March 28, 2024, 01:45:47 PM

News:

Had to sell the 71 and truth from twins

Started by DA71FX, December 09, 2014, 05:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DA71FX

Well, not that I am here to complain....but I recently had to sell my 71. After almost 15 years she needed to go in order to take care of an emergency. I miss the bike....but I have a good parts pile, and maybe having her prevented me from completing my other projects.The story I wanted to relate is; While sitting with my 11 year old daughters yesterday, Maggie (twin2) said she wished I did not sell the bike. She misses it. She wanted to know what I would do this summer. Carrie(twin2) said it was ok because  there is a frame here, cases there, heads on the shelf and she started to point out the parts pile piece by piece. I have never been so proud of her.....then Maggie chimes back in and said "you are right we can build one this winter." They then proceeded to take "inventory"  Who would have thought these 11 year old girls could see the gold under the rust and grease. If nothing else their love of motorcycles and cars should annoy my ex for the next few years.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

76shuvlinoff

Yep, if I had to let my 76 go I am not sure if it would bug me or my daughter (now nearing 23) more.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

Sorry that you had to sell your scoot. I can kind of relate though I've done it piece meal to my 71 FX  (gone are the S&S 3-5/8" cases and heads) though I still have the matching numbers cases and original heads. Sounds like you have a couple of terrific daughters.  :up:   Bill

david lee

must have been a hard choice to sell i could have sold my 1980 lowrider many times as im the second owner since 1984 but it sort of grows on you it would be to hard to replace. i hope your daughters give you inspiration to start the new project

Brrrap

Quote from: DA71FX on December 09, 2014, 05:30:37 AM
Well, not that I am here to complain....but I recently had to sell my 71. After almost 15 years she needed to go in order to take care of an emergency. I miss the bike....but I have a good parts pile, and maybe having her prevented me from completing my other projects.The story I wanted to relate is; While sitting with my 11 year old daughters yesterday, Maggie (twin2) said she wished I did not sell the bike. She misses it. She wanted to know what I would do this summer. Carrie(twin2) said it was ok because  there is a frame here, cases there, heads on the shelf and she started to point out the parts pile piece by piece. I have never been so proud of her.....then Maggie chimes back in and said "you are right we can build one this winter." They then proceeded to take "inventory"  Who would have thought these 11 year old girls could see the gold under the rust and grease. If nothing else their love of motorcycles and cars should annoy my ex for the next few years.
God Bless them two!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

triumphbruce

bless the little ones my daughter was the same she is 35 now
it was the best when she would drive the ex crazy about bikes
and wanting to stay with dad to ride more

sparkey

I bet if you and your girls build a bike that one will stay in the family forever

david lee

DA71FX

Responses like these are the reason I stay with this forum, that and it is the only group of people that understand the obsessive devotion to antique and obsolete machines. Yesterday was my birthday and the girls wanted to sort through the parts to figure out what we needed....Once I ge the heat running in the garage I guess I'll start a build post....
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

92Fatty

Hope you had a great birthday. I'm looking forward to the build thread.

DA71FX

I wanted to revive this old post because something happened over the last couple of weeks that has shown me that nothing is really truly gone.....5 years ago I had to part ways with my 71......today I rolled her off of a trailer and back into my garage....my 71 is back home
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Racepres

jls 64

js

klammer76

klammer76

Did you ever do the build with your daughters?

Brrrap

Glad your bike is back! Your daughters are 16? now? Are they still showing their love of your bikes?
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

carioux2008

Quote from: Brrrap on January 13, 2020, 03:47:35 PM
Glad your bike is back! Your daughters are 16? now? Are they still showing their love of your bikes?
One must not forget to ask if they are still bugging the Ex with stories of life bonding over bikes with you!?!?  :chop: :crash: :koolaid: :SM: :SM: :SM:

DA71FX

We did complete the parts pile build, and yes they both are still into bikes.....they are actually helping with the 76 and they now live with me in VA so life has gotten better.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

DA71FX

93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Molly

Quote from: DA71FX on December 12, 2014, 02:53:25 PM
Responses like these are the reason I stay with this forum, that and it is the only group of people that understand the obsessive devotion to antique and obsolete machines.

I don't think of my Shovel as obsolete. The opposite really since built-in obsolescence is something more commonly associated with modern stuff.

Good luck with the family winter project.

JW113

I guess it's how you define obsolete. That is the word that comes to mind every time I walk into a HD dealer looking for OEM parts! There is built in obsolescence, but there is also business decision obsolescence. If they don't make & sell the parts anymore, that by definition is obsolete. Thankfully, the aftermarket has taken pretty good care of us for the engine and drive train stuff, but there are an awful lot of holes in the supply chain to source real quality parts. In many cases, the only option is V-Tiwan, which I completely refuse to use, else used parts from ebay and craigslist.

I dig the fact that Shovelheads are antique and obsolete. Wear it with pride! 99% of the riders these days would not be able to keep one on the road.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber