April 23, 2024, 04:11:40 PM

News:

Spectrum Analyzers

Started by gordonr, January 10, 2015, 10:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonr

I'm finally getting close to finishing my MC Arc display I started in the summer.  We installed the Arc Moto 6.2s and Arc's two channel amp running a Pioneer HU. The MC audio is new to my shop so I was looking into purchasing a spectrum analyzer to figure out the audio bugs in the fairing's and what services we can apply when installing bike audio here for a better sound.  Any advice would be great.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

UltraNutZ

Gordon, didn't you and I talk about this some months ago?  The display I mean..
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

gordonr

We did but the shop has been so busy I couldn't get back to it till recently. Had the display wrapped and that took 2 months as well to get it back. Today we did a sound check and we weren't impressed so hense the question and getting to the bottom of it.

UltraNutZ

thought so.. topic rang a bell when you mentioned it. that thing is badd-azz to say the least.  would like to see the finished product.

You know who would be a good contact for you and this question, Bill at BT.  Phone him up and he'll talk with you, he's that kinda guy.  They use a couple of different spectrum analyzers for both testing and troubleshooting and he is VERY experienced at it.  What I used back in the day for building bandpass crossover networks was Tektronix and I'm sure they're probably still at the top of the field.

gordonr

Thanks UN I will do that. Wont have it totally assembled until all the issues are cleared up. But here's a few pics. The deck is diamond plate and a some leather will be up the tanks with the point of sale info. Remember I designed the display to roll out side next to a customers running bike so they can here the diff with their pipes in play.

UltraNutZ

gordonr

UltraNutZ

i don't get the use of that software.. in addition it clearly states it's not accurate and shouldn't be construed as such in the manual.   :scratch:

gordonr

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 11, 2015, 05:38:16 AM
i don't get the use of that software.. in addition it clearly states it's not accurate and shouldn't be construed as such in the manual.   :scratch:

True. I'm going call them tomorrow to find out more. Could be just a CYA for the lawyers.

speedzter

We're talking audio here, I don't think you need to be super accurate.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: speedzter on January 11, 2015, 02:24:30 PM
We're talking audio here, I don't think you need to be super accurate.

true but for what gordonr is doing (trying to setup), I would think it his advantage to obtain the best outcome possible.  I don't feel you'll do it with that software.  Pretty slick piece of software though.. I was playing with it earlier this morning.

speedzter

January 11, 2015, 09:34:23 PM #12 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:37:48 PM by speedzter
I honestly believe this software (or something similar https://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm ) would be ideal .
A high end Spec' An' is a bit of an overkill (not to mention harder to use ) .

We have a very expensive Rhode-Schwarz Spec' An' at work, and I would never think of using it (starts at 100khz anyway !)