April 25, 2024, 02:34:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

H.D. enhanced sound system issue.

Started by jachd17, January 17, 2015, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jachd17

In 2005 I had the H.D. Enhance Sound System (rear speaker pods, 100W amp and 4 new speakers) installed in my 2004 FLHCTI. Worked great for a few years. Now when bike is not running sound is loud and distortion free. When bike is running SOMETIMES it breaks up so bad I have to shut it off, sometimes it is fine, most of the time it breaks up at low volume but clears as volume increases. 
I have checked and cleaned the grounds, checked connections and added dielectric grease. Getting progressively worse as time goes on. Any failure prone components with the H.D. system? I suspect amp issue, but unsure. Is there an aftermarket amp available that could utilize the existing amp harness? Stereo wiring is a HUGE weak point in my mechanical ability. What do you sound system guru's think... :idunno:

AAWAV

RAR... Rip and Replace... we will walk you through the wiring. It is not that hard... my 2 cents is the gear is 10 years old so I would expect issues. For around 300 to 400 bucks you got more and better sound...
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Little Mike

Well, probably not what you want to hear with wiring being a weak point but the since they are 10 years old it could be any one of the components in the system. If you think it's the amp you could take it out of the equation by connecting the speakers directly to the head unit. It obviously won't be as loud but you will be able to tell if it's still breaking up. If it stops you'll know it's the amp. If it doesn't stop, try to find some other speakers to hook up temporarily. If it still does it then you're probably looking at either a new head unit or sending yours off to Iron Cross Audio. If you don't have a service manual give me a holler. I have one for an 04 FLHTCI and I can look up in the wiring diagram which wires are which. 
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

jachd17

January 17, 2015, 08:52:46 PM #3 Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:56:46 PM by jachd17
Have the service manual. Not speakers for sure. Have swapped them out with no change. There are days when the thing is mint. No break up, no distortion. Killer part is when motor NOT running, no problem. And only some days it decides to act up. Thought about by-passing amp and running just the stock stereo to see if that changes things. BUT I didn't install it, so I don't know what to unplug.  The radio unit itself has not given me any issues that I am aware of. (unlike the H.K. system in my other ride) I thought about just buying another H.D. amp and just doing an amp swap, but its buy everything, pods, speakers and amp with harness, or nothing. Amp can not be purchased separately. the RAR way is a last resort. B.T.W. the head unit in this bike is NOT a Harman Kardon.

Gannicus

Quote from: AAWAV on January 17, 2015, 08:21:04 PM
RAR... Rip and Replace... we will walk you through the wiring. It is not that hard... my 2 cents is the gear is 10 years old so I would expect issues. For around 300 to 400 bucks you got more and better sound...

I agree with AAWAV. Time to upgrade your system. You will spend more money trying to fix your old system than by simply replacing the who thing.  End result. . .  You will still have an old system.  Rip and replace.

Little Mike

Quote from: jachd17 on January 17, 2015, 08:52:46 PM
Have the service manual. Not speakers for sure. Have swapped them out with no change. There are days when the thing is mint. No break up, no distortion. Killer part is when motor NOT running, no problem. And only some days it decides to act up. Thought about by-passing amp and running just the stock stereo to see if that changes things. BUT I didn't install it, so I don't know what to unplug.  The radio unit itself has not given me any issues that I am aware of. (unlike the H.K. system in my other ride) I thought about just buying another H.D. amp and just doing an amp swap, but its buy everything, pods, speakers and amp with harness, or nothing. Amp can not be purchased separately. the RAR way is a last resort. B.T.W. the head unit in this bike is NOT a Harman Kardon.

I fully understand not wanting to rip out the whole system but here is the reality of what you're possibly looking at. If you're positive it's not originating in the HU and you've tested the speakers then you're left with the amp. Now, the amp you have, if I remember correctly, is rated at 55w per channel and the speakers at 65w. Knowing Harley, remember they're a motorcycle manufacturer not an audio manufacturer, those are likely the max watts and inflated at that. So make sure you don't buy too large of an amp and make sure you know the impedance of the speakers and match that accordingly. Otherwise it'll blow the speakers and you'll be buying new speakers too.
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

UltraNutZ

I would lay odds based on your description that your issue is within the head unit itself but could also be the amp.  The problem is with those systems, they are one in the same.  That old amp is an MTX amp and it can certainly be wired to work with other head units utilizing high level inputs but in reality, it simply isn't worth the time or trouble to do so.  If this is the same style radio (i'm pretty sure it's not) as the 06-13 models have then Tony and his crew @ Iron Cross Audio might be able to help you determine for sure.  If it's the old style radio, then Radio Sounds would be the place to go for that unit.  Regardless, and based on your other post above in not wanting to replace the speakers, you have a couple of options;

• Pull the head unit and amp and replace both.  A nice aftermarket head unit and something along the lines of the Alpine KTP445U for an amp.  That's about all the amp you're going to be able to use with those speakers as just about anything else will toast those speakers in short fashion.  The speakers have very low power handling capabilities.
  • Pull the amp from under the tourpak (if that's where it's mounted) and get the actual part number off of it.  These things are a dime a dozen on fleabay.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

tdgriff

I have to agree with Nutz . I think its the hu myself . Time to up grade. Its really not that hard to do . I think we can all walk you threw it .

jachd17

O.K. gonna have to prioritize. Cam chest is first. The time has come to inspect/upgrade. Once that's out of the way I will move on to the tunes issue. Will be checking back for guidance soon. Thank you, all mighty tune guru's.