What Is Typical Cost For 10K Service On Ultra?

Started by 176, March 16, 2009, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost at 10K on my 08 Ultra.  Was at the dealers yesterday and got a price of
$330.00, and synthetic oil is another $30.00 extra!!!!!  Are they crazy or is that
the going price for this service?  Thanks in advance.
176 :cry:
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

CndUltra88

You could call another dealer for a quote.
I think here in Vancover Canada, the last time I was in a Major dealership it was over $600.00...
Just my .02 worth.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

willymax4

save your money and buy a service manual.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

NETacomaFatboy

$330 sounds very right to me.   Problem is, you do not know what sort of a job they do.  Yes, I would say do it yourself.  Find someone to show you how to change all 3 fluids and adjust chain.

Use the money you save and buy a lift....  It comes in handy for changing fluids.

Rags722

OK, you forced me to break out my 05 service manual for this one.  Without listing every item on the 10K service ( again, this is for an 05, not an 08)there are 29 items, with one of them being a road test.  You did that on the way to the dealer so there are 28 left. Of them one is inspect spokes, that you don't have so you are down to 27. of the 27, 5 are not done at the 10K check, leaving you with 22 items.  One of those is check primary chain adjust ( needed on an 05 but not on an 08 so you are down to 21.  Of those..19 are inspect or lubricate.  So of the 4 left, 1 is change the engine oil, 1 is change the tranny oil, one is replace spark plugs, and one is replace the primary fluid.  I know damned well I can look at my tires, brakes, idle speed as well as lube my cables, adjust my clutch, and oil the saddlebag springs. Since I do all my own oil changes I don't sweat the other 4 either.  If it was me, I'd invest in the service manual, buy some oil and a few gaskets and O-rings, and put the other $300 in the bank.
Bottom line, for the most part, you can do most of the 10K service with an eyeball and oil can.  If there is really something on the list you don't think you can handle, just ask the service writer to show you what they do an the 10 K service, and ask him the price to do the things you can't. ( and still pocket at least $200.00)
Rags

Richard Till

Clintster

March 17, 2009, 03:00:45 AM #6 Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:08:56 AM by Clintster
I was initially afraid to touch my HD, most money I ever spent on a bike.  Had always serviced my other bikes, waited a couple of years to start on this one.  Threes dealerships and thousands of dollars later, finally decided to do it. With some of the experiences I had , it was hell, I can do some of the half assed stuffed that happened to me.  Well I found one maybe two guys I could trust, just in case.  Except for dyno tuning and tires on rim, I do it myself.  With the help of the membership here, it is no problem, it's been four seasons now.  I probably enjoy the wrenching as much as the riding.  Go for it, that is unless you have a tech you really trust and just don't want to be bothered.  But buy the service manual, parts manual and electrical manual.  Start with the SM, the money you save get the parts book.  Parts book gives great exploded views and the parts counter guys love you when you come ready with the numbers.  With the numbers you can order online from a discount house.  The money you save will buy lots of accessories...Too answer your question too much !!
Drive fast, take chances

IBARider

I paid $2500 for my 10K service and I ain't kiddin'!  Well, they threw in a rear tire too!

I've never had anyone do my service but guess I'm gettin lazy.  When my new one had a worn rear tire and needed a 10K service, i bought one of those pre paid maintenance deals for 3 years, unlimited mileage. But now everything, but my time, is free and since then I've gotten three more tires, a 15K, a 20K, and a 25K service.  Getting ready for a 30K and I still have over two years left!  I had to find a good dealership/techs to purchase from and pass three of em on my way to this one.....

As far as my time goes, either a sales guy lets me borrow his personal bike, or the dealership lets me test drive any of their used bikes while I'm waiting for service. 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

June2017

Don't give them your hard earned money.  It is eay to do, and you will have fun doing it. 

82fxrstroker

QuoteI paid $2500 for my 10K service and I ain't kiddin'!  Well, they threw in a rear tire too!

You've got to be kidding! :smileo:

Coff 06

Small dealer in my area -5k service 330$-10k 650$,IIRC.It was at the 10k service I bought a book and started doing my own.All parts to do the 10k service at the dealer cost me 100$ and only took less than 2hrs.Every time it gets a little quicker.With 30k on the bike now,I can almost change the oil while I get dressed.JMO  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Memnar

The dealer I bought my bike from in Utah charged me $160 for the 10K. He only charged actual time and parts.

-Erik
Albuquerque, NM.

Rags722

Something else to consider beside what I posted in REPLY #4.

My buddy does all his car repairs, but "trusted" his bike to 2 of our 4 local dealers.  After one service, he noticed someone had "gooped up the drain plug with clear silicone".  So, he took the bike back so they could put an o-ring on and do the job properly.  No big deal, right?  If it had been me, there would have been a lot of yelling and screaming at the dealership, but my friend is an easy going guy.  So, about that time, he started doing his own work figuring he can 't screw up things much worse than the 2 shops he had been using.  Then one day, he lost oil pressure, shut the bike down and found the oil pump shaft (EVO) so bound up he couldn't get it out of the bike ( much like one episode of OCC) so off to the dealer he went so they could get things apart.  Now, about 2 years and a number of oil changes later, he was doing his seasonal oil change and when he pulled the oil pan plug, out comes 1/2 of a helicoil.  The front half is still in the pan and intact.  So, we get to wondering, when did a helicoil get in there, and was the pump failure a couple of years ago due to a helicoil tang that finally reached the pump?  Humm, does that maybe explain the silicone goop on the drain pan?

Bottom line, you can let the shop do the easy stuff that you could do, but don't have faith they will put the most experienced guy on the job.  That said, at least if I strip / break / bend / or cob something up I'll probably know I did it, not wonder when it happened.  I tend to be careful with my stuff, and start to run bolts in by hand so I can feel what's happening... not on the clock where the more stuff I can pump out in under book time gets me more money.

Oh, when I take off my side bags, I set them on a hunk of carpet to protect them.... ever see a hunk of carpet on the floor of the tire changing area?  I just loved it the first time I saw them slide my bags across a concrete floor to keep them out of harms way.

Rags

Thanks Rags722 and everyone else for the information.
I have been doing all of the oil changes myself.  Just wondered
why they charge so much for the 10K service.  Now I will
definately buy the SM, and do it myself.  I too haven't had
very good results with any of the dealerships in my area and their
service departments.  I cringe when the sign says $85.00hr.
labor rate.  A good friend of mine that has been riding 20+yrs. just
told me that would be the most expensive oil change I could
ever spend my money on, guess he was right.  Think I will upgrade
my speakers with the Hogtunes with the money I will save.
Thanks again everyone.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

RainDodger

Rags - get a bunch of those little stick-on rubber bumper things and stick 4 of them on the bottom of each saddlebag... then you can set your bags anywhere you like when you take them off your bike.

Panzer

Quote from: IBARider on March 17, 2009, 08:02:12 AM
I paid $2500 for my 10K service and I ain't kiddin'!  Well, they threw in a rear tire too!

Not ragging on ya, but they should have thrown in a lot more then a tire, like a world cruise for that price.    OUCH!
Call me and I'll do it for that price and throw in two tires, a bottle of after shave and a beer. :hyst:
I agree 100%............buy a service manual.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

IBARider

Quote from: Panzer on March 17, 2009, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: IBARider on March 17, 2009, 08:02:12 AM

Not ragging on ya, but they should have thrown in a lot more then a tire, like a world cruise for that price.    OUCH!
Call me and I'll do it for that price and throw in two tires, a bottle of after shave and a beer. :hyst:
I agree 100%............buy a service manual.

The rest of my story said I later on got three more tires and a 15, 20, 25K service for FREE!  And I'll get a lot more in the next two years... FREE!  Will you match it??

