May 06, 2024, 02:49:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harley GPS - Know what model it is?

Started by Bakon, March 16, 2009, 11:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakon

I looked at the Harley Zumo and Garmin Zumo 550 models for comparison. Are they the same unit in a different case?

Seem to have all the same functions and display size, but the outside is different. Cant find anything on line to verify or disprove.

Thanks in advance.
wasting time

IndyHarley

Garmin makes the HD GPS and it is a 550
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Coyote

Yes, same unit, different color. The HD unit comes with the dealerships pre loaded but you can load them as POI's with the 550. Only difference besides that is you pay more for the HD unit and don't get the car mount. The choice seems clear. JMO  :wink:

IBARider

Let me guess,  The HD version costs a lot more?
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

RoadGlide0611

2009 Road Glide, 107 with S&S 551 cams, Dresser Duals, Rev Performance EMS

Bakon

wasting time

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Coyote

If you can wait a few months, the Zumo 650 will be out and even lower cost I believe. My 550 recently developed touch screen issues. Finally gave up and sent it back to Garmin at a tune of $200 to refurb it.  :emsad:

Panzer

I hope Specialx1 reads this........oh wait, he'll prolly by the HD anyway.                       
                                    Never mind !!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Coyote on March 16, 2009, 02:08:59 PM
If you can wait a few months, the Zumo 650 will be out and even lower cost I believe. My 550 recently developed touch screen issues. Finally gave up and sent it back to Garmin at a tune of $200 to refurb it.  :emsad:

It's a 660 ain't it?  The 450's are now not being made anymore so those can be had cheap. Same as 550 but without blue tooth and car cradle
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Coyote

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on March 16, 2009, 02:47:20 PM
Quote from: Coyote on March 16, 2009, 02:08:59 PM

It's a 660 ain't it?  The 450's are now not being made anymore so those can be had cheap. Same as 550 but without blue tooth and car cradle

Yes, 660

Jim Bronson

Is there any reason the 550 (or 660) can't be easily used in a car? I would want to transfer the unit between the bike and the car.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Princess Butt

I've had the 550 for almost 2 years, and I love it. It came with a motorcycle mount, and a seperate car mount which uses a suction cup on the windshield. Just pop it out of the bike mount and into the car mount, works beautiful.

Word of warning: when washing the bike, put a plastic baggie over the bike mount. They don't like getting soaked  :embarrassed:

www.zumoforums.com is a great info source on these units. Get the thumbscrew from the guy in the Netherlands, it's stupid cheap and the best thing I've done with mine.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: BnEUltraClassic on March 16, 2009, 03:38:40 PM

Word of warning: when washing the bike, put a plastic baggie over the bike mount. They don't like getting soaked  :embarrassed:

BnEUC

That's good to know. I thought the Zumo was waterproof. Do you have to baggie it in the rain?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Jim Bronson on March 16, 2009, 04:19:41 PM

That's good to know. I thought the Zumo was waterproof. Do you have to baggie it in the rain?

It is waterproof and you don't have to baggie it, he is talking about the empty cradle when left on the bike and washing it.

Quote from: Jim Bronson

Is there any reason the 550 (or 660) can't be easily used in a car? I would want to transfer the unit between the bike and the car.

The 550 comes with the car cradle.  The 450 you can buy the cradle.  I don't know about the 660 but I would imagine that it will come with a car mount.  Most folks do switch between bike and cage with the 550
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

marc

Let me guess,  The HD version costs a lot more?

Hell yes...HD=hundred $$...LOL...

Tsani

Odd. My cradle mount has a cap that seals it when the 550 isn't in it.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Tsani on March 16, 2009, 06:15:08 PM
Odd. My cradle mount has a cap that seals it when the 550 isn't in it.

Mine too. I don't bag mine when washing.  Some dielectric on the pins is wise
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

highlander

I have the older Garmin Quest. The mounting system that have for the unltra kinda sucks. I've had two units jump off the bike when I hit a bump. The only response from the dealer or HD is "shoulda made sure it was clicked in all the way". Kiss my ass! I don't know what kind of mounting system this new one has on it, but make sure you figure some way to keep it securely attached to the bike, or you will be buying a new one, cause nobody cares.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

loc

I use the Nuvi 350 but it is not waterproof....I think the do make a waterproof Nuvi but dont know the model number. Nuvi is very slim and compact.
08 Ultra---103/255---SE AC---2:1 SuperTrapp---Super Tuner---LMR-002---82:102

Princess Butt

My little weather cap was left on the side of the road somewhere in Virginia.

If the GPS is mounted in the cradle, there's a seal between the GPS and the mounting base which will keep it water tight.

If you don't have the GPS installed, definitely cover the mount with a baggie. Cheap insurance.

BnEUC

takwolf

Just used my c550, (older unit) and need to come up with a sunshade or something so I can see it. Any ideas? TIA.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

chris haynes

I found a place, http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/nuvis.html , that sells garmin Nuvi's cheap. They even sell factory rebuilts at a fair price.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

chengdave2003

I just fabbed up a mount for my Nuvi 350 (also obsolete now according to the Garmin website).  I posted this on another forum, but it's pertinent to this thread also.

I had replaced the stock black plastic gas cap last year with a chrome one. The GPS mount I bought from Ebay a couple years ago for about $10 including shipping. To make the mount I took the plastic gas cap apart. It can be taken apart by inserting a screwdriver in the slots underneath the cap and prying apart the cap at the joint. Each slot opens it up a bit more. The cap is domed and I needed it flat. I put the cap on a woodworkers vice and put a piece of solid six inch round stock on top. It weighs about 30 pounds. From underneath I used a heat gun to soften the plastic until it was flat. I had to take the GPS mount apart to get the mount screwed onto the cap. I used four 6-32 machine screws to mount fasten the cap and mount together with a piece of 1/16" rubber gasket material to help dampen vibrations. I put it all back together and it works great. I have to admit that I'm not comfortable leaving it the GPS in the mount as is, I'm going to use some rubber bands to help hold it in.... Of course when I'm not using the GPS I'll put back the chromed gas cap.  All told took maybe an hour.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Upgrades/GPSMount1.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Upgrades/GPSMount2.jpg

Now I have to wire up an accessory outlet to plug it in. For that I'm going to splice a battery tender quick-disconnect to the outlet so I only have the one harness on the battery, plus the outlet is fused.

Dave
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Davidson/

Princess Butt

Dave, that's a great setup! Who would have ever thought of using the cap?

BnEUC

Coyote

Quote from: BnEUltraClassic on March 17, 2009, 09:06:24 AM

BnEUC

I tried this on my RG but decided it was far to dangerous. When the GPS is mounted up on the bars, you can glance at it and still have the road ahead in view. With it on the tank, you must move your head down and while looking at the GPS, you don't see the road at all. Just felt like a bad idea to me so I moved it back up to the bars. JMO

IndyHarley

Quote from: Jim Bronson on March 16, 2009, 03:19:08 PM

if you buy the 550 or 660 they have a car mount also as standard equipment. so yes they can be transferred from bike and car rather easily.
Member since 1865

IndyHarley

Quote from: Coyote on March 17, 2009, 10:06:09 AM

BnEUC

I tried this on my RG but decided it was far to dangerous. When the GPS is mounted up on the bars, you can glance at it and still have the road ahead in view. With it on the tank, you must move your head down and while looking at the GPS, you don't see the road at all. Just felt like a bad idea to me so I moved it back up to the bars. JMO

I agree - it should be mounted so you also have your eyes straight ahead on the road for obvious safety and life saving reasons. Now if your GPS has voice prompts and you set it and go and do what the voice prompts state without ever taking your eyes off the road then I guess safety is not a factor but my guess is that you will look at it at some point while riding so again my preference is to mount it where my eyes will still be on the road.
Member since 1865

RoadGlide0611

That's what I'm thinking of going with a Nuvi.  There so much cheaper than the zumo and thinner and less weight.
2009 Road Glide, 107 with S&S 551 cams, Dresser Duals, Rev Performance EMS

Coyote

If you go with a Nuvi, just be aware that you can't create your route and upload it (At least I know most don't). That was one of the nicest things about the zumo. It's very seldom I want the shortest (hiway) route from point a to point b. With the zumo, I can create any route I want and load it into the zumo. The zumo will then navigate that exact route.  :up:

chengdave2003

Thank you...works for me...and it was free....(already had everything)...just took a bit of time to figure it out....

BnEUC
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Davidson/