May 08, 2024, 04:20:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

K&P engineering oil filter

Started by kgjl, August 08, 2014, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jam65

Quote from: gordonr on August 09, 2014, 01:54:52 PM
The only down side I've found is cleaning these stainless media type filters properly. Doing it requires an ultra sonic cleaner like something from harbor freight. 30 to 40 bucks.
Please tell us why this procedure is a must needed part of using a stainless mesh filter.

No Cents

I think Gordon is saying the ultra sonic cleaner will clean items pretty much pristine.
I've seen one used on jewelry before...it made the pieces look brand new after they were cleaned in it.  :nix:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

mr_natural78

I have the PC racing flo filter. A buddy gave it to me for Christmas. I like it. The main benefit for me is being able to see what it catches when cleaning it. A little sign of engine health and early warning of problems. Well worth the extra cleaning work when changing oil. I am a tattoo artist. We use ultra sonic cleaners on reusable parts before hand cleaning and sterilizing them. They work very well for dislodging gunk. A very good idea for cleaning these. The ones tattoo shops use are made by crest and are 250-300 depending on model and size though.
2000 FXDX, 113ci, HTCC CNC heads, 116hp/127tq

a2wheeler

K&P Engineering is a small shop , small staff, and the owner insists on quality or it does not go out the door. Good stuff, made in Littleton, Colorado. A friend of mine worked for the owner and and sometimes went to Sturgis for him. Highly recommend them.

Mountainman streetbob

K&P  :up: :up: :up: I use this on my shark and street bob. Works great!
Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

sfmichael

bought mine from Powersport in 2012 and paid $88 w/free shipping - no issues
Colorado Springs, CO.

gordonr

Quote from: jam65 on August 09, 2014, 03:44:42 PM
The only down side I've found is cleaning these stainless media type filters properly. Doing it requires an ultra sonic cleaner like something from harbor freight. 30 to 40 bucks.
Please tell us why this procedure is a must needed part of using a stainless mesh filter.

I run Pure power filters and just didn't feel a spray can of brakelean and air was enough or repeatable. So I looked into the industry that cleans aircraft and industrial filters. They all use ulrasonic cleaning methods so it was a no brainer and it was cheap to buy.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

No Cents

:up:
thanks for the tip on the cleaner Gordon!
Here is the one I'm buying. It has a 2 liter cleaner area and it's made out of stainless steel.

Ray

[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

gordonr

Quote from: No Cents on August 10, 2014, 05:35:29 AM
    :up:
thanks for the tip on the cleaner Gordon!
Here is the one I'm buying. It has a 2 liter cleaner area and it's made out of stainless steel.

Ray

[attach=0]

Where did you find that one Ray? Looks beefy
"If was easy everyone would do it"

No Cents

E-Bay.  $75.98 buy it now price or best offer.
I offered $65.00...if they don't accept that...I'll do the buy it now price.
It retails $599.00 and has free shipping. It's a factory direct item.
Here is a little better picture.
Ray

[attach=0]

WI Bob

I tried the K&P filter after seeing it in Sturgis last year. It is now off and sold for three reasons.
1. It doubled my oil change time and increased my clean up.
2. For the first time ever, I could see some specks in the oil I drained out. And a bit on the plug.
3. I like to tap a hole in the bottom of the filter to let it drain and minimize the mess.
Just here for the women.

Ohio HD

August 10, 2014, 11:11:04 AM #37 Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:38:10 AM by Ohio HD
Quote from: WI Bob on August 10, 2014, 11:05:03 AM
I tried the K&P filter after seeing it in Sturgis last year. It is now off and sold for three reasons.
2. For the first time ever, I could see some specks in the oil I drained out. And a bit on the plug.
3. I like to tap a hole in the bottom of the filter to let it drain and minimize the mess.

I've never own one Bob, so #2 doesn't apply to me, but #1 and #2 #3 is what kept me from ever buying one. I'm taking a break from cleaning my Ultra at the moment, that in it's self is a JOB! Mostly why I don't ride it much, gets dirty easy, and takes forever to clean.

