April 23, 2024, 01:00:53 PM

News:

Speaker ?

Started by harleytuner, January 07, 2015, 01:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytuner

I'll get the ball rolling with a speaker ?  I put a new head unit in my EG, it's the new Jensen (I know  :wtf:).  I only put it in because I wanted blue tooth and got a killer deal on it though a distributor.  Anyways it plugs into the factory harness (complete plug and play) and retained all the factory handlebar switches.  It's rated at 50 watts and 2 Ohms.  What is a good speaker to use with it?  AMP?

I know it's not a high end unit or nothing, but I liked that it fit into the factory space without a install kit and the factory wiring harness plugs directly into it without adapters.

UltraNutZ

Infinity Kappa 62.11i are the absolute best bang for the buck 6.5" speakers.  Just keep in mind you'll need to pick up a set of adapter rings for the speaker size difference from stock.  Later on with these speakers, if you decide to add an amp, you already have a great pair of speakers, just install your amp.

The adapter rings, although a little more pricey than some of the others you find floating around such as eBay etc., I prefer to use the ARC Audio rings.  Never an issue with fitment with any speaker.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

UltraNutZ

i'll further the above by saying..

I'll bring you the adapters, speakers, and an amp, and install it all while you tune my bike.     :wink:

ElGiganteJake

UN loves his kappas - I have had great success with the Pioneer TS-D1602R.  They can want a little of extra power (I run these in the fairing and the TSD 6x9s in lids).  These can be had pretty cheap as well.
~Jake

calif phil

Since the Jensen unit says it fits most years is it better to go with 2 or 6 ohm speakers?

IronMike113

Ultra your goin to be Busy here for awhile,follow your stuff on a few other sites,I myself am A Biketronics man myself.........  :oops:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

UltraNutZ

2 ohm will produce a better sound quality mainly because the volume level will be lower than if you used 6 ohm speakers.

Both will work fine Phil but the lower you keep that volume control, the less distortion being piped through your system.

So in other words for example, using a good 2 ohm speaker might produce 90db of sound at 3 bars of the volume control whereas a 6 ohm speaker would effectively take double that or more of the volume to produce the same amount of sound

Now with all that said, your head unit needs to be able to support a 2 ohm speaker without overheating.  Most aftermarket head units do not;  This Jensen unit does.  The first run of these Jensen units released back in Oct or so of last year had issues with the RCA connectors being cheap and breaking.  I think (to my knowledge) they've addressed that issue.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on January 07, 2015, 01:52:27 PM
Ultra your goin to be Busy here for awhile,follow your stuff on a few other sites,I myself am A Biketronics man myself.........  :oops:

No doubt Mike.. and yes I'm a BT person as well.  I'll always tell people to buy what you can afford to buy.  If you can afford the best, the BT speakers it is, especially the latest release of the Pro Series.  Kick butt speakers without a doubt.

hrdtail78

I have installed several Jensen units and I liked them so much I put one in my own bike.  I don't think it's a bad unit at all.  Much better than the POS HK unit.

Semper Fi

tdgriff

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 07, 2015, 01:54:39 PM
Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on January 07, 2015, 01:52:27 PM

No doubt Mike.. and yes I'm a BT person as well.  I'll always tell people to buy what you can afford to buy.  If you can afford the best, the BT speakers it is, especially the latest release of the Pro Series.  Kick butt speakers without a doubt.
I new you were going to mention the Infinity Kappas. Lol I love my pros but not sure how they would sound with out a amp

AAWAV

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 07, 2015, 01:23:03 PM
i'll further the above by saying..

I'll bring you the adapters, speakers, and an amp, and install it all while you tune my bike.     :wink:

Nutz - you are going to be too busy LOL. I'll make him a better offer. I'll throw in some beer (or otherwise) if he tunes my bike (AFTER I installed the SE254e i bought from you - still sitting on the shelve)...
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

harleytuner

Glad to here my Jensen is not that bad a unit.  I'm just going back to my school days, they didn't make very good car radios

haze324

January 07, 2015, 04:32:45 PM #12 Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:39:24 PM by haze324
I'm running the Kappa's and had nothing to compare them to, until Gann sent me some 4ohm speakers to try out with my amp.  The speakers he sent me sound great, but I really learned to appreciate how LOUD you can blast the Kappa's.  They do seem a tad too "bright" but man, at 80mph on the highway the volume is still so loud without distorting that I am now very impressed with their sound. 

