April 24, 2024, 07:14:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Camtech Custom Beaten Inner Fairing Batwing

Started by UltraNutZ, September 16, 2014, 07:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltraNutZ

Been contemplating this for some time and have just about convinced myself to pull the trigger. I have a few concerns that haven't been answered by Camtech themselves so figured I'd ask you guys.

• Bike gets ridden 15k+/year and never sees a trailer. It's not custom by any means, just perfecting it for me.

• anyone use this product? pros and cons would be appreciated.

• fitment issues? does this thing seal up properly to a batwing outer shell? Last thing I want is going this route and spending all the $ required to do this only to have water run down inside of it because it doesn't fit/seal properly ruining everything.

• any issues?

• any pics by chance?

Thanks,
UN
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Snuff™

Todd,  I think this is what your asking about, right?
Haven't heard of them.  Just wanted to have the link for others.

http://www.camtechcustom.com/bagger_parts/body_work_and_fenders/fairings_inner_outer/beaten_inner_fairing1.html

Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

UltraNutZ

oh I've seen them.. just can't seem to get the folks at Camtech to answer my damn questions.  I initially sent an email with 8 questions.  the first email I got back literally answered 1 of those questions.  A subsequent email followed to them saying "wtf. what about the other questions and my name isn't Tim, it's Todd"  lol
2nd reply comes back with installation instructions that consist of 1 page of what you should and shouldn't do, then a 2nd page of chop the stock fairing bracket here and put 3 rivets in it.  LAME to say the least
another email went back asking for answers to my other questions.  still no response.

Maybe I should take that as an omen to walk away...

Snuff™

Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

x52gnr

2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

koko3052

HighLiner

No speaking from experience but I hear camtech parts are not a bolt on deal. 

UltraManPaul

"Maybe I should take that as an omen to walk away... "

With this much trouble through email, have you tried calling and speaking to someone directly? If you're that set on using their product, it would probably be a good idea to try and speak to them directly. Heck, if I were you I'd try calling them just to see if they'd be available if I had any technical issues. Ask them those questions and see if you get a sense of whether or not they sound knowledgeable with the answers.... If not, find another manufacturer.

UMP
2015 FLHTK, SE Agitator AF, SE Slip-ons, Chrome front end.

UltraNutZ

thanks UMP.  I did exactly that and the responses I got were just about as detailed as my email requests.  I've written them off.  Camtech appears (at least to me) to be one of these companies that want to sell you something and then it's your problem kinda thing.  Maybe their products are 2nd to none, maybe they're just crap I don't know and can't honestly say either way, but I just don't get the warm and fuzzy from them I need to make a $900 purchase from a company I know nothing about so for that kind of $ for an unfinished product, I'll pass.  Maybe this is pretty much the same all over for custom-made bike parts likes this I don't know. 

Badgerbob

UltraNutz I'm involved with another forum which deals with all these aftermarket parts and yes all of the aftermarket stuff needs to be massaged. There is nothing that is just bolt on.
In regards to Camtech I've heard nothing but good things about their product, BigZed is on the forum as well. I realize it's not for everyone, but I'm building a 26" big wheel Bagger myself all done me in my garage I'm not using any of their product.
Just wanted to mention that their product is decent from what I've read.

Leed

I just saw your add in the classifieds.  I guess Camtech finally got back to you?  The inner fairing looks slick.  You'll have to let us know how it works out and post some pictures.

UltraNutZ

the only thing that's changed is no camtech.. going with the 1-off customs inner which is basically the same thing.  Least I can get these guys to answer my questions...

Badgerbob

biggzed

Heard good things about the 1-off stuff as well as Camtech. Like Badger said, this stuff is not bolt on. The deeper you get the more tweaking and massaging you'll find yourself doing. Post some pics when you get going, I'm sure it will come out good. Just be patient.

Zach

HD/Wrench

I have talked with the guys from camtech a few times.  Installed there product first hand.  AS well countless others. Being that I prime and prep every part before it gets painted or goes to paint. Upol filler primer is your friend and be ready to skim coat a larger % of the part. Sand it down, fill pin holes with glaze re prep sand and then paint. One up side is the auto paint booth we now have in house as well. Keeps the mess in one area and no body dust in my shop.

rule 1    Nothing is really every paint ready
rule 2.   Everything will need to be fitted.

Any questions see rule 1&2.

In the end I have found that one place has a killer inner the next the outer and tank extensions,.. and side covers well this other place, chin spoiler only one place has a decent one.. HA HA

biggzed

All very true.

Zach

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on September 19, 2014, 01:43:20 PM
I have talked with the guys from camtech a few times.  Installed there product first hand.  AS well countless others. Being that I prime and prep every part before it gets painted or goes to paint. Upol filler primer is your friend and be ready to skim coat a larger % of the part. Sand it down, fill pin holes with glaze re prep sand and then paint. One up side is the auto paint booth we now have in house as well. Keeps the mess in one area and no body dust in my shop.

rule 1    Nothing is really every paint ready
rule 2.   Everything will need to be fitted.

Any questions see rule 1&2.

In the end I have found that one place has a killer inner the next the outer and tank extensions,.. and side covers well this other place, chin spoiler only one place has a decent one.. HA HA