May 09, 2024, 01:24:20 PM

News:

Bad batch of oil? UPDATE

Started by Just Nick, March 29, 2015, 10:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harley_cruiser

Nick have you put it any other customers bikes?

No Cents

I don't think it would be the filters if both bikes have normal oil pressures.
I'm leaning more toward the oil was not blended properly with the correct additives from the factory.
Having the oil sent out to be tested is the correct answer here. If Amsoil did sell a batch of oil that is bad and not up to spec...I think they should be held accountable to any engine damage done. Just my opinion.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Just Nick

Quote from: harley_cruiser on March 29, 2015, 06:15:49 PM
Nick have you put it any other customers bikes?

Yes I have and I will be calling them all when I get back in town tomorrow so I can change there oil for my peace of mind
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Rags722

I would be more willing to bet the oil is fine, but MISLABELED.  Can't help but wonder if it is something like gear oil that got motor oil labels at the plant and was shipped as motor oil because the USP code said motor oil.  Just a wild crazy guess. but I can see how a new hire may have put the wrong labels in the machine and everything went to crap from that point on.  For sure I'd be on the phone with AMSOIL right away to let them know what you saw in case they have a solution for you.

WI Bob

Nick,
Be sure to send in a sample of the new oil to Blackstone and Amsoil. That could be interesting.
I recall something about this a couple years ago on another site. Searching.
Bob
Just here for the women.

metaliser

If it is a bad batch of oil do you think there was any engine damage ? If the viscosity was that low that the heat built up that quick then looks like metal to metal may have occurred. I hope not for all sake's but just seems possible that temp rise that quick could of  had adverse affects.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: 1FSTRK on March 29, 2015, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: dr. evil on March 29, 2015, 12:11:44 PM
How come I just don't think the oil is the culprit? Any consideration to the oil temperature gauge being at fault?

So you think two oil gauges on two bikes went bad the same time after both bikes were switched to the same oil?

exactly my thoughts
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

rbabos

March 30, 2015, 06:00:58 AM #32 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:06:17 AM by rbabos
Wonder what the head temp was to produce that temp, 500+
Contacting other owners using the same batch would be a good start. If they are having no issues, then the plot thickens.
Ron

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: metaliser on March 30, 2015, 03:18:47 AM
If it is a bad batch of oil do you think there was any engine damage ? If the viscosity was that low that the heat built up that quick then looks like metal to metal may have occurred. I hope not for all sake's but just seems possible that temp rise that quick could of  had adverse affects.

Would it be metal to metal or could it possibly be that the antifoaming additive is missing and the motors are sumping because the oil is foaming up?   Might be able to observe foamy oil on the dip stick..

rich1

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 30, 2015, 07:21:56 AM

Would it be metal to metal or could it possibly be that the antifoaming additive is missing and the motors are sumping because the oil is foaming up?   Might be able to observe foamy oil on the dip stick..

Max. You know a lot more about this stuff than me. But every Harley I have ever owned had bubbles in the oil when you first shut it down. Maybe that isnt considered foaming.

Admiral Akbar

March 30, 2015, 12:11:51 PM #35 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:14:55 PM by Max Headflow
Quote from: rich1 on March 30, 2015, 08:50:41 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on March 30, 2015, 07:21:56 AM

Max. You know a lot more about this stuff than me. But every Harley I have ever owned had bubbles in the oil when you first shut it down. Maybe that isnt considered foaming.

Probably not that much more.. Much of my learning come from screwing stuff up.. On time I dumped a bunch of Marvel Mystery oil in the lower end of a motor as I didn't have a 1/2 pint of motor oil.. On first startup the motor-oil foamed up pretty good.. Almost looked like a bubble bath.. You are correct that you'll see bubbles in the oil tank as the scavenge pumps create them.. I'm sure the MMO mad it worse.. It did get better after the oil mixed with the MMO and I changed the oil at 60 miles anyway..

Anyway this was a real unscientific observation and a WAG here..

Templar2

I have never seen this happen with Amsoil in over 20 years of use, on mulitple bikes and vehicles, neither have any of my friends and some of those are distributors.  I will be watching to see what caused this to happen, if one is found, and would hope that if it was oil related that it is an anomoly and not something else.  And the report by Bubbie is in line with others I have seen, it will be interesting following the story line on this oil to see how it holds up and how much better it might be, always open to better stuff.  And if it will run cooler in a HD engine that would be a big plus for all of us.

Just Nick

There is something else going on here I do not believe at this point it's the amsoil I put liqui moly in and rode for 26 miles my oil temp was at 294. I am at a lose here both bikes we changed the oil then this started happening I will install a racing hiflo filter tomorrow and check again then it's time to tear the motor down and see if there is any damage it still is as quiet as always but you never know

FSG

Just Nick

March 30, 2015, 02:43:02 PM #39 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:45:19 PM by Just Nick
Forgot it at shop

I can feel a loss of power

jerseyhardtail

not sure i would get into the motor till you get some oil info back,amsoil might want a look to
No longer in NJ retired on the Mountain in PA

qtrracer

Just Nick

I am still going to send the samples out. But at this point I don't think it's the oil unless it managed to really eat the motor up on my bike in less than 50 miles.

No Cents

what's your oil pressure showing?

Just Nick

37 cold idle and going down the road 15 hot idle

Snuff™

I'd remove the oil filter and dissect it, looking for fine metellic.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Just Nick

We did they are the reusable oil filters and were absolutely clean.

The only other thing I can think of is we cleaned the oil filters in the parts washer on both bikes but I can't see how that would make a difference. I am going to put a new filter on tomorrow and test it. Other that sending the oil out to blackstone and doing a compression/ leak down I don't know what else to do other then tear my motor down and inspect it. It's just baffling that both bike did the exact same thing after a oil change

harpwrench

Is it possible someone hates you and doctored your fuel?

No Cents

15 hot idle & 37 cold idle and hot cruise doesn't sound out of line. My bike is about the same.
I've never used a parts cleaner on my FLO element. I hit it with brake cleaner and hit it with the compressor a few times then I drop it in an Ultra Sonic cleaner with a few drops of Dawn dish soap in the water. Rinse it off with cold water and blow it dry with the compressor before re-installing it.
Do you think something in the parts cleaner attacked your elements?
This is a new one on me Nick...I've never seen this one before.
Beside the oil...the same common seems to be the filters and the way they were cleaned.

97dyna

This is so odd, that it has comes up.   Checked my oil and had bubbling.  Thought it was gas, so changed the oil and filter.  Same oil and bubbling again.  Now seeing powder coat on the cylinder fins bubbling.  Oil pressure is OK.  Wish I had temperature gauge.