harleytuner

Quote from: haze324 on January 07, 2015, 04:32:45 PM
I'm running the Kappa's and had nothing to compare them to, until Gann sent me some 4ohm speakers to try out with my amp.  The speakers he sent me sound great, but I really learned to appreciate how LOUD you can blast the Kappa's.  They do seem a tad too "bright" but man, at 80mph on the highway the volume is still so loud with distorting that I am now very impressed with their sound.

My deck is putting out 2 ohm's so i'll probably stay in that range.  My main reason for wanting to upgrade is that with all the performance work on my bike and the FatCat  it's pretty hard to hear it. 

AAWAV

Quote from: harleytuner on January 07, 2015, 04:38:24 PM
Quote from: haze324 on January 07, 2015, 04:32:45 PM
I'm running the Kappa's and had nothing to compare them to, until Gann sent me some 4ohm speakers to try out with my amp.  The speakers he sent me sound great, but I really learned to appreciate how LOUD you can blast the Kappa's.  They do seem a tad too "bright" but man, at 80mph on the highway the volume is still so loud with distorting that I am now very impressed with their sound.

My deck is putting out 2 ohm's so i'll probably stay in that range.  My main reason for wanting to upgrade is that with all the performance work on my bike and the FatCat  it's pretty hard to hear it.
yep - stick with 2 ohm - more efficient.... aka more Watts

Gannicus

Stick around here long enough and you won't be able to hear the fatcats. . . . Trust me.

harleytuner

Quote from: Gannicus on January 07, 2015, 05:45:20 PM
Stick around here long enough and you won't be able to hear the fatcats. . . . Trust me.

I knew you guys were trouble, there goes all my money....{Problem is, if I get the radio louder than the FatCat i'll have to buy a Wegner.  Those aint cheap!!

AAWAV

what about NO PIPE:hyst: :hyst:.... you're a tuner I understand... you can make it run like h.ll...   :scoot: :scoot:

harleytuner

Quote from: AAWAV on January 07, 2015, 05:57:06 PM
what about NO PIPE:hyst: :hyst:.... you're a tuner I understand... you can make it run like h.ll...   :scoot: :scoot:

I have a 124" EVO in my other bike that runs an open header (no muffler).  It's a beast.  132 HP 138 TRQ.  Carbed. and it's a beast

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

Gannicus

Harley Tuner - Quick non audio question. I presently have my Ultra tuned with the S.E.R.T is there a better tune out there?

harleytuner

Quote from: Gannicus on January 07, 2015, 09:00:51 PM
Harley Tuner - Quick non audio question. I presently have my Ultra tuned with the S.E.R.T is there a better tune out there?

What, year, model and performance mods do you have done?  Is it the older SERT of the newer (SEPST) with the button on it?

Gannicus

Harleytuner - I'll hit you up in the correct format. Don't want to get off on the wrong foot here hijacking a thread.

Thanks man!  :oops:

dirtracin23

Quote from: Gannicus on January 08, 2015, 03:24:10 PM
Harleytuner - I'll hit you up in the correct format. Don't want to get off on the wrong foot here hijacking a thread.

Yeah, I ain't been here but two days and I've already been took to the shed once.

Tough crowd over here.   Fun but tough.   :teeth:
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

harleytuner

Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 08, 2015, 04:59:10 PM

Yeah, I ain't been here but two days and I've already been took to the shed once.

They just like to keep things organized is all.  Just like you want to keep your mids and high's up front.  (see how I did that, I thew in a speaker reference so my post is on topic).  You'll get it figured out. 

Coyote

Quote from: harleytuner on January 08, 2015, 05:31:17 PM
Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 08, 2015, 04:59:10 PM

They just like to keep things organized is all.  Just like you want to keep your mids and high's up front.  (see how I did that, I thew in a speaker reference so my post is on topic).  You'll get it figured out.

:up:   Tech boards are for tech. We have Earl's Place for the rest. Plus, we left the Welcome thread here (for now) so as not to put a damper on any reunion chatter.  :teeth: