April 27, 2024, 09:47:10 AM

News:

voltage regulator problems

Started by 06roadking, July 16, 2015, 05:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06roadking

I have a 2012 Ultra Limited, to date I have had 4 voltage regulators replaced. The first one was due to recall, just over 1k miles.The second one was 6 months later, just over 5k miles. The 3rd one took out the fuel pump, speedometer, battery indicator and fuel gauge, just over 13k miles. The last one was last week, just over 16 k miles. I just seems that Harley is getting bad parts from a supply source and passes the cost on to us. Luckily I had the first three changed under warranty. Is there any hope that calling the Moco I could get an answer as to why my bike keeps burning up the regulators? I am afraid to take the bike on any long trips for fear of being stranded somewhere. I mean I bought a touring bike and can't go on long distance rides because I don't feel comfortable about making it to my destination.

Thanks

CW#

Rather than continue dealing with HD considering the history you are having I would buy an aftermarket regulator (such as Cycle Electric) after having the output of the stator/rotor checked.

I went through the same thing with ignition switches... bought a replacement from J&P for switch #4 at 1/4 the cost and the problem went away.
Whut Me Wurry?

Just Nick

Order the ce-608 and be done with it it is a high mount regulator so it gets away from the oil cooler. Comes with a two year warranty from cycle electric can't get any better
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

PC_Hater

Agreed. Cycle Electric and it all works.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Buffalo

Has HD ever pulled the primary and actually inspected the rotor/ stator assembly, to make sure its not partially burnt or shorting to ground at the wires. Has the rotor been slipping or tore the splines off due to poor compensator fit/tension.
I'd be tempted to install a complete Cycle Electric system. Its my understanding reading the CE warranties that it applies to complete systems.  Buffalo

Just Nick

Cycle electrics warranty applies to the full systems and also to individual components. Its for everything they make and sell Great company
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

todsho

As stated by others, Get the CE608 from Cycle electric. Just went through the same thing on my 2012 Ultra Limited...installed the Cycle Electric regulator and all is good..great product!
No matter where your at, Act like it's the place to be.