April 19, 2024, 01:33:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Non Audio related "Noob" question?

Started by hdrolling, January 09, 2015, 05:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdrolling

Have any of the Audio "Noobs" been over to the Twin cam section and tried to read any of the engine threads? I thought I knew a little about engines but there going way over my head   :scratch:
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

UltraNutZ

January 09, 2015, 06:49:14 AM #1 Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:53:27 AM by UltraNutZ
hehe.. there are 2 things (well 3) that I'll share with you guys that are just coming over.

• This site is well-organized by Coyote and the other admins here and one of the reasons I like it so much, great job guys..  The main thing you must get used to is the way the tech sections works over here.  They want to keep tech related stuff (questions and answers) in the tech sections and all the idle chit chat in Earl's Place.  This provides one hell of nice benefit to anyone looking for something specifically as they no longer have to sift through 88 pages of a thread, of which 6 are sales pitches to find those two words you're looking for.
  • I've been here since sometime back in 2012 and still getting used to some of the areas here myself.  There are rules and as pointed out it's no different than anywhere else as far as sponsors go, no bashing.  If you've got an experienced opinion whether favorable or not to that sponsor, by all means share it but be respectful about it otherwise you'll find your threads/posts in the "SHED" or worse.  You won't find pissing contests over here pertaining to BS information.  You will however find pissing contests from time to time that are technical (some way over my own head) and mind-stimulating but it's all facts.  On that note, let me point this out too.. Don't ever call Max out unless you plan to back it up!  LOL.. The guy is a walking technical encyclopedia and ain't afraid to put you in your place.
  • As for the plethora of information on this site;  there are a TON of extremely knowledgeable people here who are no less than experts in their chosen professions.  Not saying they'll always be nice to you, but they will be respectful and you won't get smoke blown up your ($^ by anyone here.  These guys know their stuff and you must respect that.. it's what they do and I'm proud to know them.  Sometimes it can be a tough crowd
  • ok I'll add a 4th item but this information is posted in the classifieds section as well so read it when you get a chance.  When you put something up for sale here or looking for something to buy, make sure your title starts off with FS, WTT or WTB otherwise your thread will get moved to the "SHED".  Once you sell or buy your item, respond to your own thread and change the subject to SOLD, FOUND, etc. so the admin know to move it off.  FS, WTT, WTB threads don't stick around here like on other sites where they sit and collect dust for years.  If you sell it, buy it, trade it, it gets moved off to keep clutter to a minimum.  For example:  if you're selling a set of Infinity Speakers then your subject of the thread should be "FS Infinity Kappa 62.11i" and NOT Infinity Kappa 62.11i.  I think you guys get the point.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

tdgriff

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 06:49:14 AM
hehe.. there are 2 things (well 3) that I'll share with you guys that are just coming over.

• This site is well-organized by Coyote and the other admins here and one of the reasons I like it so much, great job guys..  The main thing you must get used to is the way the tech sections works over here.  They want to keep tech related stuff (questions and answers) in the tech sections and all the idle chit chat in Earl's Place.  This provides one hell of nice benefit to anyone looking for something specifically as they no longer have to sift through 88 pages of a thread, of which 6 are sales pitches to find those two words you're looking for.
  • I've been here since sometime back in 2012 and still getting used to some of the areas here myself.  There are rules and as pointed out it's no different than anywhere else as far as sponsors go, no bashing.  If you've got an experienced opinion whether favorable or not to that sponsor, by all means share it but be respectful about it otherwise you'll find your threads/posts in the "SHED" or worse.  You won't find pissing contests over here pertaining to BS information.  You will however find pissing contests from time to time that are technical (some way over my own head) and mind-stimulating but it's all facts.  On that note, let me point this out too.. Don't ever call Max out unless you plan to back it up!  LOL.. The guy is a walking technical encyclopedia and ain't afraid to put you in your place.
  • As for the plethora of information on this site;  there are a TON of extremely knowledgeable people here who are no less than experts in their chosen professions.  Not saying they'll always be nice to you, but they will be respectful and you won't get smoke blown up your ($^ by anyone here.  These guys know their stuff and you must respect that.. it's what they do and I'm proud to know them.  Sometimes it can be a tough crowd
  • ok I'll add a 4th item but this information is posted in the classifieds section as well so read it when you get a chance.  When you put something up for sale here or looking for something to buy, make sure your title starts off with FS, WTT or WTB otherwise your thread will get moved to the "SHED".  Once you sell or buy your item, respond to your own thread and change the subject to SOLD, FOUND, etc. so the admin know to move it off.  FS, WTT, WTB threads don't stick around here like on other sites where they sit and collect dust for years.  If you sell it, buy it, trade it, it gets moved off to keep clutter to a minimum.  For example:  if you're selling a set of Infinity Speakers then your subject of the thread should be "FS Infinity Kappa 62.11i" and NOT Infinity Kappa 62.11i.  I think you guys get the point.
Your not kidding I think this place is going to take some time to get use to.I'm trying to figure out how to get that Harley tech talk off my screen. Thanks nutz for the info.

dirtracin23

A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

rbferg

January 09, 2015, 10:49:22 AM #4 Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:05:23 PM by rbferg
I really like the "clutter free" feel of this Forum, it's great not having to wade through loads of BS and adds in your face constantly! I've been lurking around here for some time and there's a ton of great info here. It's gonna take some time to get used to but I'm here for knowledge not crap.   :up:

Modes

Funny you post this...haha!  I went in and was like whoa...

Well explained UN.  It is like medical ailments I am sure....pure gibberish until are plagued with something, you research it and then before you know it...the information on the topic is very legible and all makes sense.  I am sure the wealth of information on this site will be very useful down the road. I have peeked in the door in the past, led here via a Google search on something a time or two.

Adam

jamess71

I can see getting sucked into engine mods on this site for sure. Just like I was sucked into the audio forum on the other site with the experts on board. I like it, but as we say our wallets won't . ;-)

UltraNutZ

James the beauty of that will be everyone will help you get there and no one will be trying to sell you something you don't need.    :up:

Soft 02

Quote from: hdrolling on January 09, 2015, 05:58:39 AM
Have any of the Audio "Noobs" been over to the Twin cam section and tried to read any of the engine threads? I thought I knew a little about engines but there going way over my head   :scratch:

Best to just add a bookmark and listen. Very good info and the hounds can smell BS a mile away. Hard to get a high post count in this forum.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

haze324

I clicked, tried to read and......well I was lost  :scratch:

I've got more reading to do, and then

get sucked in.  :koolaid:

harley_cruiser

Well I like that there is not a lot of crap, "you are a biker" " the nothining" threads.
I wish there was more fabrications; projects; build thread\section.
Sorry for the rambling, just trying to get my thread count up.;-)

lilchief

Dont forget that if you want to post items in the swap meet section you must donate & become a sight supporter! (Correct me if I'm wrong  on this one please)

Lil Chief

UltraNutZ

Quote from: harley_cruiser on January 09, 2015, 03:30:24 PM
Well I like that there is not a lot of crap, "you are a biker" " the nothining" threads.

the difference is in the better mouse trap itself.  Over there, everyone was trying to do it.  Over here, most of these smart mofos have already done it and can tell you how NOT to do it.   :up:

Badgerbob

Badgerbob

Hossamania

Quote from: harley_cruiser on January 09, 2015, 03:30:24 PM

If there is something specific, or even in general, that you're looking for, n st ask, and someone here will help you.
This site has expert metal workers, painters, fabricators like you can't believe, motor builders, tuners... You name it, they're here.
I haven't noticed a whole lot of questions regarding 30" front wheels though.   :embarrassed:
Try and post in the proper section, but don't worry about being in the wrong area, eventually it will get moved the right one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

nibroc

30" FRONT WHEELS----that be new to me

the Ohm heads at all the bike nites  bother me

Hossamania

Go to any of the bike shows now and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 30" bagger. They're unique, just like everybody else's.
Donnie Smith show last spring had 80% of them with 30 inches. Not my style, I don't see them out touring, putting any miles on.
As far as bike nights go, I agree all the stereos can get to be a bit much.
And I hate riding next to someone cranking their tunes. We're in a group, riding 20 or 30 minutes to our next stop. Do you need to blast it all the time? If we're on a trip on the open road, and I can get some separation, fine. But group riding, tone it down. Loud pipes? Fine, I can deal with them. But, I know not everyone appreciates them either, so I try to be a bit respectful with mine.

Whew, a little rant that got away from me!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

UltraNutZ

and I totally agree with you Hoss.  big wheel bikes just not my cup-o-tea and to be quite honest neither are custom painted bikes.  Don't get me wrong, they're cool to look at and talk about but I wouldn't own either.

I don't participate in the bike nights and these days I really don't see the point other than to strut your stuff.  Back in the day as has been mentioned previously, one would roll up to bike night, have a few beers with buds and could actually hear themselves talk.  That's not the case anymore.

And IMO you hit the proverbial nail on the head with the respect comment.   :up:   Sad part is simply that some just don't give chit, it's all about being cool.

hdrolling

I do attend bike nights every week, and having a loud system on my bike is a lot about the cool factor. I'll own that, but being retired I do ride alone a lot out in the country and it's nice to be able to blast a good song every so often and have it clear and powerful. On the interstate it's nice as well! 30" wheel, defiantly not my thing. Finding tires for my 19/18 agitator wheels is a pain as it is, I couldn't imagine being on a road trip with a 30" and have a flat and trying to find a shop that has one in stock? :sick:
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1