April 19, 2024, 02:38:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wrong Parts From Dealership

Started by Ironyman, October 10, 2014, 09:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironyman

Went by and picked up my new points, plugs, and inspection plate gasket. My old gasket was Home made. This is a '76 XLCH. I got the gasket and looked at it. It was a cork ring type gasket with no holes for the screws to go though. I asked them about that and told them I didn't think it was right.  :emsad: The parts guy that took my order last week wasn't there. So this one guy was looking it up on the computer and asked 'what year'. Another guy was looking at the packaging. When I said the year the guy looking at the package said these gaskets say for '74 and older. The guy at the computer ask for more details and then said he found it and that it has two notches, not holes. I said that sounds more like it. I asked if there was a picture of it. He said 'yes' and turned the computer around so I could see it. He has looking at the Generator. I told him 'no, I want the gasket for the plate that covers the points' :gob:. After some more looking he told me that year had electronic ignition. Said it went from '71 to '78 with EI. :wtf: I told him that's not right. After some more looking he said EI for that year was all he could find :nix:. I told him to look under Right Crank Case Cover. He did and then found the right gasket and had one in stock. Great :teeth:. Then I asked him are y'all sure these are the right points and plugs. He assured me they were. Well, I should had looked then. I just opened up the box of plugs. They are Gapless. They take the smaller plug wench. They are Champion G54V. I'm pretty sure they are not the right ones. What plug should I run? Clymers says, Average use: H-D 4 or Hard use: H-D 5. What plugs for the easiest cranking?
Point are most likely wrong too. They are Blue Streak, part number on the back says: 31387MC H/D-KIT1 ALT. B.
I've ordered the HD parts book. But I doubt it will be delivered by this weekend. Most likely won't help me on the Blue Streak part numbers anyway. I'm not home yet to compare parts. But wouldn't want to cut open the Bubble package of the points to compare unless I'm pretty sure they are the right ones anyway. I think the threaded part of the plugs are longer on the new ones and maybe even a smaller diameter.  :emoGroan:

garyajaz

this is a harley shop?
most don't even work on evos not alone irons.
anyway from using blue streaks for many years
(from memory) the number is dr2240X
but that's for blue streak. like a 6 cyl chev.
some drag and other parts houses will re number.  also condenser from blue streak should match.
I get them pretty cheap at auto zone.
plugs I use ngk b 6 hs
harley parts book wont help much as harley no longer supports our old iron.
aftermarket is your friend.
I generally find what I need. either order it on line or take those numbers to indy shop to order.
do the numbers and foot work your self if you want  it right.

at our local shop a couple guys were talking iron heads near counter.
the counter guy, younger than the last ironhead made, asked what we were talking bout.
YOU want to buy parts form him?

Ironyman

Yes, it is a Harley Dealership. Last week I told guy I needed points, condenser and plugs. He looked it up and said that points come in a kit. He said, "Looks like there are three parts in the kit. Points, Condenser and some kind of Clamp." I looked at the picture and told him I believe the clamp is for the condenser. He said, "O yea". Then he asked me if I wanted the 'Standard Kit' so I asked him what are the options? He said Standard or Blue Streak. I'm thinking Duh, No Brainer, "Give me the Blue Streak". Guess I'll have to quit messing with the Dealership. But they were just so easy to stop by and get into with my Big Truck on my route.

garyajaz

our local dealer will do same stuff.
they look up stuff in aftermarket books just like an indy.
well, the price wont be like indy.

or skip both and get the vented higher spring blue streaks for the chev.
car store price not Harley shop price

nibroc

Irony--go back and get that gen gasket should be part # 30143-58 a rarity then ask for H-D 3-4 plugs also hard to find--I run NGK BL 6 in my sporties but they're mags--that inline 6 cyl chevy points and cond will work for you

Ironyman

Quote from: nibroc on October 11, 2014, 04:21:56 AM
Irony--go back and get that gen gasket should be part # 30143-58 a rarity then ask for H-D 3-4 plugs also hard to find--I run NGK BL 6 in my sporties but they're mags--that inline 6 cyl chevy points and cond will work for you

Well they found it in the book. Never got to the point of seeing if they had one in stock or if they could get one. Do Auto Zone and NAPA stores have a listing for these old engines? Kind of figured they might. But after driving all week. To go to a parts store means driving 10 miles into town. I try to put together a list of things I need to pick up and go into town only when I have to. This Dealership is right on my route with good truck parking. Plus I wanted to get the cover gasket any way. Probably can't get that at an Auto Store.
I do need to rebuild or replace my Generator. I might ask when I return these parts about what parts they can come up with for it. I've all ready been told you can't just buy a Kit for it. Only Brushes.
What's an "indy"?

garyajaz

an indy is an independent shop.  not hd dealership.
gen, I have rebuilt many.
lately I just get a new cycle electric gen. simpler, they work and everything is new.

garyajaz

that points kit number you have is a dennis curt.  aftermarket supplier
I just checked my ol box.
the part number you ask for at car shop is

points DR2240X  (good memory)
cond   DR90X
order the cycle electric generator ON LINE
to rebuild if just need brushes not a problem.
but the last 10 years or so the aftermarket armatures are junk and you will be in there often.

*note* toss the Clymer, get a harley manual.

Ironyman

Quote from: garyajaz on October 11, 2014, 06:55:30 AM
that points kit number you have is a dennis curt.  aftermarket supplier
I just checked my ol box.
the part number you ask for at car shop is

points DR2240X  (good memory)
cond   DR90X
order the cycle electric generator ON LINE
to rebuild if just need brushes not a problem.
but the last 10 years or so the aftermarket armatures are junk and you will be in there often.

*note* toss the Clymer, get a harley manual.

I had already tried that number with Dennis Curt. I got no matches. Did you use the whole number or just a part of it?
I have looked into the Cycle Electric and have them on my Ebay watch list. Thought maybe I would first try to get my old one back going first.
I think I'll hang onto my Clymer. But I did oder The Harley Manual #99484-78 and the Parts Manual #99451-78B about a week ago. Still waiting for them to be delivered.

garyajaz

the dr #'s are blue streak. 
after market will take the same parts, blister pack them and give own number.
like I said. I been buying them every year from auto zone.
I change them  yearly.  ok, last 3 years I haven't cause  I rarely ride it anymore.
have too many bikes I don't have to kick.