April 25, 2024, 05:29:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Neutral Safety Switch on Ironhead SPORTSTER?

Started by DJ Baar, February 18, 2015, 12:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Baar

Please help resolve a debate, does a 1980 Ironhead SPORTSTER (or any Ironheads for that matter before "EVOs" in 1986), ever have a Neutral Safety Switch/Indicator and if so where is it located?   :potstir:
* Bring on the Ol'Skool Hot Rod Harleys!

Wicked

Definitely no safety switch, and I'm 9 parts sure there was no indicator till '86.

Paul

FSG

garyajaz

my 1974 XLCH came with a neutral light.
I just went out to double check
where the neutral and gen light were I now have toggles to do other stuff.
lol.
but I have the original factory 1974 manual in hand.
page 166 section 5 shows and talks of the neutral light switch.

DJ Baar

The odd thing is can't seam to find the switch on the Ironhead engine/transmission or in schematics until 1986 EVO transition?   :scratch:  Trying to help a Friend wire a custom 1980 Ironhead and Owner swears bike had a neutral safety switch/indicator, but we cannot find on bike or reference.   :nix:  I have rebuilt and customized a 1974 and 76 Ironhead and don't remember that on those.   :banghead:

Baar

fbn ent

For sure it wouldn't have a neutral safety switch....maybe a light.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

DJ Baar

I understand that it may be only an indicator, but anyone know where the neutral safety switch would be located for this light to be wired to? 

garyajaz

transmission case. if I recall it works off the shifter drum detent.

DJ Baar

That makes sense, but cannot find it.  Top, bottom, where?   Anyone have a picture?  Sorry for my confusion, I do not recall on '74 or '76 Ironheads I had, and totally rebuilt those engine/transmissions.  On my '74 Shovelhead, yes.  :nix:

Wicked

Quote from: garyajaz on February 18, 2015, 05:20:02 PM
my 1974 XLCH came with a neutral light.
I just went out to double check
where the neutral and gen light were I now have toggles to do other stuff.
lol.
but I have the original factory 1974 manual in hand.
page 166 section 5 shows and talks of the neutral light switch.
Don't know, Gary....    just looked at a '74, '76, and '79 right case half and they have no provision for a switch as used on the EVO bikes.  Don't know what model they were, and can't remember any 'till '86...   :nix:

Paul

14Frisco

Quote from: DJ Baar on February 19, 2015, 06:58:17 AM
I understand that it may be only an indicator, but anyone know where the neutral safety switch would be located for this light to be wired to?

I don't know about an indicator light, but from a XL 1970-1978 SM:
A solenoid relay provides battery current directly to the motor.  The solenoid is controlled by a switch on the handlebar. On some models control circuit has a cut-out switch in the transmission cover.  Switch plunger contacts a nub on the shifter cam only when transmission is in neutral to complete the starting circuit.

nibroc

Quote from: 14Frisco on February 19, 2015, 09:15:40 AM
Quote from: DJ Baar on February 19, 2015, 06:58:17 AM

A solenoid relay provides battery current directly to the motor.  The solenoid is controlled by a switch on the handlebar. On some models control circuit has a cut-out switch in the transmission cover.  Switch plunger contacts a nub on the shifter cam only when transmission is in neutral to complete the starting circuit.

sounds like an automatic Suzuki to me

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Wicked

Quote from: 14Frisco on February 19, 2015, 09:15:40 AM

Ok. Great! I like to learn!! Where exactly is this switch located?

Paul

DJ Baar

Yes as Paul said, where is this switch located?  That is where this question all started.   :banghead:

Racepres

I have a Bone Stock '75, and a Bone Stock '77 here...No neutral Switch.
Shovel...yes, Sportster???   No.

dr evo1

OK GUYS. the switch is behind the sprocket cover on the right side. just in front of the trans sprocket. it is for a light only. they never had a safety switch. you can google 74 sporty neutral lite switch and it will show a picture. hope this helps all you guys that can't remember that far back. I had to go out and look at my old cases to make sure. looked on google for the picture. hope this helps........

Maddog

73 XLCH  oil an gen lights  nothing more :scoot:

garyajaz

maddog?
no little lights in gauges?
no high  beam nothing??

Maddog

all mine ever had in the eye brow was the gen an oil lights  It did have the stock speedo an tach set up,, with no lights?? Just the trip reset knob

JW113

I have a '78 and '80, neither have a neutral switch or light. I'm wondering if this might have been an euro/international thing?

BTW, I did google for ironhead neutral switch, all the images I saw were evo sportsters like the one attached. The cases on my bikes do not have the boss or hole in them like this one does.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber