April 30, 2024, 12:17:43 PM

News:

103 CI Clutch Pushrod Stuck

Started by saltydawg1967, October 25, 2014, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydawg1967

Hello everyone!  I'm from Texas and a frequent reader on this board.  Got tons of tips and advice on here and right now I have a big need for help.  A buddy of mine has a 2009 Streetglide that has a clutch that locked up on him.  Checked the cable first and it was fine.  Had the side clutch release cover off and the throw out bearing was blown and the oil slinger is stuck.  only found 7 of the roller bearings anywhere so there are at least two that are missing.  The metal is all scorched.  Took the primary off after that to check it and the clutch is stuck fully disengaged.  Spring is totally collapsed flat as the clutch is open as far as it can go.  Took the spring off and tried to take the clutch adjuster screw and jam nut off, but the screw WILL NOT MOVE.  Just like the oil slinger, the clutch adjustment screw seems to be "welded" to the the pushrod between the two.  I cannot get the clutch off to even get to the main shaft.

Any tips or trick you can think of that will help get the adjustment screw off the clutch?  I've used a small impact and even a short breaker bar to assist.  I did not push it too hard in fear it would strip out the hex opening in the screw.  It IS STUCK.  I'm so used to that screw turning by hand... this one is froze.

Thoughts?
Saltydawg1967

No Cents

October 26, 2014, 03:40:35 AM #1 Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:19:08 AM by No Cents
 I've been down this road before.  :doh:  It definitely sucked.
The adjuster end and more than likely the oil slinger has welded itself to the clutch rod.
Your going to have to break them apart.
What I did was on the clutch trap door side I took and broke the oil slinger off and took a big set of vice grips and locked them down on the oil slinger shaft and rolled it around so it was up against the rear foot peg.
Then on the primary side I used a pipe wrench on the clutch adjuster and a three foot piece of pipe over the pipe wrench for a breaker bar. It took some force...but finally snapped the welded slinger end off the clutch rod so it could be slid out.
You'll need to probably pull the tranny cover to flush it out good.
Good luck.

Ray

[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

saltydawg1967

Thanks for the tip.  That give me a good idea of what I'm up against.
Saltydawg1967

Admiral Akbar

QuoteYou'll need to drop the tranny pan to find the other rollers. It might not hurt to flush it too.

:scratch:

The tranny doesn't have an oil pan.. The motor does on the bottom of the tranny..You won't find the bearings in the motor oil..  Only thing is that there is an trans mission oil drain passage that runs through the motor oil pan.. Seems to me that any left over rollers are in the passage on the drain plug or still in the bottom of the transmission.. Might be able to flush or dig out with a magnet..

Max

No Cents

your right Max  :doh:  I don't know what I was thinking there when I said to drop the pan.
I meant to say pull the cover and flush it out.
I'll go back an edit it.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae