April 20, 2024, 01:10:27 AM

News:

14 FLHTK: Biketronics Pro vs. 7.1

Started by Rockrivr1, January 08, 2015, 05:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockrivr1

So I've been saving up to upgrade my stock 14 FLHTK audio system and after a bunch of research I think I'm going to install a Biketronics system.  I was leaning towards going with the 7.1 speakers in the fairing.  With the cost of the 7.1 package I can get speakers for the tour pack for the same money as the Pro package with just the fairing speakers. 

My question is whether there is that much of a difference between the 7.1 and Pro speakers that I should reconsider that strategy?  Also, what would be a good Biketronic option for the tour pack speakers?   The tour pack is the standard offering with the 14 FLHTK.

Thanks

hdrolling

I'll offer little to no help with most of your questions, but will say the non-comp 7.1's really rock hard. I can feel it in my chest while riding at full volume. I'd say if your budget allows the more expensive comp style go for it but for the average rider you will be more than happy with the normal 7.1's. IMHO.
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

tdgriff

Quote from: hdrolling on January 09, 2015, 04:09:05 AM
I'll offer little to no help with most of your questions, but will say the non-comp 7.1's really rock hard. I can feel it in my chest while riding at full volume. I'd say if your budget allows the more expensive comp style go for it but for the average rider you will be more than happy with the normal 7.1's. IMHO.
I have tried both . I like the pros they have more punch then the regular 7.1s . The only thing is I think they can take more then the BT amp can give them.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: hdrolling on January 09, 2015, 04:09:05 AM

:agree:

I always tell people, buy what you can afford to buy.  If you can afford the best, then get after it.
The standard 7.1" are far superior to any speaker out there period!  Better sound, better quality, better specs, better performance.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Rockrivr1

Thanks guys.  For the price I think I'll go with the 7.1 with the amp that comes with the package.

Any thoughts on the tour pack speakers.  I don't see anything on their web site specifically for the tour pack.  Would just buying another set of the 7.1 speakers be the option I'd go with?

Thanks again.

hdrolling

From what I've read and I'll quote from another site.....

Quoteproblem comes in with the rear pods because HD redesigned those and moved the passenger controls a little higher in the pod making the replacement of those speakers limited. IMO, I would go the route of the full BT kit for front with 4180 amp, and a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.11i for the rear pods

from what I've read you should be able to install the Infinity Kappa 62.11i with no modifications.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Rockrivr1 on January 09, 2015, 06:16:40 AM
Thanks guys.  For the price I think I'll go with the 7.1 with the amp that comes with the package.

Any thoughts on the tour pack speakers.  I don't see anything on their web site specifically for the tour pack.  Would just buying another set of the 7.1 speakers be the option I'd go with?

Thanks again.

well that all depends on your budget.  Will the 7.1" in the pods be more effective and produce more sound quality than the Infinity 6.5" back there in stock pods, by all means.  But you have to weight whether or not it's worth the added expense and work to you.  Keep in mind if you've got stock pods now and want to retain the passenger controls, you'll need to remove those from the stock pods and relocate to the new pods.  It's not a difficult task at all, just takes a little time.

Rockrivr1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 07:32:53 AM

well that all depends on your budget.  Will the 7.1" in the pods be more effective and produce more sound quality than the Infinity 6.5" back there in stock pods, by all means.  But you have to weight whether or not it's worth the added expense and work to you.  Keep in mind if you've got stock pods now and want to retain the passenger controls, you'll need to remove those from the stock pods and relocate to the new pods.  It's not a difficult task at all, just takes a little time.

Thanks for the further clarification.  Just to make sure I have this right.  If I go with a full Biketronic's system, I'll need to install their tour pack pods where the stock ones are now.  Once bought I'll need to cut one pod to install the passenger controls.  Other then that, all wiring is plug and play with the existing wiring.   The only wiring I need to run will be for power and ground back to the battery.

Do I have this correct?   

UltraNutZ

Rockrivr1

Great!  Thanks for the confirmation.  Cutting is easy.  Rewiring, not so much....   

Sprint07

Quote from: Rockrivr1 on January 09, 2015, 08:43:44 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 07:32:53 AM

I have one question on this, I am in the process of purchasing the BT4180/7.1/6.5 for the lowers/ and Infinity's for the rear pods.  Bill at BikeTronics told me I need one set of wiring harnesses from VTwin Audio to get the pods to work.  He said that I need to take the signal from the pods back front to the amp and then back to the pods with the 62.11i's.  He basically said he has been dragging his feet on making his own harness and has been buying and using VTwin's.

Did I miss something with your build??  Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this but I'm ready to buy all my stuff.

Thanks for the further clarification.  Just to make sure I have this right.  If I go with a full Biketronic's system, I'll need to install their tour pack pods where the stock ones are now.  Once bought I'll need to cut one pod to install the passenger controls.  Other then that, all wiring is plug and play with the existing wiring.   The only wiring I need to run will be for power and ground back to the battery.

Do I have this correct?
2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
2014 Electra Glide Ultra

UltraNutZ

hdrolling

His title stated for the '14, I didn't think Biketronics had rear pods completed yet that fit the 14 tour pack?

UltraNutZ

Quote from: hdrolling on January 09, 2015, 12:15:02 PM
His title stated for the '14, I didn't think Biketronics had rear pods completed yet that fit the 14 tour pack?

that's what I get for trying to help when I'm so distracted.. you are right hdrolling.. there is no rear POD available for the 14 and up tourpaks.. I'm embarrassed  :embarrassed:  I didn't catch that..

Sprint07

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
Which bike Sprint07?

2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic; per your suggestion, I've been speaking with Bill at BikeTronics and have avoided Robin cuz I just don't have that type of time!!! 
2014 Electra Glide Ultra

Rockrivr1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 12:21:50 PM
Quote from: hdrolling on January 09, 2015, 12:15:02 PM

that's what I get for trying to help when I'm so distracted.. you are right hdrolling.. there is no rear POD available for the 14 and up tourpaks.. I'm embarrassed  :embarrassed:  I didn't catch that..

I'm glad Sprint07 threw in his question as I was getting ready to buy the Biketronic's package with the amp, 7.1 speakers and pods for my 14 Ultra Limited.  So now I'm back to square 1 on what to get to upgrade the pods.  Seems to be a lot of recommendations on the Infinity speakers but sounds like it's not plug and play.   

UltraNutZ

the infinity speakers in the rear pods are about as plug n play as it gets.  Unscrew and unplug your stock stuff, then plug in the new speakers and screw em down.  Done.  Rear pod speakers would be the least of my worries

Rockrivr1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 03:59:41 PM
the infinity speakers in the rear pods are about as plug n play as it gets.  Unscrew and unplug your stock stuff, then plug in the new speakers and screw em down.  Done.  Rear pod speakers would be the least of my worries

Sorry to beat this like a dead horse, but Spring07 just posted:
QuoteI have one question on this, I am in the process of purchasing the BT4180/7.1/6.5 for the lowers/ and Infinity's for the rear pods.  Bill at BikeTronics told me I need one set of wiring harnesses from VTwin Audio to get the pods to work.  He said that I need to take the signal from the pods back front to the amp and then back to the pods with the 62.11i's.  He basically said he has been dragging his feet on making his own harness and has been buying and using VTwin's.

This sounds to me that Bill at Biketronics is saying he needs a new wiring harness from VTwin's to install the Infinity speakers in the pods. 

UltraNutZ

if you want it to be 100% plug n play with no cutting or tapping of wires, then yes you'll need to take your existing pod speaker wires, run them to the front for the rear input of the amp, then run new wires from the amp back to the pods.  That's a lot of trouble and unnecessary expense and wiring IMO.  Get you a pack of these positaps and tap the 4 wires on Pin 1,2,24,25 on the 35 pin connector on the back of the radio for your rear inputs.  Just leave your stock wiring exactly where it is and tape up the ends in the pods.  Then run you a new set of speaker wires back to the pods from the amp outputs.

Pin 1 - Green - Right Rear +
Pin 2 - Brown - Left Rear +
Pin 24 - Green/Brown - Right Rear -
Pin 25 - Brown/White - Left Rear -

dforeid

Quote from: hdrolling on January 09, 2015, 06:27:59 AM

Quoteproblem comes in with the rear pods because HD redesigned those and moved the passenger controls a little higher in the pod making the replacement of those speakers limited. IMO, I would go the route of the full BT kit for front with 4180 amp, and a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.11i for the rear pods

from what I've read you should be able to install the Infinity Kappa 62.11i with no modifications.

I have the BT2180 AMP and the 7.1s in the fairing. Sounds awesome, but when I go to add again, I will not touch the rears and invest in the Titan II 6.5s in my lowers. That way you have all the sound in FRONT of you. I think it's a bigger bang for the buck to have that additional sound out front. Ultra, I'd like to hear your opinion ??
2019 RG - Vivid Black CFR Slipons, Arlen Ness Stretch Bags, Ohlin HD159s

UltraNutZ

Quote from: dforeid on January 09, 2015, 08:00:30 PM

I have the BT2180 AMP and the 7.1s in the fairing. Sounds awesome, but when I go to add again, I will not touch the rears and invest in the Titan II 6.5s in my lowers. That way you have all the sound in FRONT of you. I think it's a bigger bang for the buck to have that additional sound out front. Ultra, I'd like to hear your opinion ??

absolutely no question about it.  More quality sound in front of you, the bigger the smile on your face.  I've always told folks that sitting still the entire system, front and rears sounds great.  Once you get moving, the rears become nothing more than "fill" sound.

tdgriff

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 10, 2015, 06:31:02 AM

absolutely no question about it.  More quality sound in front of you, the bigger the smile on your face.  I've always told folks that sitting still the entire system, front and rears sounds great.  Once you get moving, the rears become nothing more than "fill" sound.
That is so true . Put you money up front.

Gannicus

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 10, 2015, 06:31:02 AM

And to add to Nutz's comments and me being a speaker fanatic., I have not found a better speaker for the lowers pods than the Titan II properly powered.  The Infinity 62.11i are a close second with a little less bass.

Rockrivr1

This might be a stupid question but can you easily install speakers in the lowers when you have the reservoir in one that cools the heads?  I pulled the cover on the lower and it doesn't seem like there is a lot of room in there.   

dforeid

Rockrvr - I forgot about the fact that your Limited is water cooled. Game changer there for the lowers possibly. Not sure if it is possible on yours.... UltraNutz would know how to do it if it even is possible though, I'm sure.
2019 RG - Vivid Black CFR Slipons, Arlen Ness Stretch Bags, Ohlin HD159s

Sprint07

Quote from: dforeid on January 10, 2015, 01:43:29 PM
Rockrvr - I forgot about the fact that your Limited is water cooled. Game changer there for the lowers possibly. Not sure if it is possible on yours.... UltraNutz would know how to do it if it even is possible though, I'm sure.

I have the 2014 Ultra NOT liquid cooled and the lowers, once CVO lowers altered, will accept speakers.

Bill at BT has said that they have found a way to get speakers in the liquid cooled Limited's at this point, yet!

2014 Electra Glide Ultra

Sprint07

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 04:13:20 PM
if you want it to be 100% plug n play with no cutting or tapping of wires, then yes you'll need to take your existing pod speaker wires, run them to the front for the rear input of the amp, then run new wires from the amp back to the pods.  That's a lot of trouble and unnecessary expense and wiring IMO.  Get you a pack of these positaps and tap the 4 wires on Pin 1,2,24,25 on the 35 pin connector on the back of the radio for your rear inputs.  Just leave your stock wiring exactly where it is and tape up the ends in the pods.  Then run you a new set of speaker wires back to the pods from the amp outputs.

NutZ, I took your advice and spoke to Bill at BT about two weeks ago, told him what I wanted to do, completely plug and play for me, I'm kinda a dummy when it comes to the nuts and bolts of wiring, but Bill strongly suggested that I purchase the VTwin harness and install it.  I understand what he is telling me, and I don't see any real additional work as you have to get under the gas tank and seat anyway, it can't be too hard to run that harness from VTwin since everything is open at this point???

FWIW, I am doing fairing, lowers and the rear pods on my bike.  My wife is a professional musician and she really likes having the "fill" coming from the pod speakers on the tourpak.  We found that out on my 09 Ultra Classic when I did fairing and lowers and did nothing with the pods.  The sound is awesome with all of it coming from the front, but she felt there was something missing.  Wired in the rear pods and she gave me a two thumbs up and loves the sound on that bike.  We still have and ride the 09 which is the reason for the push to update the sound on the 14.

Thanks for all the help!!

Pin 1 - Green - Right Rear +
Pin 2 - Brown - Left Rear +
Pin 24 - Green/Brown - Right Rear -
Pin 25 - Brown/White - Left Rear -
2014 Electra Glide Ultra

CaptJaC

January 14, 2015, 11:53:27 AM #27 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:40:44 PM by CaptJaC
On my 2014 FLHTK, I have BT 7.1 speakers with a BT2180 amp and a pair of magic boxes for my front sound and the rear pods are all OEM i.e. direct from HU no mods. 

If I get the 8 speaker no amp flash to eliminate the magic box, and install a pair of Kappas in the rear, will they sound OK without an amp? 

Sorry if this is the wrong forum seemed to sorta deal with  the topic. Also not trying to hijack the topic. 

JaC

2014 Ultra Limited-Charcoal Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
USAF-Retired(1987-2011)