April 17, 2024, 10:28:27 PM

News:

Starter shaft whole or half?

Started by 73ironhead, February 24, 2015, 06:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ironhead

So, completed the frame-off in five months and took her home to free shop space and after three rides the battery is losing juice and starter will not start the bike. Now, I noticed the starter shaft on the part catalog (oem 31483-67) goes from bearing(starter housing) to bearing(primary cover): the one I have is two parts; one that holds starter drive and another part that goes into the primary cover. This is a '73 XLH and I wonder if that is a normal modification and if having the starter shaft in one piece only is better.  :scratch:

garyajaz

sportsters have electric starters??

sign me up!

lol  sorry, not a clue here. 

drop some pix on us

73ironhead

I know, I'm an old man..it's a miracle my finger finds the button; I'll open the primary and starter side this week-end and send photos..thanks..L.

garyajaz

naw, pix of the bike.  can look in manual for your shaft....lol

73ironhead

salty I remember you nailing a few out for me; any idea on what I am talking about? gary dear you can sit this one out..

Wicked

Should be a 1 piece. Break where it is prolly had enuf support to spin, but should have been noisy....

Paul

73ironhead

thanks Paul.. just checked the other end and the crack is so even that's hard to detect; but yea it's broken in two..ordering a new one..cheers L.

garyajaz

yes, having the starter shaft in one piece is better.

(ducks)
:nix: