March 28, 2024, 04:52:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Show Those Evo's

Started by Rodney_C, March 21, 2009, 03:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

All three are nice! I liked the '98 anniversary color scheme when it came out, still think it's a classic look.
Love the shovel, sorry to hear of it's demise, hope you weren't hurt.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

I have a pair of 98's (the Road King Classic and Ultra in my avatar).  Last year of the evo in touring bikes. The anniversary paint is a one year only and it was restricted to the numbered bikes of each model.  Approximately 3,000 of each were sold. The sidecars were even rarer.  I could never figure out why the more significant 100th Anniversary bikes weren't numbered with a dedicated color.   :scratch:
KD

PJultra

Quote from: Hossamania on September 28, 2020, 07:31:43 PM
All three are nice! I liked the '98 anniversary color scheme when it came out, still think it's a classic look.
Love the shovel, sorry to hear of it's demise, hope you weren't hurt.

Not too bad. Broken big toe and hairline knee fracture. And a little flesh left in the asphalt from my right arm. I've been through worse.
Back in the 80's I had a stretched frame long girder sportster that I got Tboned on. A lot of bed time using a bed pan. Eventually in a wheel chair for a while. All good now.
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

SixShooter14

aww, that is a beautiful Shovel  :sad:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

PJultra

98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

nbr

January 10, 2021, 08:14:58 AM #180 Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:33:04 AM by nbr
My 1984 Evo Softail, this winter the bikes getting conversion rails, hard bags, a few other odds & ends. motor work so far includes: cv carb, screaming Eagle exhaust, reworked heads, Dyna Ignition, .030 jugs, haven't put in the EV27 cam yet. What do you think is the best & least expensive way to pull more ci out of the engine yet retain streetability & reliability? She still has a 4 speed & kicker

thumper 823

Its dam hard to bolt-on power.
Tell us how much you want to spend and we can get you pointed in the right direction to empty your checkbook.
it is that simple!.
The other point is we all have opinions on our experiences.
I always say it is EZ to bolt-on cubes, the "art" is getting the 1.30 out of what you have.
Most anyone low brow droid  get 1.25
80 x1.30 = 104  TQ / Hp
With the right cam turning on early,  not late, the little 80 is a force to be reconded with even by today's much larger
bolt on cubes.

D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Molly

Here's a '97 Heritage I bought recently. Been working my way through it just for my own peace of mind.

[attach=0]

nbr

I actually did find a company that offered a piston/jug kit reasonably priced that bolt on your 80 inch would take it to 93.4 in. Pistons were etched for the valves & everything.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Molly on January 25, 2021, 12:51:03 AM
Here's a '97 Heritage I bought recently. Been working my way through it just for my own peace of mind.

[attach=0,msg1375838]
:up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

thumper 823

I am a huge proponent of Axtell which makes a nodular drop-in cylinder. (10.5 pistons, rings, and all)
It becomes supposed 83 inch, no big deal there but the nuances of the cylinder shuffle stops there.
No more leaks. 
With a DM or equivalent cam,  mild head clean up you will be over 80 HP EZ,  with the Torq out of the basement.

nbr

thumper 823

Talk to Ron @Axtell (owner)   He is a smart guy.
He will reconfigure your combustion chamber into a usable modern design with his angle tops pistons .
  Pay attn to his details and get the squish correct.
My engine is .026 squish.
next-
I can not emphasize enough about rings and instalation.
I emphasize installation.
Caveman out there using their fingers.......
There are still people honing cylinders like the model "T" was done !     
OMG !
Anymore it has come to the fore and fact a surface tester is REQUIRED for a proper hone job.
People are Not cleaning up cylinders B4 installation!...... etc etc etc
If you want performance pay att to the details.
I have just started with the list that most people will have quit and ended with  in the first line.(squish)
Coatings are cheap now, do it.
Ring drag or lack of is free power.
Your goal should be a minimum of 1.25 per cube . (in my opinion )
Anyone can bolt on larger jugs and claim more power....they truly have not mastered the art.
Always cheat and look at how the big guys do it.
Porsche was air-cooled forever and extracted over 600HP out of a little 6 cylinder 200 cubic inches.

Harley and most of its cadre have never paid much attn to the details.
My rant is over but i truly know you don't need 110 inches to beat them with the little Evil Evo.

SixShooter14

Figured I'd try out some new saddlebags via Ebay.  :soda:

SixShooter14

SixShooter14

$250 and they came assembled with the 'new' 14+ latches  :baby:

Hossamania

That is a great price, and they look good too. Congrats on finding those.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on January 28, 2021, 04:46:32 AM
That is a great price, and they look good too. Congrats on finding those.
Thanks, seems to be pretty mixed on the quality of these generic crap bags. But I figured $250 for the extended look and 14+ latches was worth the risk, and prepainted. Took a bit of work as my '97 does NOT have the same brackets as the newer bikes, but a small modification and some spacers is all it took.... Pretty sure I lost some lean angle though, gonna have to look at some skid plates.

I put about 40 miles on them last weekend between the snows. Supposed to be mid-40s here this weekend, if the pass is open I'm gonna put on a hundred or so and see how they hold up.

Finn

Taking bike back home from winter service in a crisp -11 C weather.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Hossamania

SixShooter14

looks to me like you could have rode it home...  :wink:  :crash:

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

SixShooter14

Went for a little ride today (only a few miles) then gave her a bath... Hopefully she'll get dirty again tomorrow  :bike:

Reddog74usa

Just picked up this 98 FXSTC. 2 nd owner with 8K miles runs n rides like new. Very smooth for a solid mount engine.

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200