April 19, 2024, 11:55:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Radio swap Stock 03 Radio to a 2013 H-K

Started by crazy joe, January 11, 2015, 02:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy joe

I have a 03 EG Classic I'm going to swap out the
Stock Radio with a Stock 2013 H-K Harley Radio.
I have heard this can be done,    If I want the AVC
to work the radio will have to be sent out for some kind
of modification. This can be done? Will all my controls work?

UltraNutZ

Quote from: crazy joe on January 11, 2015, 02:10:47 PM
I have a 03 EG Classic I'm going to swap out the
Stock Radio with a Stock 2013 H-K Harley Radio.
I have heard this can be done,    If I want the AVC
to work the radio will have to be sent out for some kind
of modification. This can be done? Will all my controls work?

perfect fit
you'll need to have it sent to ICA for their mojo on the AVC, yes.
all your controls will work
do you have rear speakers and rear passenger controls?  If so, that's going to entail a bit more work as you'll need to remove the existing 23 pin connector on the right side of the back of the radio and re-pin it to a 35 pin connector.
in addition you mentioned XM.  If you want to add XM, you're still going to need to need the NUOH harness from HD to get that working.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

crazy joe

I have the XM Module and the Harness for it.
the harness from what I was told and can see
has been cleaned up, don't know for sure because
I have never had one in my hands, I have just seen pics.
I guess I'll be sending the radio off for the modification.
Hope I haven't wasted my money.
This  Aftermarket Audio and Electronics section came about
3 weeks after I made the commitment.

UltraNutZ

can you shoot some pics of the harness so we can take a look at it?  Not sure exactly what cleaned up means.

not sure if you saw my question about the rear speakers and controls.

Coyote

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 11, 2015, 02:59:54 PM
can you shoot some pics of the harness so we can take a look at it?  Not sure exactly what cleaned up means.

not sure if you saw my question about the rear speakers and controls.

Probably it means what I do to them. I remove all the unwanted connectors, like the ones for the rear passenger, sidecar, etc. Makes it much neater when you install it. Less crap to pack in.

crazy joe

January 11, 2015, 04:52:35 PM #5 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:02:32 PM by crazy joe
I will take some pics of harness.
No rear speakers or controls.
That reminds me wont I have to change speakers?
And what and want are these speaker rings i hear about?
Will I need them? Don't plan on making a boom blaster
just want good tunes.

UltraNutZ

the stock speakers in your current setup are 8 ohm so yes you'll want to change speakers as well.

2 ohm is what the 06 and up models use. 

Arc Audio is the adapter rings I use for all my installs.

The speakers are up to you. there are several good 2 ohm speakers out there, Infinity Kappa 62.11i is one I use a lot of

crazy joe

January 11, 2015, 05:42:02 PM #7 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:48:05 PM by crazy joe
Harness

pp6000v2

Quote from: crazy joe on January 11, 2015, 05:42:02 PM
Harness

I did this on a 2001. The overlay harness you have as is doesn't get the 12v power you need to power the XM module- you'd need to tap of off some source (I spliced into one of the two in the 23-pin connector). Unless I'm missing where there's 12v+ to be had in the 35-pin?
'01 FLHTC w/ a shoehorned H-K radio. Lots of audio harness fabrications....

Coyote

pp6000v2

Quote from: Coyote on January 11, 2015, 07:52:04 PM
The middle connector gets power.

Unless there was a harness change by '03, that middle plug has no where to connect to the bike as I understand it.  There is the 12-pin Ultra Overlay Harness [6B] connector on the bike, and pin 5 on that makes its way back to the brakes/cruise fuse- he could theoretically tap into that.  But that fabbed harness he has there uses a 6-pin connector. He would need to get the pieces for a 12-pin Deutsch receptacle housing and re-pin.

Coyote

Yeah, as it's an 03 I think you are correct.  I was thinking newer bikes.

My 2012 has the connector as I added the overlay when I installed a CB module.  The connector was labeled Interconnect as I recall. But I don't see it on the 03 wiring diagrams. Not surprising since they did not have any add on modules back then.

crazy joe

January 12, 2015, 08:37:45 AM #12 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:23:04 AM by crazy joe
I believe the harness is off a 09,   
Can someone post a parts list with instructions
to make this harness work.
Thanks in advance.

pp6000v2

[attach=1]
Quote from: crazy joe on January 12, 2015, 08:37:45 AM
Can some some post a parts list with instructions
Thanks in advance.

The simplest way would be to tap into the 23-pin main radio harness (the black 23-pin connector) for power:

• pin 10 for battery + (and runs back through the radio memory fuse; any other source of power I used had XM come up on the preview channel everytime I powered up)
  • pin 11 for ground -

From there, I have a picture attached that shows the pinouts needed for the XM module to work.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: pp6000v2 on January 12, 2015, 09:54:10 AM
[attach=1]
Quote from: crazy joe on January 12, 2015, 08:37:45 AM
Can some some post a parts list with instructions
Thanks in advance.

The simplest way would be to tap into the 23-pin main radio harness (the black 23-pin connector) for power:

• pin 10 for battery + (and runs back through the radio memory fuse; any other source of power I used had XM come up on the preview channel everytime I powered up)
  • pin 11 for ground -
From there, I have a picture attached that shows the pinouts needed for the XM module to work.
:up:   nice!

crazy joe

Now this is my weak spot Electrical.

These numbers your talking about aren't
on the diagram you posted are they.

10 and 11 are on the plug that goes
to the radio? ( on the harness) And splices to the 
radio memory fuse and the ground on
the diagram you posted?

UltraNutZ

they are on the connector on the radio.  Get you a magnifying glass if needed but they are on the connector itself. 

pp6000v2

January 12, 2015, 02:47:06 PM #17 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:15:43 AM by pp6000v2
Yes, where the diagram shows [6B]/[6A] with the power/ground wires going, you don't have that mating connector in your bike.  BUT, it's simple enough.  I just used a scotchlok crimp splice (UN may protest they're not the best connector, but it's what I had on hand) to tap the +12v on pin 10 from the main radio harness, and in my install I used the ground wire that's part of the unused position light harness that's attached to the headlight wires.  If I did it again, I would tap the ground on the radio harness.

The 23-pin connector has little numbers marked on the back side that let you figure out what pin is what.

The harness you showed looks like it's wired right, you just need to pop the wires that are in the top row of that 6-pin connector and splice them into the power and ground you need from the main radio harness.  A multimeter to make sure you've got the right wires will help.

crazy joe

pp6000v2

January 13, 2015, 07:10:39 AM #19 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:17:20 AM by pp6000v2
Wow someone really gooped the 35-pin connector there... Adding pins in the future will be a pain, but you might never do that. 

The wires all look to be in the right  positions, so you're good on that. On the connector with only 6 wires, there is the red/orange stripe wire (your +12v) and next to it the black/green stripe wire (your ground).  You end up needing to snip them off of the connector, and depending on how your install goes, possibly extend the wires (solder or butt splicing).

Pull back the ribbed wire cover on the main radio harness, and identify pins 10/11.  Looking at this picture, it goes pin #1 top left across to #8, then pin #9 begins the middle row on the left through pin #15, then pin #16 starts the bottom row going across to pin #23 on the bottom right. 
[attach=1]

Get yourself a couple scotchloks:
[attach=2]

Splice together with the power and ground wires you freed up in the XM harness, and you should be good to go.

crazy joe

January 13, 2015, 08:40:35 AM #20 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:04:52 AM by crazy joe
The main radio harness is part of the harness
that's under the fairing not the 35 pin harness
I have in my hands correct?

Is there a cleaner way to splice into these wires?
I do have access to pins a way to remove them
and a crimping tool to crimp new pins on. 

pp6000v2

That is correct.  A cleaner way, if you have the socket pins required, may be pulling the #10 & 11 wires out of the 23-pin connector, nipping off the existing pins, and crimping both power/ground wires together into new pins.  Throw on a zip tie over the whole bundle for strain relief, and connect away. The socket pins themselves are the same between the 23-pin and 35-pin connnectors.

UltraNutZ

Joe he's actually referring to the 23 pin connector on your existing radio.  there is no power or ground on the 35 pin connector that plugs into the radio.  you'll need to take the orange/red and green/black and tie them into either pins 10 and 11 on the 23 pin connector or tie them into battery power and ground elsewhere, up to you. 
The 35 pin connector you have in your hand, there is nothing to pin into that connector at all for the XM install, it's already done with the 5 wires that are there.

crazy joe

January 13, 2015, 10:16:31 AM #23 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:23:55 AM by crazy joe
Here's a idea....can I get a male 6 pin connector.
Install the pins in the right spots then run the positive
wire to a accessory power wire, or does this have to
have constant power as in the memory wire for the
radio then run a ground wire.  Does that sound right?
I Know pp6000v2 had said something about the power
wire going to the XM module had to be right or it wouldn't
power up right.   All this would be done at the 6 pin connector.
Sounds to simple so that cant be right.

Now that I've typed it out it doesn't sound right.

That 23 pin connector still needs to be powered up?

Trying to get away from splicing into that 23 pin
harness... not going to happen is it.

UltraNutZ

pv seems to have had issues with connecting +12 and -12 anywhere else besides the 23 pin connector but in reality, 12v is 12v that is unless it's dropping below 12v and resetting the device.  I would think you'd be perfectly fine tying in for +12v anywhere else and yes it needs to be a constant 12v connection to retain memory on the device.  And IMO, yes it is that simple.

pp6000v2

Yeah. On the first version of my harness, I used the unused pigtail that's attached to the headlight harness (the one people tend to use for REM for their amps).  The problem I had, which was more annoyance than problem, is that the radio memory of last tuned channel is lost every time the bike is turned off.  So if I was listening to ch37 on XM, the next time I'd turn the bike on, when I'd go to XM it would be on the ch01 preview channel. Minor inconvenience, but eliminated by using a line coming through the radio fuse it seemed.

UltraNutZ

ah.. the wire you're referring to on the headlamp harness is a switched +12v and in fact what you needed was a constant +12v ie. pin 10 on the radio harness.  This is why you were losing memory when shutting bike off.  So you'd need to either find a wire in a harness in the fairing that is red/orange in color (those are constant +12v) or run a wire to the battery fused at max of 5a

crazy joe

The XM module must be like the radio then...
disconnect the battery and you lose memory.
The Roady II that I'm using now must have some
kind of capacitor to keep memory when battery
is disconnected, just changed battery last week.

FSG

QuoteGet yourself a couple scotchloks:

One of the worst wire destroying items ever invented, I'd sure not use one on a vibrating HD.

Coyote

Quote from: FSG on January 13, 2015, 05:15:54 PM
QuoteGet yourself a couple scotchloks:

One of the worst wire destroying items ever invented, I'd sure not use one on a vibrating HD.

And that's the truth.  :agree:

UltraNutZ

crazy joe

I have seen these used before and I plan on
splicing the wires without using scotchlocs.
I will cut wires needed and use butt connectors
with the sticky built in shrink tubing.
Guess I'll be sending radio out for the modification
so AVC works then buy speakers. 

UltraNutZ
Are these whats your talking about?
http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

UltraNutZ

Yes sir.  They work great and hold up well to the harsh environments these bikes are subjected to

crazy joe

January 13, 2015, 05:55:25 PM #33 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:26:30 AM by crazy joe
What size Positaps?   Sure as  %hit I'll order the wrong size : )

pp6000v2

Looks like no one came back around to your last question. The wires are 20ga. The EX-110M or EX-130RR taps would be the ones to look at (110 is probably the one you want)

crazy joe

pp6000v2  Thanks for the reply, no need to reply to this
question but curious whats the difference between
the two.

UltraNutZ

sorry been out of touch for few days with company function.

only difference in the 2 is the design of the tap itself.  They're both for 20-22ga wire both work equally well.