May 09, 2024, 03:21:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lift table

Started by 76shuvlinoff, November 08, 2008, 03:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

I am not picking nits, I think it's a cool as hell idea but when it's lowered is the bike vise handle too close to the floor to crank it?

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

02 Ultra

Love your project keep the pic's coming. :teeth:
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

Ken R

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 05, 2008, 03:44:07 AM

I am not picking nits, I think it's a cool as hell idea but when it's lowered is the bike vise handle too close to the floor to crank it?

Mark

I  noticed that, too (in the picture) but in real life it doesn't appear that it will extend lower than the table itself.

Nevertheless, I'm removing the wheel vise completely and will replace it with quick-connect chocks for when the table is needed to lift.  When not needed, the table will be flush with the floor with nothing sticking up. 

Ken

76shuvlinoff

ahhh it was my tunnel vision at work, looking at it now there's more room than I thought.   

The chock is a good idea. A buddy of mine set up a snowmobile trailer with those and some recessed tie down points. In the event he needs a trailer for his (or anyones') bike the chocks snap in and it's good to go.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ken R

December 06, 2008, 06:56:48 PM #79 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:41:32 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
I checked, the vice crank clears the floor by about 5". No problem there if I wish to reinstall it.  Right now though, it doesn't appear to be necessary at all. 

This'll be my last post about the floor lift project. 

Haven't drilled the recessed tie-down holes yet.  Haven't remotely-located the foot control, either.  Spent the day cleaning up, instead.  Washed the dust off the motorcycle and tested the lift several times.  Power-washed the driveway clean of all the white residue from saw-cutting.  Mopped the floor (several times).  Clean up took several hours for this project. 

I'm gonna call this a complete success, even though there are a couple of details left to do.  The major part is done and it can be parked on or used as I wish. 

The total cost of the project was:

Direct Lift table (discounted due to cosmetic damage) . . .$450.00 (purchased last year)
Walk-behind concrete saw and blade rental . . . . . . . . . . $ 122.00 at Home Depot  (four hour rental, took 3 hrs including travel time
Steel rebar and 15 bags of QuickCrete . . . . . . . . . . . . .  $  67.00

Labor (me, myself, and I) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Approximately 25 hours

I think it was well worth the $200 dollars and the labor required to do this.  I've reclaimed a good hunk of workshop and won't be tripping over the floor lift any more.  The lift is always there, ready to use.  Takes less than 5 minutes to raise and tie-down the motorcycle; so I'll use it more often.  (even for simple cleaning).

Speaking of cleaning, the motorcycle looks immaculate in person.  Only when I look at the flash photography do I see dust and dirt spots.  :dgust:  REALLY!

Hope my little project has fostered ideas and/or inspired someone to take similar projects to the next level.  I'm extremely happy with the final result.

a space between pix makes it easier on the eyes  :  fsg

04fatty

Nice job Ken. I've kicked this idea around a few times myself and may do it after we find a bigger house around here to move in to.   Steve in Wylie.

hot rod 98

I bought a lift last year after extensive research. The lift came from completehydraulics.com. The bike lift I ordered has removable sides that make it 48" wide for my atv's and lawn tractor maintenance or flip upside down as tool trays. The lift is a 1500lb lift with a tire vise, an awsome bike jack, a  drop out for rear tire removal, and an extension for the front to do longer bikes up to 105". The lift was 725. delivered to my door, great lift, great investment. The regular bike lift was about 125. cheaper than the wide one! Happy Lifting!

02 Ultra

Great job Ken thanks for all the pictures.  :teeth:
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

Billy

Nice job Ken. If you were to paint 7 white squares on the lift deck it would be almost invisible!! :up:
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

76shuvlinoff

QuoteIf you were to paint 7 white squares on the lift deck it would be almost invisible!!

That would be great!   
Nice Job, looks killer saves space ...I can't see a downside. 
 - Ernest Hemingway

Glenn W

Very very nice!!! if I can ever afford a Handy I will set it down flush like that. I hate going up/down the ramps, and that eliminates any need for side extensions. I never cared for the extensions anyway because they really need to be removed afterwards to sit close to the bike to work on it.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Sonny S.

Ken,
VERY nice job and pix as always !!    :up:
ONLY downside I see is loosing 7" of lift height. As it is I wish my lift would go higher than 33"

HDRDR

:up: Nice job, I like it :smile:

JamLazyAss

If you were to paint 7 white squares on the lift deck it would be almost invisible!!

Do it!!

What an absolute beautiful job! Congrat's  :up: :up: :up:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Ken R

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 07, 2008, 03:50:19 PM

Ken,
VERY nice job and pix as always !!    :up:
ONLY downside I see is loosing 7" of lift height. As it is I wish my lift would go higher than 33"

Sonny, it's so much better than squatting on the floor like I have been (while the lift was covered with other garage and shop stuff) that I'm fine with losing 7" of lift.  For a home hobbyist, it'll be o.k.  Also, if the windshield were only 4" taller, it would cram into the Fluorescent bulbs on the ceiling.   Prior to sinking it, I had to be careful or I'd get a glass shower. 

Ken

Tom

Great job sinking the lift.
I love peeking into others shops/garages, I thought I was goofy stuffing a Bridgeport in my garage, now I see I'm not alone.
:up: