March 28, 2024, 06:12:37 AM

News:

Track Bike

Started by djl, February 12, 2015, 11:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

A couple of my friends started running track days at a local track a few months back; both long time Harley riders and wrenches and both are riding much better and one has turned into a full "knee dragger".  One rides a 600cc Honda and the other the Yamaha counterpart.  The bikes have been transformed into full track bikes and are trailered to the track.  They are talking me into joining them and improving my riding skills.  I am thinking a Buell might make a good track bike.  What say the Buell crowd? Agree or disagree? If agree, which model and year and what modifications might be required to convert to full track mode?

twincam8888

The torque of the Buell would really be fun around a track but having owned both types the 600 jap sport bikes will be faster and I wonder how well the Buell engine would hold up to continuous near max rpm running.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Paniolo

The 600cc Japanese sport bikes are designed specifically for track days. While their may be other categories, like 1,000cc super bike and all that, the 600cc class is the preferred one. It has the ideal power to weight ratio and lean angle for the curves, straightaways, and "S" turns. It's a high revving course.

Having said all that, I think a Buell would be fine.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

djl

Thanks guys.  I can go either way Buell or Jap.  I doubt that either will see max rpms for six months as I learn how to get around the track faster.  I also want the bike that will be the cheapest to modify from stock to track trim.  I have seen some Jap bikes, track prepped going for about $4K; have not looked for Buells yet.

garyajaz

as much as I like my xb9s
for track day,
crashing, getting cheap parts, learning curve, sharing info,
ect

yeah, go with one of the import 600's

04 SE Deuce

Don,  I know you don't like "sport bike" riding position.  Suzuki SV650's have been a popular track bike and the non-S model has standard bars mounted to the top tree.  Won't be as fast as a 600 4cyl. sport bike but would be good to hone skills on and being a twin it's not light years different than what is in your garage.  Also can be found cheap.

Sometimes its nice to have a bike that you can ride close to its limit and develop your skills to get more versus hanging on to something that is faster than you'll likely ever be.

Having said all that a 600 sport bike is the weapon of choice for track day enthusiasts.  Lots of options.  -Rick