April 19, 2024, 12:09:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1980 sporty stopped running

Started by Dixond78, August 30, 2014, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixond78

Messages - Dixond78

Pages: [1]

Iron Head / Re: Ironhead newbie« on: Today at 07:21:22 AM »

Need some help just got my first Harley it a 1980 ironhead but have had some issues with it but have worked most of them out until the other day. I was driving down the road when all the sudden the motorcycle stop I coasted to a stop.I hit my starter button and nothing happened.after getting it home and doing some testing on it I found that I had power to my starter button if the harness in the headlight was unhooked when it was hooked up I had no power to my starter button.would this be the starter relay or if anybody has any input it would be a big help thank you.

chopper

First thing I'd look for is a bad ground..... somewhere. Iron heads are notorious for vibrating, and I've seen a LOT of cracked/broken battery grounds.
If it can't get a solid ground, it will "feedback" through another circuit, looking for one.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Dixond78

I will check all of them. I did check the one that come from the head light it runs to the oil filter bracket.  Thank you.

Racepres

Quote from: Dixond78 on August 30, 2014, 05:48:15 PM
I will check all of them. I did check the one that come from the head light it runs to the oil filter bracket.  Thank you.
I would need a Picture of that one. Never seen nutin like that!!

Dixond78

A pic of the harness unhooked with power to the starter switch?

Dixond78

So I found a ground that was about snapped off on the Starter. Got power back to the starter switch. And all that I can get now is a small sound coming from the starter rely. I did replace the points for the timing before all of this happened.

Mailman

Quote from: Dixond78 on August 31, 2014, 05:08:10 PM
So I found a ground that was about snapped off on the Starter. Got power back to the starter switch. And all that I can get now is a small sound coming from the starter rely. I did replace the points for the timing before all of this happened.

1980 should have electronic ignition if I remember.

Sounds like your relay is bad.

Trying jumping the solenoid ?

Dixond78

I tried to jump the solenoid and it did make work but I did not turn the starter over. I jumped the starter and it did work.

Mailman

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 01, 2014, 07:38:01 PM
I tried to jump the solenoid and it did make work but I did not turn the starter over. I jumped the starter and it did work.

Replace the relay.  They're nothing special, any auto parts store will have one.  Had the same problem on my '81 long ago.

Btw, there's also an excellent ironhead forum at http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Dixond78

I will do that thanks I will let you know what happens

Mailman

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 01, 2014, 07:55:07 PM
I will do that thanks I will let you know what happens

Also, as you've seen, you can also just wire a starter button, and bypass the other stuff.

Just make sure you hide it if you do  :)

Dixond78

if this all dose not work I will look into doing that

Racepres

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 01, 2014, 07:38:01 PM
Something is wrong!!!
When the solenoid is engaged, the Starter motor should be also!!!

Dixond78

the Solenoid is engaging the starter. But no power to my starter button when the points are touching is this because I have a bad coil.I have no spark.

Racepres

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 02, 2014, 04:06:05 PM
the Solenoid is engaging the starter. But no power to my starter button when the points are touching is this because I have a bad coil.I have no spark.
Sounds like your battery is Past dead!!!!
Or...More probably, I don't understand the Symptoms!!!
Coils are very easy to "Check" take it to the NAPA store!!!!

Dixond78

I hooked up my battery to my battery on my bike. I jumped the solenoid and it turned over I tried to start it but nothing so I pulled the spark plug and no spark. When it comes to the starter button I only get power to it only when the points for the timing are not touching. The ground wire that goes to the coil.

Dixond78

Sorry the battery from my truck. The ground wire that goes to the points runs to the ground on the coil.

Racepres

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 02, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
I hooked up my battery to my battery on my bike. I jumped the solenoid and it turned over I tried to start it but nothing so I pulled the spark plug and no spark. When it comes to the starter button I only get power to it only when the points for the timing are not touching. The ground wire that goes to the coil.

Something is Very Wrong with your wiring.....
Unhook everything...Everything. Put the hot [+12v] on the one side of the coil, and the neg [-12v] on the ground [frame] of the Bike. Turn it over [even with the rear wheel off the ground if No Kicker]
Spark??

Dixond78

Racepres

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 02, 2014, 06:22:35 PM
I will try that. Thanks
Good...But, when disconnecting...Leave the wire from the Points to the coil as well [opposite side from the +12v.
If it has Electronic ignition...Well...We need to get a Look inside the Points Cover [the cone].
As there will be No Spark without energizing the E.I.
As Always....Pictures!!!!!! Pictures Please

Dixond78

The battery is shot. But I put a new one on it. It now turns over.I think it is the timing . before all of this happened I had put a new set of points on it. I dint think it was that because it just dint make sense to me that this would cause this kind of problem. What do you think?

Racepres

Quote from: Dixond78 on September 02, 2014, 07:26:22 PM
The battery is shot. But I put a new one on it. It now turns over.I think it is the timing . before all of this happened I had put a new set of points on it. I dint think it was that because it just dint make sense to me that this would cause this kind of problem. What do you think?
Since I do Not know your experience level...I suspect the points set-up and timing...
But, I'm a Pessimist!
If you have a Manual...for a Harley with Points...That will suffice. Or..If you are Proficient with that set-up...my apologies...But, I still suspect Ignition.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

olpigiron

Do these bikes have a kill switch? If so maybe it is grounding out. I don't understand a ground wire going from the coil to the points.
If memory serves me right, I thought the coil had a hot running to it on one side, and a hot running to the points on the
other side. Maybe I'm thinking wrong.  :nix:
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Racepres

Quote from: olpigiron on September 07, 2014, 07:44:13 AM
Do these bikes have a kill switch? If so maybe it is grounding out. I don't understand a ground wire going from the coil to the points.
If memory serves me right, I thought the coil had a hot running to it on one side, and a hot running to the points on the
other side. Maybe I'm thinking wrong.  :nix:
A grounded kill switch would pop a breaker [or fuse].
All coils function by applying current thru them, then removing it [charge/discharge]
or 12v ito one side and ground on the other momentarily [a trigger] that is what the points do, apply a ground on/off.
The condenser keeps the small points from arching [burning]
A shorted condenser, will hold a ground on the output lead, an open condenser will allow arching and the engine will probably Not Accelerate.
Howzat???

olpigiron

QuoteA grounded kill switch would pop a breaker [or fuse].
All coils function by applying current thru them, then removing it [charge/discharge]
or 12v ito one side and ground on the other momentarily [a trigger] that is what the points do, apply a ground on/off.
The condenser keeps the small points from arching [burning]
A shorted condenser, will hold a ground on the output lead, an open condenser will allow arching and the engine will probably Not Accelerate.
Howzat???

Racepres....You are absolutely correct....I went brain dead for a little while (too much whiskey)  :bf:.
Thanks for the wake up call! 
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Racepres

Quote from: olpigiron on September 08, 2014, 04:37:28 PM
Racepres....You are absolutely correct....I went brain dead for a little while (too much whiskey)  :bf:.
Thanks for the wake up call!

Not a Wake up call at all...Just trying to help a small bit...When I'm in the "juice" watch-out!!!
I won't be being the one who does any Judging!!!! :bike: