April 20, 2024, 01:37:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1978 Ironhead rear engine mount

Started by dubepj, December 27, 2014, 09:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

I haven't even got this bike home yet, (I'll pick up on New Years day) and now I'm reading lots about cracked rear engine mounts.  If mine is cracked do I have to take the engine cases apart to change it out??
I'm reading that on the 1977 and older models, this is the case where as on the 1978 and newer, the motor mounts were held on with bolts v/s studs.  Mine is a 1978.  Any one here done this before me?  Hopefully mine is not cracked although I read that most are cracked..
Thanks again for you insight guys.

Panzer

Just stopped to say congrats on (almost) getting the bike.  :up:
I can't help you with the 78' but stay posted here, others will chime in I'm sure.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Racepres

Quote from: dubepj on December 27, 2014, 09:15:01 AM
I haven't even got this bike home yet, (I'll pick up on New Years day) and now I'm reading lots about cracked rear engine mounts.  If mine is cracked do I have to take the engine cases apart to change it out??
I'm reading that on the 1977 and older models, this is the case where as on the 1978 and newer, the motor mounts were held on with bolts v/s studs.  Mine is a 1978.  Any one here done this before me?  Hopefully mine is not cracked although I read that most are cracked..
Thanks again for you insight guys.

Not necessarily..I always replace the "studs" with Bolts anyway...So, simply double-nut and remove the studs, then replace with bolts.
BTW If the mount is Not broken, I would be hesitant to remove engine unless necessary, It was set-up properly.

dubepj

Thanks for your reply Raceprez.  i won't take the engine out but I read that It's quite hard to remove the studs using the double nut method.  I wanted to know the best options.

Racepres

Quote from: dubepj on December 28, 2014, 02:09:26 PM
Thanks for your reply Raceprez.  i won't take the engine out but I read that It's quite hard to remove the studs using the double nut method.  I wanted to know the best options.

Oh! It is Not a Cake-Walk...especially if the bolts/studs are in a bind at all...But, if ya think about it...that is generally the way you are gonna remove them anyway...Maybe I've just been lucky...So, Maybe you'll get lucky and Not need to fool with it at all!!!