May 03, 2024, 09:12:30 AM

News:

How to set-up vertical mill to mill heads ?

Started by Showdog75, November 08, 2008, 03:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Showdog75

Thanks guys , I'm ready to get some scrap and try my fly cutter !

Ultrashovel

All other advice is good. Make sure that you tram the mill if the head is moveable so that you are cutting parallel to the table.

The main issue is whether your mill is sifficiently rigid to do a job like that. You will also need some sort of jig to hold the head parallel to the table,

Happy Trails!

Admiral Akbar

Poorboy,

Looks like you've got a square post mill/drill. How do you like it? Max

Hybredhog

No offence, but your flycutter "boring bar" end is on the wimpy side, & that looks kind of scarey. This all looks like a hell of a lot of work, when a Trock plate, or even a face plate on a lathe is much more accurate, faster & more stable...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hillside Motorcycle

I WOULD NOT hang that brazed carbide tool (or high-speed tool steel) bit way the hell of that flycutter like that.
Opening the door for some issues with rigidity.(accuracy and surface finish)
Also that fixture is rather wimpy to load that cutter(once retracted to a sane length) with a .060 cut.
Bolt that directly to the table,or lock that in a good vise via a different fixture.

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

jsachs1

Ron,
Where's the big cutter you made with the 2 tool bits?Didn't that work for you?
John

POORBOY

November 13, 2008, 07:51:34 PM #32 Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:29:24 AM by POORBOY
Here it is John, I just threw the heads up on the table to take pic's, this better

http://www.box.net/shared/argmu21qrh#hd_parts_006

http://www.box.net/shared/j4n222lb6a#hd_parts_008
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

Billy

Quote from: jeffscycle on November 13, 2008, 03:09:40 PMa Trock plate, or even a face plate on a lathe is much more accurate, faster & more stable...Jeff

I agree 100% with you jeff + the ability to "spin drop" while facing in the lathe.

but the discussion is "How to set-up vertical mill to mill heads?"
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Don D

Showdog75

Billy your on the money . When I grow up I'm gonna get a lathe and learn to Tig weld .

Admiral Akbar

"When I grow up I'm gonna get a lathe and learn to Tig weld "

Aahhh, You need a TIG welder to weld and not a lathe...  :teeth:  Max

Showdog75

Thanks guys for all the good advice . Now I gotta save more money for more tooling . It's almost like a disease .

PanHeadRed

Stay away from the "Quality Import" you'r not saving a dime.

1st word in cutting tools is Kennametal.