May 08, 2024, 11:08:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel Leak issue on '96 Sportster 1200

Started by hank69er, March 31, 2015, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hank69er

Had an issue with a bike I "inherited" a couple months ago where it was leaking fuel out the overflow tube even while petcock was off.  Took to a shop where they replaced the petcock and rebuilt the carb.  Put it in my garage and didn't touch it until...

Took it for a ride two weeks ago and when I got close to empty I hit the gas station to fill up.  Filled up and started engine only to find fuel rapidly pouring out overflow tube while I sat there idling.  Turned off fuel and rode towards home until it sputtered, turned fuel on and made it back without any further leakage.

Fired it up yesterday in my driveway and let it idle for a couple minutes.  While on and idling I popped the fuel cap to check level and that's when fuel started pouring out overflow tube again.  Turned fuel off and let it burn rest of fuel out.

The issue seems to only happen now when I pop the fuel cap and release pressure??

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

- Hank

Julio

If they used an aftermarket needle seal and adjusted the float to factory specs, it'll leak from time to time.
The problem is because the aftermarket seal has a stronger spring than the OEM part.
Replace the needle with an OEM and set the float to factory spec and you'll be all set.
More info HERE.

Panzer

March 31, 2015, 03:10:22 PM #2 Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:32:37 PM by Panzer
 Removed
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

WhipLash96

On my 96 I had a similar issue. Put a gravity fed petcock on too. When mine leaked it was just the float that stuck. I just used the handle of a screwdriver and lightly tap the bowl to free it. Has never happened again.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

Is this the gas tank over flow tube or the carburetor over flow tube?  :nix:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Panzer

Ajayrk

Bet that when you fuled up the rush of fuel stired up trash and the needle and seat has trash in it.
Pet cock was open and trash was forced into the carb.  Your on off method to get home flushed out most of the trash.  Remove the bowl and clean the needle and seat.
AJ