March 28, 2024, 07:10:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1980 sporty stopped running

Started by Dixond78, August 30, 2014, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racepres

Quote from: olpigiron on September 07, 2014, 07:44:13 AM
Do these bikes have a kill switch? If so maybe it is grounding out. I don't understand a ground wire going from the coil to the points.
If memory serves me right, I thought the coil had a hot running to it on one side, and a hot running to the points on the
other side. Maybe I'm thinking wrong.  :nix:
A grounded kill switch would pop a breaker [or fuse].
All coils function by applying current thru them, then removing it [charge/discharge]
or 12v ito one side and ground on the other momentarily [a trigger] that is what the points do, apply a ground on/off.
The condenser keeps the small points from arching [burning]
A shorted condenser, will hold a ground on the output lead, an open condenser will allow arching and the engine will probably Not Accelerate.
Howzat???

olpigiron

QuoteA grounded kill switch would pop a breaker [or fuse].
All coils function by applying current thru them, then removing it [charge/discharge]
or 12v ito one side and ground on the other momentarily [a trigger] that is what the points do, apply a ground on/off.
The condenser keeps the small points from arching [burning]
A shorted condenser, will hold a ground on the output lead, an open condenser will allow arching and the engine will probably Not Accelerate.
Howzat???

Racepres....You are absolutely correct....I went brain dead for a little while (too much whiskey)  :bf:.
Thanks for the wake up call! 
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Racepres

Quote from: olpigiron on September 08, 2014, 04:37:28 PM
Racepres....You are absolutely correct....I went brain dead for a little while (too much whiskey)  :bf:.
Thanks for the wake up call!

Not a Wake up call at all...Just trying to help a small bit...When I'm in the "juice" watch-out!!!
I won't be being the one who does any Judging!!!! :bike: