April 27, 2024, 03:43:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2002 EG Audio Upgrade

Started by vafatboy1, February 06, 2015, 06:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vafatboy1

Current setup.  2002 stock HU.  BT444 Amp and BT471 Speakers.  I thought it would be enough when riding 2 up for my wife to hear.  In most situations she can, but at highway speeds it's marginal.  So I'm going to add rear speaker pods and upgrade the HU.

Looking for suggestions that don't break the bank.  I really wish I would have bought the 4 channel amp, but that ship has sailed.  I was leaning towards driving the rear speakers from the HU and the front from the amp I have.

Whatever head unit I use I would prefer to keep handle bar controls via a BT1005x. 

I've looked around and it looks like most HU that would fit this plan have 25w x 4 max.......sound about right?

Thanks

UltraNutZ

you're not going to get good results by driving rear speakers off the stock or aftermarket head units.

Your best bet is to replace the BT444 amp with a good 4 channel amp.  If you're not looking to break the bank or the sound barrier, then I would suggest the head unit of your choice (all about preference).

Head unit
Alpine KTP445U amp  (this is a solid 4 channel amp that will put out plenty of power to drive those current speakers and a good pair of 5.25" pod speakers.
rear speakers.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

vafatboy1

UN

I could sell the BT444 and put that towards another amp.....what would other amps with a bit more power?  And thank you.

UltraNutZ

the bt444 2 channel amp is only stable to 4 ohms so paralleling speakers isn't really an option for you so yes sir I would suggest changing it out to a 4 channel amp.

vafatboy1

I went with a Sony HU and the BT2180.  Will give the 2 channel setup a shot, when two up if it's an issue I will add two to the rear in parallel.   

vafatboy1

Installed the HU and BT2180.  Sounds awesome. 

I do get a significant pop out of the speakers when I hit the starter button.   Happens both with the HU on or off.  Is this anything to be concerned about?

UltraNutZ

vafatboy1

Ground screw on triple tree.  Per BT2180.

UltraNutZ

March 04, 2015, 06:56:20 AM #8 Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:25:57 AM by UltraNutZ
temp run your ground back to the battery to see if it stops.  2005 and prior are known to have issues with ground points up front not being adequate.

vafatboy1

vafatboy1

Extended ground to battery with 10 gauge.  Still pops once when stater is engaged. HU blanks out when started, but comes back on in same mode when started.  No pop when HU is turned off.  HU is grounded via retro module. Going to add additional ground to HU.

UltraNutZ

Check that your ground cable from battery to frame is solid and corrosion free

vafatboy1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 05, 2015, 05:59:49 AM
Check that your ground cable from battery to frame is solid and corrosion free

That should be good.  Installed new VR not long ago, but will check.  Added ground to HU no change.

vafatboy1

Battery ground cable tight at battery.  No corrosion and tight at ground to frame.

UltraNutZ

so what all did you wind up putting in vafatboy1?

vafatboy1

BT2180
Sony MEX-M70BT
Retro Radio kit
Already had Titan II speakers in fairing. Will add rears in parallel when I find some pods at a deal. 

UltraNutZ

ok so RCAs directly out to the amp then.  that's what I was looking for.

For grins, unplug the RCA inputs to the amp and see if the start button causes the same pop issue.  If it does, then you might want to look at something like the PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolator.

vafatboy1

Thanks UN. I put the fairing back on.  I keep the bike at the shop where I work.  Generally not a good idea to leave parts laying about. Given the price of the filter I will pick one up and install it when I take the fairing off again. 

UltraNutZ

most any reputable local car audio shop will have it as well or one similar.

vafatboy1

UltraNutZ

good quality.. should do the trick for you.

vafatboy1

Still pops when RCA's unplugged from amp. Installed isolator, pop is still there on start, but greatly reduced. For scale, before isolator 10, after 5.

UltraNutZ

maybe a ground wire from the chassis of the amp to the chassis of the radio.

vafatboy1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 06, 2015, 05:06:30 AM
maybe a ground wire from the chassis of the amp to the chassis of the radio.

Will give it a try.

Thanks.

vafatboy1

No joy.  Spoke with BT tech support.  They get this call every once in a while. They've tried to recreate on the bench.  Suggested I try changing the relays.   I'll get around to it.  For now I'll start with HU off.

vafatboy1

After some fine tuning of equalizer etc.....my wife was able to identify artist and track while following me in the truck with windows up down I-95 at 65 mph.