April 22, 2024, 11:32:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Removing Stock Radio

Started by FearNoEvil, January 10, 2015, 09:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearNoEvil

Ok.. getting a bit frustrated with my install.  Doing the PBR300x2 on top of the radio and trying to relocate my CB module under the radio as others have suggested.  I can't for the life of me find a good way to secure the CB module to the underside of the radio.  I am using some 3M velcro (Their version of it) to try to attach the CB but I am running into a few problems.

First of all, there are some screw holes on the bottom of the radio which prevent the CB module from sitting flat against the bottom.. so the velcro is only somewhat effective way inside where the CB is sitting 'flatter' against the radio.. toward the front, these screw mounting holes almost completely prevent me from using velcro because they are like maybe 1/8" raised from the bottom of the radio.  Will probably be able to zip tie the front but I don't think I can do the part deeper inside the fairing.

So my thought, before I start breaking things.. is if its easy to remove the stock radio I could probably get a more secure connection.  Are there any instructions out there on how to remove it. is it fairly quick and easy to do?  Been working on this install since Wednesday and I am ready to ride.
FearNoEvil

moose

actually if you have the fairing removed it's fairly easy to get the radio out only 4 screws and move some wires out of the way

how about some body side moulding tape that is double sided and then a few large wire ties it should hold it in place  the tape with a little extra 3m adhesive should hold it
Moose aka Glenn-

UltraNutZ

man don't get frustrated, that's when things start breaking.

the industrial strength velcro I refer to is pretty thick (about 1/4" when mated)

adhere the velcro to the entire top of the CB module then press it to the bottom of the head unit. Then do as you stated with the zip tie.  That 12oz module ain't going to move.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

FearNoEvil

I guess thinking about it removing the radio won't do me any good, I couldn't slide it back in with the cb module on it..   I am thinking some regular velco will work better.. I've been using some 3m stuff which locks in with more plastic type connectors than the regular fabric, and I just can't get it to secure under the radio..  It is real hard to push together, but makes a super secure connection.

The fabric type may be allow it to connect easier..  I'll try that.
FearNoEvil

UltraNutZ

yeah I love that plastic "hook/loop" velcro but it's not easy to find and it's quite a bit more expensive than the regular fabric type you refer to.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

moose

just use the velcro that comes with an ez pass   if you need more just call the your ez pass vendor and they will send it to you free
Moose aka Glenn-

FearNoEvil

I got everything to work with some regular velcro.. and then some zip ties.  Thanks everyone!  Tunes sound great.
FearNoEvil