May 09, 2024, 03:07:29 PM

News:

Another primary chain tensioner question

Started by Master Chief, September 03, 2014, 09:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Chief

Bought a 2014 FLHTCU and have been reading all of the posts on the chain tensioner.  My question is at around what mileage should I start pulling the cover and checking the chain tension.  I have about 3K on it now after 2 months and don't want to go to far without checking it.  I'm thinking about going with the Hayden unit when I do pull the cover.  I had one in my Softail and it worked pretty good.
Horsepower is measured in terms of cubic dollars.

Skin

Personally, I'd be more concerned about voiding your warranty than what that tensioner is doing. But, when the time comes, a Hayden will work nice.

Jswerve

rbabos

When to check tensioner? Never. Likely will never cause problems. If you hear chain slap or unusual whine appears out of the blue, then look.  :wink:
Ron

bigfoot5x

Why  are you worried about the primary tensioner? They give very little trouble. Don't worry about it until you hear an odd noise. I traded a 07 bike in with 95,000 miles on it with no problems. Lots of guys here I don't understand. Before Harley put in the auto tensioner, these guys would install a Hayden auto tensioner.  Kind of understood that idea but I very seldom had to adjust the chain tension on multiple bikes. Then when Harley started using the auto tensioner, they either griped about it and/or some have even gone back to manually adjusting the chain tension. It's like nothing is good enough or right.

I am upgrading cams and just installed a SE clutch spring so I took a look at the chain and tensioner. Tension was great and the tensioner looked almost brand new with 20,000 miles on it.

hardheaded

my auto tensioner was wearing uneven and was very very tight. much improvment with the baker

Oclaf

Quote from: bigfoot5x on September 03, 2014, 11:18:21 AM
Why  are you worried about the primary tensioner? They give very little trouble. Don't worry about it until you hear an odd noise. I traded a 07 bike in with 95,000 miles on it with no problems. Lots of guys here I don't understand. Before Harley put in the auto tensioner, these guys would install a Hayden auto tensioner.  Kind of understood that idea but I very seldom had to adjust the chain tension on multiple bikes. Then when Harley started using the auto tensioner, they either griped about it and/or some have even gone back to manually adjusting the chain tension. It's like nothing is good enough or right.

I am upgrading cams and just installed a SE clutch spring so I took a look at the chain and tensioner. Tension was great and the tensioner looked almost brand new with 20,000 miles on it.

:agree: I only put hayden's on my bikes as they are last century bikes, 98's...if I was to buy a new Harley, that would be the farthest thing from my mind on what to "improve"...not crazy, but simple head work and cams...nothing that would necessitate other 'upgrades'...as bikes like cars, from the factory have the absolute minimum in those two areas, you can put a 'big sucka' air cleaner, or a this filter, cool looking pipes that sound loud or rumble, but those wont give you boost you would appreciate at a minimal cost as some head work and cams...not sure of Harley's but even new cars have a better exhaust than the heads and cam...they are practically factory headers in their role for exhaust flow...just not enough coming out...new bumpstick and flowing heads...easy power and if not excessive wont cause you to use that warranty.

76shuvlinoff

I've got about almost 6000 miles on my EG, 1500+ miles on a BT07 Hayden. Cold shifting is silent. At no point does the shifting get difficult but once warmed up you are back to the usual clank going into 2nd and 3rd. I have adjusted the clutch and cable by the book 4 times.

The whirring at idle that I expected to go away has not, might even be a bit louder now. I've ran Redline MTL, Ford ATF, B&M Trickshift and now some 10w 40 Rotella. I have not seen the Golden Spectro 85w locally or I would have tried that by now.

The Hayden M6 version I have in my shovel has been a wonderful addition. I can't really say the same for this newer version in my TC.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway