April 18, 2024, 01:48:04 AM

News:

Kicking Old Iron

Started by Ironyman, October 08, 2014, 09:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironyman

Picked up an old '76 XLCH. Finally got it running after finding out the new battery was low. Still wasn't the easiest thing to start. Check weights and timing. Had to order points and plugs. Should be in tomorrow. (The plugs in it I was told are new) Just buffed the points and gapped for now. Checked the Push Rod adjustment. Carb was just rebuilt by the PO. Or as he said a 'Mechanic' did the job. This mechanic is a full time Cop so I guess just a part time mechanic. Don't know if he ever held a mechanic job. I think the carb may at least still need some adjusting. Has a new carb cable. But it sticks open some times when I pull in the clutch. Looks like the front Cylinder is smoking a little. The engine makes a popping noise every now and then. Haven't done a compression check yet. Trying a little ATF soak right now. Last inspection sticker on it was in '94. The guy I got it from had it for a year and was running it with a tag off another bike. He said he didn't know anything of its history before then. So I'm thinking the rings might be stuck.
Any way, On YouTube there are a lots of Videos of people kicking off different kinds of old Harleys. Some seem to kick off pretty easy. Some with a little more effort. Even one of a 12 year old girl kicking off her Daddies Shovel Head. With some of the kick backs I've experienced from mine there would be no way I would let a 12 year old try it.
But I'm thinking if every thing is adjusted just right then starting it won't be so mush of a problem as it is now. If everything is right do Kick Backs go away?

Panzer

October 08, 2014, 05:54:28 PM #1 Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:21:57 AM by Panzer
If everything is right do Kick Backs go away?

Simply put......no!

Best way that I have always done it, was to bring it up on compression (after priming) and lay the leg to her, straight down.
Good luck, keep us informed.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Ironyman

"was to bring it up on compression (after priming) and lay the leg to her, straight down."

That's about the way I do it. But some times I end up going up instead of down.
I went back to youtube to get the title and found there are a few more with girls and kids kicking the bikes. If kick backs never go away I don't think I would let a child try it. But I guess that's just me.

"Harley kick-starting by 12 year old girl"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh0OLiNeJyI

She does pretty good with it. Another:

Girl kick starting a Harley Ironhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWb2t8T7mX4

Looks like she has about as much luck with it as I do mine.
Does that mean I Kick like a Girl? :scratch:
But at least it don't look like she experiences any kick back.
I'm sure as I get every thing closer to right and get to know the bike better it won't be so bad.

Panzer

Ironyman,
When I had my first kicker, people use to tell me if you don't kick it right it will send you over the handle bars........baloney.
My first two bikes were kickers, a 45 ci and a 1961 (new) FLH.
If you make kicking a full stroke & hefty, doing that, I've had very little kick back.
Again, if you keep it tuned, you'll do well.
Kicks are a way of the bike telling you, "I'm here".
Practice makes perfect, till then, I'd invest in Ben Gay.   :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

saltcaveminer

When I start my 70 xlch I kick her three or four times with the key off.I think it builds my confidence that the internals are free and ready to go.Then bring her up to compression and kick thru the floor.Sometimes when they don't cooperate we start to get sloppy with our kicks and the inevitable kickback occurs.Salty

bobrk1

had a ch with a mag, points at .015 and plugs at .025, ran a su carb started most times 3 or less. I bring up the compression and keep right leg straight on pedel and swing left around and down so I wouldn't mess up knee lol also I would prime it with ign off a couple of kicks to get some gas in the cly, started good when cold didn't have to hot 1 kick.

Racepres

Don't know about straight leg, bent knee, right, left,...Hell! My partner can start his Panhead with his hand!!!
Kickback is too much timing...Period.
Kick-thru [the only way I have ever witnessed someone being hurt by a Kicker] is either poor [~] parts or "unloading" the kicker just before kicking...Finally if it was Not called Kicking, Most would do better.. More Effort is Not an answer, kicking harder is gonna cause problems.
It should be called "Pushing" If you Push the pedal thru, with authority [Just drop yer hip]. Good things will occur.

nibroc

Quote from: Racepres on November 27, 2014, 07:04:30 AM
Don't know about straight leg, bent knee, right, left,...Hell! My partner can start his Panhead with his hand!!!
Kickback is too much timing...Period.
Kick-thru [the only way I have ever witnessed someone being hurt by a Kicker] is either poor [~] parts or "unloading" the kicker just before kicking...Finally if it was Not called Kicking, Most would do better.. More Effort is Not an answer, kicking harder is gonna cause problems.
It should be called "Pushing" If you Push the pedal thru, with authority [Just drop yer hip]. Good things will occur.

yeah---long as the kicker gear doesn't miss a cog or 2

Racepres

Quote from: nibroc on November 28, 2014, 03:21:20 PM
yeah---long as the kicker gear doesn't miss a cog or 2
^^ Right...It Kicks thru...Hyper-extending your knee generally. Less likely if you take care Not to Unload the kicker as you begin the kick.

If it is Not due to unloading the lever...ya need a Better parts supplier!!!

tomcat64

xl's kick slightly different than BT's,, the kicker goes a little past the 6 oclock position and you need to be sure to push "all the way thru"  there is a reason they call it sportster knee!!

Ironyman

After doing a leak down test, it looks like I have bad exhaust valves. Hopefully once I correct this starting will become a whole lots easier.