Panzer

I'm thinking..............
I'll pass on that............I just hit the lottery in Nigeria, so I don't need the money now.
Thanks anyway.
You might want to hit up Specialx1, he's always looking for a great deal.
You might want to dumb down the offer for him, like sugar coat it.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

IBARider

Quote from: Panzer on March 17, 2009, 02:47:04 PM
I'm thinking..............
I'll pass on that............I just hit the lottery in Nigeria, so I don't need the money now.
Thanks anyway.
You might want to hit up Specialx1, he's always looking for a great deal.
You might want to dumb down the offer for him, like sugar coat it.

You sure you don't want to pass up this sale.  You'll also get to lend me any bike you have while you're working on mine.  You can't pass that up can ya?

specialx1

a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down :)
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

deathwish

I would rather fix everything myself and buy whatever tool is needed because I always have it and it is cheaper than having a dealer do it. No everyone has the knowledge or more important the ambition, but one needs to start somewhere which is another reason for me to never buy a new HD. I can fix every piece of what I own without having to get into where many of the new models are headed electricly and I can rebuild mine forever. Don't need a radio or a GPS or heated seat or fuel injection or or etc.

kybagger

After $275.00 for the 1000 mi service,I can just image what a 10,000 would be.... Do it yourself.

Panzer

March 17, 2009, 06:09:12 PM #22 Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:39:57 AM by Panzer
I apologise IBArider, I didn't read all of what you wrote.
All that stuck out was that you paid $2,500. for a 10K service.
The brain turned to mush then.
You seem to have a sweet deal going.
Give me your addy and I send you that bottle of after shave anyway.
It's called "P-U De France"......it keeps the mosquitoes away in the summer too.
All the admin's here use it so its got to be good, including Specialx1, who is a shed occupant.
Again....sorry guy.

Burch

If I recall corrcet, the shop I bought my bike from threw in the first two "services" for free (sure i paid it somehow).

After that, I've been to the local Indy when I'm stumped!!...I bought the SM.

Burch
Burch

IBARider

Quote from: Panzer on March 17, 2009, 06:09:12 PM
I apologise IBArider, I didn't read all of what you wrote.
All that stuck out was that you paid $2,500. for a 10K service.
The brain turned to much then.
You seem to have a sweet deal going.
Give me your addy and I send you that bottle of after shave anyway.
It's called "P-U De France"......it keeps the mosquitoes away in the summer too.
All the admin's here use it so its got to be good, including Specialx1, who is a shed occupant.
Again....sorry guy.

No offense taken and absolutely no reason to apologize.  You need to be half goofy just to follow some of my crap.

I've done 100's of thousands of miles over the years and have always done my own maintenance.  Except for balancing/assembling flywheels, pressing into left case, machine work, and mounting tires.  I take my wheels off and carry into Cycle Gear.

2002 was the first time I ever bought a new bike and then again in '08.  Buying the prepaid maintenance on the '08 was a hard decision.  Considering my labor free, I figured parts alone would get my money back, but the the hassle and time of it being in a shop is a cost all its' own.  If I couldn't borrow a bike while they're working on it, there's no way I would have done it.  There's also three dealerships closer than the one I do this at, but no way would I let those jerks mess it up.  A guy needs to find a dependable shop, which is hard in itself.  Anyways, I expect to have 75,000 miles on the bike within the three year prepaid. Besides oil changes, tires, and brake pads, it includes all the items on the service list.  Fuel filter every 20 or 25K and the big one, they get to service the front forks at 50K.  These guys always perform the full service too.  A good dealership is hard to find.  That's one reason I never bought a new bike in over 30 years...

northbrun

bought my springer in 02 new, and let my dealer do the first 2 services, as it was on warentry and I didn't want to deal with any warentry "issues" I did 16000 miles the first year, and then the warentry was up.. Since then, I have done everything but replace the cams after the bearings went south (and before i found HTT) that cost me $1200, and, as i recall (I'm gettin old so if it ain't wrote down its subject to correction) i could have saved about 800 of that if i did the work myself. that was 4 years ago. This year i did my sporty upgrade with thunderstorm heads, 10:1 domed pistons, punched jugs, and a set of Andrews cams.. all i did not do myself was boring and honing. the further i get into It. the easier it is... and the more fun! I'm not lookin back!