April 19, 2024, 08:41:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Generator Problems

Started by Ironyman, October 20, 2014, 06:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironyman

I've got a '76 XLCH. Generator is not working. I had planned on replacing the brushes. One brush measure .5 inches at its highest point. The other is about a 1/32 more. Been looking online and can't find any. Anyone have a line on where to get them?

Might have to go with a cycle electric generator. Or if I buy new should I upgrade to an alternator like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181558517059?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know there are some cheaper ones out there. But I don't want to buy junk. This one sounds good. Or is that just salesmen hype?

One of its testimonial:
"I've got about 300 miles on this new alternator. Works great. What surprised me is how much better my bike runs. I'm running points, so I assume that a hotter spark is the reason. I've always had a little miss or sputter if I twisted the throttle from 55, as when passing someone, that I couldn't seem to tune out of her. But IT IS GONE NOW! BONUS!"

Is it possible this alternator could make my bike run better.
Or is that to much extra amps for a Kick start only bike?

Time you buy a cycle electric generator and a cycle electric voltage regulator the cost is about the same.

garyajaz

should be able to find brushes.

I have cycle electric gen with aftermarket reg.  been best one I have had.

Panzer

Suggest you try an electric motor repair/rebuild shop.
Present them with the brushes and they should be able to match it.
Hope it helps ya.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

garyajaz

October 20, 2014, 07:54:00 PM #3 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:49:17 PM by garyajaz
e-bay listing (free shipping)
jp  parts has them.
hell they every where

p.s.
before spend a lot check the armature.
they were not long ago 18-20 bucks
then a few years ago I paid 36-38

last 3-4 I bought were pretty bad and windings lost insulation quick.
is why I ended  up with a c.e. USA unit.

Ironyman

I checked JP. It said they don't have a listing for them.
I had to return some wrong parts to the HD Dealer. So I asked them if they could get them. They said they could so I have them on order for $9. Also ordered the site plug for timing. See if they come though.
No body changed out to an alternator?