May 08, 2024, 01:02:57 AM

News:

Tune or not

Started by frankiej2077, March 15, 2015, 12:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankiej2077

I've installed 3 inch Cobra slip on's with the race pro ends and also a Hyper Pro
Kuryuacan air cleaner on my 2014 Harley Sportster Superlow XL1200T. My question
Is, is it recommended that I tune it? Or can I just run it as is? What are the advantages
or disadvantages of tuning or not?

rbabos

Quote from: frankiej2077 on March 15, 2015, 12:21:37 PM
      I've installed 3 inch Cobra slip on's with the race pro ends and also a Hyper Pro
Is, is it recommended that I tune it? Or can I just run it as is? What are the advantages
Don't see any disadvantages to tuning it.
Ron

whittlebeast

The dealers want to just toss a canned tune in, do one pull on the dyno to give you a dynosheet and cash your check.  Stick with TTS or Power Vision.  I personally like Jamie at FuelMotoUsa.com with Power Vision. There is a very short list of people I would personally trust with my bike.

Andy
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

joe_lyons

Quote from: whittlebeast on March 15, 2015, 01:58:09 PM
The dealers want to just toss a canned tune in, do one pull on the dyno to give you a dynosheet and cash your check.  Stick with TTS or Power Vision.  I personally like Jamie at FuelMotoUsa.com with Power Vision. There is a very short list of people I would personally trust with my bike.

Andy
Not every dealer Andy,  the last digital tech download was at absolute customer request. 

The main question is How do feel the bike runs?  Popping on decell, low speed jerkiness, running warm at idle.  Sportsters love a bit more timing at idle.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

whittlebeast

Joe, you are on my short list.   ;D
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

joe_lyons

Good short list or bad one;)

FLTRI

Quote from: frankiej2077 on March 15, 2015, 12:21:37 PM
The calibrations from the factory are unfortunately terrible and have given the Sportster a bad rep for it's herky jerky behavior, especially down in the sub-2500 RPM range.
That said, thanks to some calibrations available that help, they run a little smoother but nowhere near the smoothness of the big twin.
Spend some time working with timing after you get the fueling stabilized. Then determine when and where the exhaust system allows for quality O2 sensor sampling.
Everywhere else is left in open loop with accurately calibrated VEs.
The result is a huge improvement in lower rpm rideablility along with good linear accelleration throughout the entire rpm range.
There has been way less time improving on the Sportster calibrations than Big Twins for sure.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

frankiej2077

Popping on decel not to bad though, and it is a bit jerky at low rpm's. Will tuning it improve this? Or would installing a fuel tuner be better than dealer tune.

joe_lyons

It all depends on who does it and their capabilities.