May 09, 2024, 01:10:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Good tuner in SoCal

Started by Master Chief, September 18, 2014, 09:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Chief

I have a 2014 Ultra Classic and I'm looking at replacing the head pipe with one that has the CAT removed.  I understand that there may be issues with the tuning and the 02's cross talking.  I'm looking for a good tuner in the Southern California area that I could work with on this project.  The bike is stock and except for changing the exhaust a little I plan to leave it stock, maybe an air cleaner change but that's it.  I just want to have a good running touring bike for me and mama.  I have my other Harley to hot rod on.  :scoot:
Horsepower is measured in terms of cubic dollars.

HogMike

Quote from: Master Chief on September 18, 2014, 09:09:19 AM
I have a 2014 Ultra Classic and I'm looking at replacing the head pipe with one that has the CAT removed.  I understand that there may be issues with the tuning and the 02's cross talking.  I'm looking for a good tuner in the Southern California area that I could work with on this project.  The bike is stock and except for changing the exhaust a little I plan to leave it stock, maybe an air cleaner change but that's it.  I just want to have a good running touring bike for me and mama. I have my other Harley to hot rod on.  :scoot:

Suggest  you give Steve a call at Fullsac, (there are others)  just go with the "stage 1" kit, no drama, bolt on and go.
JMHO, but, did quite a few here with excellent results.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

q1svt

SoCal & good tuners... be careful

Your basically looking for a stage 1, if you can wrench a little I would do it yourself;
e.g. work with Fuel Moto or Kuryakyn to purchase their AC, pipes, mufflers, and turner [TTS/PV with their developed map]

I was going to say if you don't like the look of Kury's PD head pipe can buy V&H PD... but Kury has a new heat shield for their pipe.    :up: :up: :up: Mike Roland
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4670/Crusher-Clean-Power-Cell-Heat-Shield

Yes, it's a canned map but it's from a respected seller and they spent time developing it specific to their products...
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

Y2KRKNG

ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Master Chief

Let me clarify something here.  I'm getting a stock head pipe that has had the CAT cleaned out and welded back up, not an after market head pipe.  This way I have a head pipe with the EPA stamps on in case I get checked which is not very likely but why take a chance.  Most likely the only other change would be to the air cleaner, maybe a stage 1 kit.  I plan on running the stock mufflers at this time.  I have read on here in a different post that gutting the CAT could cause cross talk with the 02 sensors.  I'm trying not to have to buy new head pipes and other exhaust items.  I want to keep this bike as close to stock as I can, just trying to get rid of some of the heat on my wife's right leg and maybe make a little more noise but nothing that would make my eyes cross after a long ride.

CowboyTutt

Barry at Kiwi Performance in Riverside, CA is one of the most methodical tuners I have ever seen.  He collects all the data manually at part throttle settings and under different loads with wide band sensors in the bungs and tunes each cylinder individually.  I drive 550 miles to have him break in and tune all my engines.  His number is 951 901 9898 or you can email him at dynotuning@att.net  He usually gets back to me by email within a few days at worst.  He's also a very nice friendly guy to deal with.  Tell him Andy from NorCal sent you.   -Tutt 

Master Chief

Thanks for the lead Tutt.  I'll talk to him before buying the head pipe just to make sure that I'm not spending money on the wrong item.  I'll tell him you said hi.

CowboyTutt

Thanks Bro.  Is that your bike in the pic?  I guess it can't be, it has a different exhaust.  Nice pic though.   -Tutt 

Master Chief

Yes that is my 2000 FLSTC, slightly modified.  The bike I have the tuner questions on is a new 2014 Ultra that I bought for touring.

CowboyTutt

Very nice ride!!!!!  -Tutt 

Master Chief

Thanks, it was a lot of fun putting that together.  I pumped the engine up to a 103", installed a 6 speed tranny and a 3" open primary belt drive.  It's fun to ride.  :chop: