April 19, 2024, 05:48:26 AM

News:

Starter issues

Started by rider7816, October 26, 2014, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

I recently picked up a barn find 1977 xlh. Before I bought it from the previous owner I had them hook a battery up and try to get it running. She eventually started and ran for a few seconds. It was started with the starter motor as this bike has no kick starter.

When I got it home and started to look at it I noticed some hack bypassed the start switch on the handle bar and installed a "temporary" switch to the handle bars and they also did away with the ignition switch near the horn and installed a 110 volt toggle switch.
I have. Small case of OCD and couldn't leave it like that. I purchased a brand new ignition switch and wired it in per the factory manual.
Now all I get is a very loud click from the starter relay.  I removed the primary cover to check out what the Bendix was doing. The Bendix is shooting out like it is supposed to and making contact with the clutch ring gear. But that's where it stops. It's almost like the battery is dead or the starter motor took a crap from the time I bought it till the time I rebooked up everything per factory specs.
I'm no electrician or master tech but I'm decent with my hands. This one has me stumped. I used a screw driver to jump the starter relay and it operates as designed forcing the starter solenoid to retract and this shooting the Bendix out. I then by passed the solenoid and ran a hot right to the starter and it turns freely. Not sure of the rpm of the drive though.

Any help or advice on this would be great. Maybe someone knows what type of power readings I should be getting??

Btw, the battery is a brand new out of the box gel cell battery and it is showing to have 12.3 volts from my trusty dvom.

Thanks

Frank

fbn ent

Try charging the battery. It should be in the 13s if I remember my schoolin'.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Racepres

Quote from: fbn ent on October 26, 2014, 06:30:39 PM
Try charging the battery. It should be in the 13s if I remember my schoolin'.

Maybe 13 at First check, 12.6 is 100%, 12.3 is 50% and 12v is Dead. Drops to no less than 10 when the starter is engaged...
If it won't engage , check the wiring to the solenoid. Hot from batt. to top post of solenoid, then from bottom post of solenoid to starter motor. {double check that last...my memory ain't what it used to be.
Thinking here that they probably jumped the thing the first start,probably used the frame for the Ground cable,tells me you need to  remove the Neg cable[both ends] and Clean, to bare metal!!

kik

77 XLH's were famous for this. You're going to have to go over every inch of wiring on that bike. It's a Ground problem. Clean every connection especially the grounds back to bare metal. When I had my 77' The bad ground was underneath the battery tray. The tray is bolted in the rubber grommets for vibration, there was a ground from the battery to underneath the tray and the bolt the ground wire went to was busted inside the rubber grommet, so it took me awhile to trace that one down.
Also, I assume you already opened the starter button housing on the handle bars?? I ended up having to replace the starter button in there also.
Make sure you pull the solenoid and look at the contacts inside, Mine was black and pitted, I just replaced it with a new one, you already said the jack shaft was engaging so no need to go further on that, you may want to think about either having the starter rebuilt or buy a new one also.
Pull your spark plugs out and with a fully charged battery, hit the starter button, I'd bet if it's actually a bad ground, that engine will fly over real nice, Put the plug back in and it only grunts...It's a bad ground. This it just from personal experience of my own 77' nightmare.

rider7816

:oops: Ok, in case anyone was wondering, Im an idiot.  Plain and simple, it was my fault the bike didnt turn over.  The one fat black wire that goes to the solenoid on the starter was on the wrong battery terminal.  I just sat and read the manual with wiring diagram for a while and it hit me in the face..

Switched the cable and it fired right up.

:emoGroan:

Wicked

Great ya found it!!   :bike: 

Paul

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

garyajaz

good ya got it.
I in kick start ironhead mode.
cant even imagine pushing button