May 08, 2024, 01:21:09 PM

News:

Time For New Engine

Started by WhipLash96, October 19, 2014, 12:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

October 19, 2014, 12:09:45 PM Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:29:35 PM by WhipLash96
I have finished my exploratory tear down of my Sportster and what I found was ugly.  The noise that I thought was a bad lifter turned out to be a pin clip that came out. This happened on the front cylinder and gouged the cylinder wall way beyond repair and also cracked the spigot.  I got lucky that something didn't grenade while riding. I am totally replacing the engine as s I am convinced that the clip is still in the case.

I am considering going to a very potent 88 C.I. non racing application engine for my next engine. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what stroke and bore that is commonly used?

For this project I already have the shop picked that will be doing the work. For this engine I will be using my current heads but get some massaging done and bigger valves.

For those of you that already have an 88 C.I. Sportster,  what pistons are you using and why? I will most likely be using a dome piston if the stroke and other factors permit.  All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Thanks,
Whip

1FSTRK

If you have already picked the shop, why not use what they say to use?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

PC_Hater

Axtell 88ci Mountain Motor.
It is a square motor, standard Sportster stroke with the bore the same as the stroke. case-boring is required.
The old sportster.org had full details of a quad-cam 88 by Tom Metty.
A web-archive might find it, if not, I downloaded all of it and  could email it.

If your wallet is deep enough, S&S 100 inch motor.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

sporty88

I agree with PC-Hater,88" Axtell square motor makes a great pkg.
I had Zippers build an 88" axtell motor using my 92 cases and  it made 112.9 H.P /99 torque.
That was in 1997, and it still sits in my garage along with my 2010 Geezer glide.
It will surprise a lot of high HP big twins .LOL :koolaid3:

WhipLash96

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 19, 2014, 02:05:13 PM
If you have already picked the shop, why not use what they say to use?
Because I like to educate myself before I hand over thousands of dollars.  :)
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: PC_Hater on October 19, 2014, 02:18:49 PM
It is a square motor, standard Sportster stroke with the bore the same as the stroke. case-boring is required.
A web-archive might find it, if not, I downloaded all of it and  could email it.

I have heard of Axtell but didn't strokerjlk just build an 88 using Axtell and already had the engine fail? I am not sure what the particulars were but that scares me a little.  Just saying.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: sporty88 on October 19, 2014, 03:41:57 PM
I agree with PC-Hater,88" Axtell square motor makes a great pkg.
I had Zippers build an 88" axtell motor using my 92 cases and  it made 112.9 H.P /99 torque.
That was in 1997, and it still sits in my garage along with my 2010 Geezer glide.
It will surprise a lot of high HP big twins .LOL :koolaid3:
So is Axtell really the only other option other than S&S 100" engine?
Thanks,
Whip

strokerjlk

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 19, 2014, 04:51:39 PM

I have heard of Axtell but didn't strokerjlk just build an 88 using Axtell and already had the engine fail? I am not sure what the particulars were but that scares me a little.  Just saying.
My motor didn't really fail . All the is wrong with it is a bent exhaust valve , and a broken rocker arm .
It had nothing to do with the Axtell kit . The cam gear sheared the key . The nut backed off the pinion shaft and let the gear walk in and out . When the nut backed off far enough, there was only a small part of the key still holding it   Then it sheared .
It was my fault , not the Axtell kit . Also remember I was launching this bike at 5500 rpms and shifting at 6700 on that pass .
Go on Axtell's website and look and look at the kit .
Then google "  Axtell sportster case boring instructions " you should come up with the instruction on the case boring .
All the other info is correct . It's a square : 3 13/16 motor .

I used the 30 deg dome race pistons . You might not want that much compression .
Best thing to do is call Axtell . They can set the piston to what you need .

NRHS and hammer performance , both sell 88 and 90 ci kits as well .
They both use Axtell cylinders for their kits .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

WhipLash96

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 19, 2014, 05:38:08 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 19, 2014, 04:51:39 PM

My motor didn't really fail . All the is wrong with it is a bent exhaust valve , and a broken rocker arm .
It had nothing to do with the Axtell kit . The cam gear sheared the key . The nut backed off the pinion shaft and let the gear walk in and out . When the nut backed off far enough, there was only a small part of the key still holding it   Then it sheared .
It was my fault , not the Axtell kit . Also remember I was launching this bike at 5500 rpms and shifting at 6700 on that pass .
Go on Axtell's website and look and look at the kit .
Then google "  Axtell sportster case boring instructions " you should come up with the instruction on the case boring .
All the other info is correct . It's a square : 3 13/16 motor .

