May 09, 2024, 07:26:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Yuasa Battery

Started by Coolage, February 17, 2015, 06:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coolage

Went to a bike shop today looking for a battery for a Heritage Softail.  They said that Yuasa makes Harley batteries.  Does anyone know if that is true?  About half price of the Harley OEM battery.

Wicked

no - Yuasa does not make HD batteries. However, the high end Yuasa's are a great battery for HD's at a lot less $$$....

Paul

JC 92FXRS

I use Yuasa batteries (ATV) in my FXR, always get at least five years out of them. 70 bucks Can after the core charge.
Can't go wrong. Maintenance is key here, pull it every season top it up with de-ionized water and charge for 15 min (I use the full 10A charger) then hit it for 5 min once a month. Good all riding season for me.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Panzer

Truck did work for Dekka and said that their batteries have design changes.
A few members here said they ain't worth  :turd: anymore.
Getting a year and a half on their batteries and they take a  :turd:

Try:  www.batterymart.com.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Panzer on February 17, 2015, 07:39:31 PM
Truck did work for Dekka and said that their batteries have design changes.
A few members here said they ain't worth  :turd: anymore.
Getting a year and a half on their batteries and they take a  :turd:

Try:  www.batterymart.com.

AFAIK.. Around 2010-2012 Deka had process problems.. If you talk to the HD shops, they saw a dip in battery life.. Not sure why this still comes up as the marginal life batteries should be out of the system by now.

JC 92FXRS

All is not lost...buy a battery and throw in the bike.
low tech "Potty mouth".    :wink:
Jeff

calif phil

Yuasa now has a premium battery that has more cranking amps and a better terminal design.   They private label them for Drag and others.   Since I have been seeing the DEKA's not last as long as they used to I am going to start trying the premium Yuasa batteries. 

UltraNutZ

Quote from: JC 92FXRS on February 17, 2015, 09:09:18 PM
All is not lost...buy a battery and throw in the bike.
low tech "Potty mouth".    :wink:
Jeff

yeah but is it black?  you know it's going to be faster.   :hyst:

calif phil

GYZ is what Yuasa calls them.   The dresser battery is 500 CCA

texaskatfish

I just peeked on Revzilla's site - it appears the GYZ Yuasa for an FLHR is pricier than what HD offers dangit

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yuasa-gyz32hl-factory-activated-agm-high-performance-battery
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

autoworker

I have a Yuasa agm battery in my atv.It is now going bad.I installed it in 2001.
I guess it did okay? :nix:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

calif phil

Quote from: texaskatfish on February 18, 2015, 07:44:57 AM

I just peeked on Revzilla's site - it appears the GYZ Yuasa for an FLHR is pricier than what HD offers dangit

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yuasa-gyz32hl-factory-activated-agm-high-performance-battery

I know where you can get them cheaper.   :smiled:

Ed Y

I believe that any AGM battery you installed would work good. I suspect there are only 2-3 companies that make batteries and they are labelled for many other companies.

JohnCA58

Quote from: calif phil on February 18, 2015, 08:10:41 AM

I know where you can get them cheaper.   :smiled:

:hyst:   I have been using one for about a year now in the 120 bike, 500 cca and is a great battery, my last Deka lasted 2 years.
YOLO

tomcat64

the Dekka problems seem to be behind us the last couple of years,,, altho,, my new 2014 streetglide's battery crapped out last fall.. that is simply and example of my luck!!!

68bagger

I have heard that Yuasa batteries are made in the United States. Is this correct?

92flhtcu

Yes, they are manufactured in PA.........also home of Deka.......I have had excellent results with the GYZ since they were introduced
under the Biker's Choice brand Twin Power, the "Premium" line up is the same as the GYZ, they mfg for us as well as others
Need a bigger garage

Roadie13

Been using the Yuasa batteries in jet ski and ATV for years - great battery, never had a problem with them in either application. Will put one in bike when the stocker craps out.
2013 RGC, candy orange.  Dragos 2:1, zippers A/C, TTS mastertune, '14 Tour Pak

Atrick

Got 07 wide glide with 32000 miles on it and still has original battery in it, but don't think it will go another year so can't say nothing bad about stock batteries.   Rick

UltraNutZ

February 20, 2015, 08:54:20 AM #20 Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:57:14 AM by UltraNutZ
Ordered mine from Phil on Wednesday afternoon.  Got home yesterday mid-afternoon and it was sitting on the door step.  Good price and super-fast shipping.  A+ once again for Phil.   :up:

Inside the lid of the box is a sticker that states when it was tested, what voltage was tested, and by whom it was tested.  2/18 tested, 12.49v tested, by whom i can't remember.  Also states to charge within 90 days.  I put my tender on it and literally within about 10 minutes the light was green.

I also like the (not sure if they're for your fingers or vents) 4 holes on top of the battery.  makes for easy drop in and take out of the battery compartment.  A little heavier than my big-crank battery that has only lasted about 18 months.

The main reason I bought the battery is because I was thinking back to the little battery operated barbie and jeep cars that my kids had and rode the piss out of.  Those fricking Yuasa batteries lasted forever!

fbn ent

Quote from: Atrick on February 18, 2015, 04:43:34 PM
Got 07 wide glide with 32000 miles on it and still has original battery in it, but don't think it will go another year so can't say nothing bad about stock batteries.   Rick

Probably should replace it. When the battery fails you are where you are. Broken down. Ask me how I know :dgust:.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

UltraNutZ

At least in the present time, you can still push-start the darn thing.  I suspect within a few years these HDs with all the electronics on them now will be like some of the vehicles now-a-days that will not run without a proper battery connected.

UltraNutZ

Phil's is a helluva lot cheaper than that. 

88b

So,ex reason Yuasa are more expensive than HD here, but Yuasa are very good.

Hossamania

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 20, 2015, 09:02:50 AM
At least in the present time, you can still push-start the darn thing.  I suspect within a few years these HDs with all the electronics on them now will be like some of the vehicles now-a-days that will not run without a proper battery connected.

I didn't think you could push start a modern Harley with a dead battery.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

calif phil

That is correct.   

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: calif phil on February 20, 2015, 01:17:34 PM

That is correct.

I was out on the road stopping for gas and when it came time to leave my battery would not turn over the engine.  Maybe the battery wasn't completely dead, but I ended up having some guys push me and it started up.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

UltraNutZ

when I say modern day, I'm only up to 2012 myself.  :smiled:

I push started a 2012 road king a few weeks ago.. but as stated.. not enough juice to start the bike but maybe just enough for the electronics?   :idunno:

fbn ent

Then maybe but when your bike goes down because of the battery you are fkd.

JohnCA58

Quote from: calif phil on February 20, 2015, 01:17:34 PM

That is correct.

I have push started mine at 9.8 volts battery,  I think the ecm needs 9.6
YOLO

calif phil

You got lucky that day. 

JC 92FXRS

my 92 will push start fine...oh, wait... that's not modern, 23 years old.. :embarrassed:  :teeth:
Jeff

JohnCA58

Quote from: calif phil on February 20, 2015, 05:07:43 PM
You got lucky that day.

Phil,  I did get lucky that day and a long downhill to help.   :bike:
YOLO

JohnK

February 21, 2015, 02:08:18 AM #35 Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:10:30 AM by JohnK
Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 20, 2015, 09:02:50 AM

I can push start my carbed 2000 Dyna... well, in theory anyway.

Not so sure about the EFI bikes, how you gonna get fuel pressure without the fuel pump running?

EDIT: nevermind... missed the last page :doh:

wholehog

if the battery is dead you might be pushing the bike but it aint gonna start......

DTTJGlide

It's a crap shoot push starting any late model HD, that's as good a way as any to get the crank to shift, guess  it depends on how bad a neighborhood I was in whether I would try it.

glens

How is it any different re the crank than thumbing the start button?

clawdog60

Quote from: autoworker on February 18, 2015, 08:08:24 AM
I have a Yuasa agm battery in my atv.It is now going bad.I installed it in 2001.
What? 14 years on a battery?

autoworker

Quote from: clawdog60 on February 23, 2015, 01:28:27 PM
Quote from: autoworker on February 18, 2015, 08:08:24 AM
What? 14 years on a battery?

It was installed during the warmer months in 2001.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.