April 19, 2024, 12:39:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1977 XLH wheel spacer issue

Started by rider7816, November 18, 2014, 12:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

November 18, 2014, 12:47:42 PM Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:00:03 PM by rider7816
Hey guys, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.  I recently picked up this project bike, which is a 1977 XLH.  It originally had the laced wheels but they were in such bad shape I decided to pick up a set of factory Harley 7 spoke mag rims.  I went to install the rear wheel today and I noticed that it has a roughly 1/2" wider hub.  My question is, does anyone know the correct wheel spacer size or factory part #?  Maybe someone knows where to get it.  I know that I can get one made, just looking for a little easier direction.

I thought that the spacers would be the same, guess I was wrong.

Thanks in advance

Frank  :emoGroan:

ps...  The part # of the rear wheel is 41037-77

Racepres

A picture would help alot...Is it a Morris Mag...or is it Lester?
They were different.

rider7816

Sorry, having a bit of difficulties posting pics but it is a Morris Mag part # 41037-77.

Thanks

Frank

FSG

From the PM's.

Both the Mag Wheels (7 & 9 Spoke) and the Spoke Wheels use the same 41185-63 SPACER that went between the wheel bearings.

There may have been some slight differences due to the bolt on bearing housings used on the 7 spoke mag.

Other than that the Axle Spacers for the Mag Wheel should be,

41068-77   SPACER, right bearing
41077-78   SPACER, left bearing

and the same Axle 41551-52 was used.

But it's before my time, the first and only Iron Head I had was an '82.

rider7816

Thanks soo much for the response.  I guess I should have been more clear.  The spacer in question is not the spacer inside the mag wheel itself.  I was refering to the spacer that goes on the outside, left side of rim.  This spacer goes in between the left swingarm and the wheel bearing and the axel goes through it. 

Basically, the drum on the kright mounts flush to the right swingarm and the left side calls for a spacer to take up the space.  From what I can see, the laced wheel hub is narrower than the morris mag wheel.

Frank

FSG

QuoteThe spacer in question is not the spacer inside the mag wheel itself.

I realize that, I'm just making the statement that both type of wheels used the same spacer.

Does your 7 spoke Mag use the bolt on bearing housings?

rider7816

November 19, 2014, 01:38:01 PM #6 Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:50:36 PM by rider7816
Yup, I bolted the bearings on the left and right side.

Frank

Racepres

Appears to be part# 41077-78
is what is used with cast wheels
HTH

rider7816

AWSOME! Thanks soo much for the replies! Now if any one has this spacer that would be great!

Frank

Racepres

Believe it or not..Some Dealers have a "real" parts guy/gal. I go there alot for a start on stuff I can't find.
The good ones can check other dealerships...try it.

FSG

rider7816

Thanks for the help everyone! With the part # I was able to locate the correct spacer I needed for this project at a dealer a couple hours north of me. I already received the part from FedEx and it fits perfect!

Thanks!