I used the 30 deg dome race pistons . You might not want that much compression .
Best thing to do is call Axtell . They can set the piston to what you need .

NRHS and hammer performance , both sell 88 and 90 ci kits as well .
They both use Axtell cylinders for their kits .
Yes there is no way I want or need that kind of compression.  I am thinking about 195-200 ccp. I am looking for about 9.8 corrected which I assume will require a lot of material coming out of the combustion chamber of my current heads. What cams are you using? I read that you were using the SE .575 at some point.  Are you still?
Thanks,
Whip

strokerjlk

WhipLash96

Those are pretty much a race application cam?
Thanks,
Whip

strokerjlk

Not really  . Just a good all around cam . Very street able
Used by a lot of racers in the 1200-1250 motors though .

WhipLash96

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 21, 2014, 05:35:05 PM
Cool. I just received my estimate from Hammer Performance.  :D I like the 600 crush cams.8):P
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

What is the benefits of upgrading the anti rotation pins?
Thanks,
Whip

1FSTRK

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 21, 2014, 05:40:41 PM
Cool. I just received my estimate from Hammer Performance.  :D I like the 600 crush cams.8):P

WOW those are some cam specs, the TDC lift numbers look like the duration numbers for most cams.

What happened to this plan?
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 19, 2014, 12:09:45 PM

I am considering going to a very potent 88 C.I. non racing application engine for my next engine. 

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

WhipLash96

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 22, 2014, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 21, 2014, 05:40:41 PM

WOW those are some cam specs, the TDC lift numbers look like the duration numbers for most cams.

What happened to this plan?
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 19, 2014, 12:09:45 PM

I am considering going to a very potent 88 C.I. non racing application engine for my next engine. 

Yeah I know that is a little bit of an abrupt turn but looking at other cams I just didn't feel that they would create the cylinder pressure needed or desired.  This is not a race bike, just a real healthy joy ride bike. Yes, those cams are wicked.  I can't take the credit for choosing these. I left that up to Aaron.  So far my experience with Aaron and Hammer Dan has been outstanding.  I don't expect that to change.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Hey Hammer Performance,  with those .600 lift cams and my heads, will we be able to afford higher ratio rockers?
Thanks,
Whip

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

WhipLash96

Ok, I spoke to Hammer Dan today and asked him if I will be able to go with higher ratio rockers or not. He strongly recommended not to. There is a lot of work that my SE heads need in order to get the heads set up for the .600 lift cams that are going in.

I am considering on putting an all together different set of heads on. I have a little bit to consider I guess.
Thanks,
Whip

sporty88

WhipLash96

I did speak with Hammer Dan and he was very helpful in explaining my options. From talking with him, I have decided that I will not go with high ratio rockers.
Thanks,
Whip

NikonDoofus

Would love to hear any progress on your project  :pop:
Gary
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

WhipLash96

Right now the engine is out of the frame. Soon will be splitting the cases to take a look at the inside.  After the first of the year I will have more motivation to get this all done. I am picking up miscellaneous items now like clutch cable new oil lines, stuff like that.  Soon will be purchasing ignition, carb and rocker arms.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Here is an update. I have sent the heads off to Hammer Performance so those can be reworked. I have the cases sitting on the lift semi split waiting for further inspection. That will be done tonight then it is time to make a crate so it can be shipped to Hammer as well. Slow but sure.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

Rome was't built in a day either.
Better to get all the ducks in a row and know the priorities.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Panzer on March 23, 2015, 02:57:37 PM
Rome was't built in a day either.
Better to get all the ducks in a row and know the priorities.
Man you aren't kidding either.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I found the problem. I have a piston circlip that was floating inside the case. If you want to see pictures, pm me you phone number and I will text you the pictures as I can't post them via TapaTalk. I found what I thought I would.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

About to crate up the engine and get that sent to Hammer Performance for case boring and other machine work.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I have the engine created and ready to ship to Hammer Performance.
Thanks,
Whip

cyclobutch

B
'88 XLH1200

WhipLash96

Quote from: cyclobutch on September 09, 2015, 04:49:41 AM
Is it still there?
I haven't even sent it out. This past season has been one from HELL!

Sorry this is so late.
Thanks,
Whip