No Cents

August 10, 2014, 11:31:40 AM #38 Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:37:50 AM by No Cents
 Bob...on reply #2 you said for the 1st time you seen specks in the oil and on your drain plug.
Why would you think an oil filter would have anything to do with what you seen? I don't see this as a reason to stop using the K&P oil filter you had. Don't you think that a standard replacement filter would have produced the same findings you seen?
I'm not having a warm fuzzy feeling when your telling us your seeing flakes come out with your engine oil and they were also stuck to your drain plug.
Me personally...I don't have a problem cleaning this kind of filter. I like the idea of seeing what it has captured with this kind of a filter and I have ran the bigger magnetic Dimple drain plugs that I take the extra time to clean them thoroughly before installing them back in. I'm never in that big of a hurry when it comes to working on my bike...be it routine maintenance or a project a little more in depth.

Ray

added later:
I thought this kind of oil filter was better for catching anything in your oil with it's superior filtering?

FXDBI

Added bonus with the re-usable filter is 1 piece less garbage to the landfill for the grandchildren and there children to contend with in the future. Oil filters are hazardous waste in the landfills and I believe we should lead by example.  Bob

a2wheeler

Ohio HD, A dirty bike is a ridden one.

Bob, #1 is true for more time. My mess is the same. But it takes me a lot longer to clean the K&N Air Filter than to clean this oil filter. The air filter , I have to wait for it to dry.

Ohio HD

Quote from: a2wheeler on August 10, 2014, 12:34:16 PM
Ohio HD, A dirty bike is a ridden one.

Bob, #1 is true for more time. My mess is the same. But it takes me a lot longer to clean the K&N Air Filter than to clean this oil filter. The air filter , I have to wait for it to dry.

And a dirty bike cleaned, is sill a ridden one.....    :teeth:

BlackSpecial

My K&P arrived last Monday.  Black anodized.  Install will be on the next oil change.  :up:
2014 FLHXS,561-1 cams,JWP heads,TTS,Ness a/c,Jackpot 2-1-2 pipe,Crushers

Mountainman streetbob

Quote from: gordonr on August 10, 2014, 05:06:42 AM
Quote from: jam65 on August 09, 2014, 03:44:42 PM

I run Pure power filters and just didn't feel a spray can of brakelean and air was enough or repeatable. So I looked into the industry that cleans aircraft and industrial filters. They all use ulrasonic cleaning methods so it was a no brainer and it was cheap to buy.

If you are a gun owner an untrasonic cleaner big enough to clean you rifles and pistols is also VERY handy to clean your bike parts!

My ultrasonic cleaner is an older one I got second hand but it fits to complete 20" barreled ar uppers OR 2 2 26" barreled bolt actions in it.... Something to think about? I also can clean a few THOUSAND 300 win mag brass at a time!

If you look around there are some real nice ones out there available for between 5 and 9 benjamins.

Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

FSG

or use wifeys jewellery untrasonic cleaner when she's not looking    :wink:

Deye76

Quote from: FSG on August 10, 2014, 02:16:27 PM
or use wifeys jewellery untrasonic cleaner when she's not looking    :wink:

I just knew when I built my garage it needed a kitchen....not for cookin' but an oven for heating bearing races, powder coating etc., and a dishwasher for cleaning parts.  :hyst:  (You know I already have the fridge)  :wink: :beer:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

No Cents

It's never too late to add in some changes to the Garage Mahal John   :potstir:

Ray

rbabos

Quote from: WI Bob on August 10, 2014, 11:05:03 AM
I've run into #1 and #2 on my aircraft. Went back to regular filters. On occasion cleaning the media I could see the odd particle trying to pop through and almost made it. The media eventually gets quite a bit of non cleanable debri stuck in it. Also the cleaning end, I felt I was more of an enviromental hazard then taking my old filter to a dedicated drop off location. Same place as the old oil.
Ron

WI Bob

Ray,
When I switched back to the regular filter, no more specks in the oil. At least none that I could see floating in the oil. So I will deduct that they are always there and a good filter catches more of them.
There was just a touch of stuff caught on the plug magnet this time. Residual from oil in coolers and case?
May or may not be related to the filter and I may have something wearing. Oil sample will tell.

To the other note. I am a reloader and have an ultrasonic cleaner. Still bugged me about the extra steps to go through.
And I do agree we should save our landfills.  :up:
Bob
Just here for the women.

No Cents

this is what I was talking about Bob.
This is an absolute filter compared to the regular spin on oil filters.

[attach=0]