May 08, 2024, 02:16:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

screaming eagle ignition

Started by jessejamez, August 21, 2014, 08:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessejamez

I have a short somewhere in the wiring harness that comes from my screaming eagle ignition. I know this because when I move that group of wires the bike stalls. I don't know if it's before or after the connector but to check continuity for each wire would mean significantly messing up the insulation and I'd rather not. I wonder if anyone knows of some way to figure out which wire is broken underneath the insulation without having to remove it on each wire. perhaps off the bike? maybe placing a voltage on one wire and checking if the others that what they should? I don't know. I just would rather not have to mate it ugly. Thanks!

andyxlh

I agree I'd want to keep the insulation good too. Perhaps use a multimeter set to resistance (or ohms). Look on the wiring diagram to find both ends of the wires and touch the meter leads to each end of the wire. It should read zero ohms for all of them. you can also touch the motor casings with one lead and touch each pin in turn to see which one is earthed to the body. One should be, but no more than that.
Patience and a clear wiring diagram are the only way out of these problems...
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

hdbikedoc

:up: usualy see the break on right side of neck near the p clamp that holdsthe harness ,just turn on ignition and move these wires to fine
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked