxflhrci

30wt non-detergent motor oil at about a buck a quart has worked for the past 30 years in my '77.  It has 53k miles on it and still has the original clutch plates.

saltcaveminer

i really like the redline 75w90 oil (gl-5).very smooth shifting and works well in most temps.Salty