May 09, 2024, 12:47:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

A trip down memory lane...

Started by CraigArizona85248, March 24, 2009, 02:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigArizona85248

I saw this link posted on another site.  Figured some of those here would enjoy these photos too.  As you'll see, "dressing up" has been a favorite activity of Harley riders for many years   :hyst:

http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2009/03/1965-panhead-california-road-trip.html

-Craig

hdjax2

Very cool stuff Craig, Thanks for posting :wink:
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

HroadhogD1

JamLazyAss

Craig, very nice.

BUT, being the stickler that I am...
Is it me (probably) or do those 65's have the WRONG year saddlebag guards on them?
Don't jump the gun. Give it some thought.

My opinion is that they are NOT correct for 1965.

Can anybody prove me right or wrong?
I'm probably going to regret this post but let's see what you guys come up with......
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Panzer

Thx Craig,
I remember riders dressing like that when I went on rides with my group.
Usually saw them at their club houses.
My group dressed like ..... well,  like west end kids, leather coats and dungaree's.
We couldn't afford anything better, but some of us owned Harley's.
I thought I was dressed up when I had my red bike sparkling, leather coat on and a flowing white scarf over my shoulder & it was Friday & Saturday night.

Thx for the memories...... :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

4DWUDS

Never saw so many Electric start Pans all at once. Thank Craig
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

CraigArizona85248

I think one of the things that surprised me was how many of the bikes had custom paint.  Then there was the blue Duo-Glide about mid-way down the page that had the kids seat attached to the tank with the toddler in it!  That thing is crazy looking... complete with a bar to keep the kid in place like a carnival ride.  LOL

How about the Black/White ElectraGlide in the last picture.  Black wall tires, black rims, chrome spoke... I could see that one being ridden today.

-Craig

FSG

I wonder if that "toddler" is around and riding today.

CraigArizona85248

March 24, 2009, 04:41:03 PM #8 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:45:19 PM by CraigArizona85248
Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 24, 2009, 03:26:23 PM
Craig, very nice.

BUT, being the stickler that I am...
Is it me (probably) or do those 65's have the WRONG year saddlebag guards on them?
Don't jump the gun. Give it some thought.

My opinion is that they are NOT correct for 1965.

Can anybody prove me right or wrong?
I'm probably going to regret this post but let's see what you guys come up with......

Good one!  LOL  I'd have to agree with you.  The original saddlebag guards where located higher up on the side of the bag like in this photo:

I also have a photo in a book here at home that shows stock a 1965 ElectraGlide and a pile of accessories laid out on the ground in front of it.  The saddlebag guards that are mounted on the bike match the photo above.  But there is another set of saddlebag guards laying on the ground with all the accessories.  Can't tell from the photo if these match the saddlebag guards in photos on the "Nostalgia on Wheels" site.  Could be everyone had upgraded to the "fancy" guards.

-Craig

seattledyna

great pics!! the excellent color gives a perfect look back at how the bikes and riders really looked!!

I'm gonna start wearing a shirt and tie when I ride :wink:

codyshop

Very cool.  Did HD not have a "Genuine Motorclothes" division then or were people just more individualistic?  Today's meets are nothing more than a sea of orange and black.  Ray

harleyjt

Great photos. Thanks for sharing!  I just love the blue and white 65 Electra Glide.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

JamLazyAss

OK fella's,
Now I am really beginning to smell a snake in the woodpile here....

At least two of those "65's" have horseshoe oil tanks.
We know what that means, right?

For those that do not, 1965 was the first year for electric start.
Harley had to can the horseshoe oil tank in 65, to make room for the starter motor (with a ton of other changes).

So.... wrong saddlebag guards and now wrong oil tanks?
Hmmm. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands. But then again...  :wtf:  anything worth doing...
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

CraigArizona85248

March 24, 2009, 07:21:31 PM #13 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:24:18 PM by CraigArizona85248
They are not all '65 models.  Some of them are Duo-Glides which preceeded the Electra-Glide.  I counted at least 5 Duo-Glides.  The ribbed cam covers, oil tanks, tin primary and "Duo-Glide" on the front fender will give them away.  LOL

-Craig

harleyjt

Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 24, 2009, 07:17:51 PM
OK fella's,
Now I am really beginning to smell a snake in the woodpile here....

At least two of those "65's" have horseshoe oil tanks.
We know what that means, right?

For those that do not, 1965 was the first year for electric start.
Harley had to can the horseshoe oil tank in 65, to make room for the starter motor (with a ton of other changes).

So.... wrong saddlebag guards and now wrong oil tanks?
Hmmm. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands. But then again...  :wtf:  anything worth doing...

The horseshoe tanks appear to be on the Duo Glides - which are earlier year models.  The Electra Glides all appear to be correct to me from what I'm seeing....   
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

jimrookie

Very cool, Im glad my wife and I dont have to match when we go for a ride
any how those are the Dressers I fell in love with as a kid and the FLH has always been the look for me
Thanks for the pics!

specialx1

way to much time on your hands Jam,ask Panz he will straightne you out :pop:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

hogpipes1

I don't see any  tattoos or pierced nose, lips, eye brows , wow  must of been  a whole lot different back in the day.And what a time it was  1965.  i had a 58 pan f l h  dresser, and still in high school when cat's were cool.

Panzer

Man, I had a 62 Duo Glide looked like the above blue and white even down to the chrome hand rail around the seat.  :cry:
I wish I had her today, she would still look like new.
Auto oiler to the rear chain,always streaked the rear whitewall with oil.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Scurvy

Did you see that line to the beer tent? Or was that to the bathrooms?
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

FSG

Quote from: Scurvy on March 24, 2009, 08:51:48 PM
Did you see that line to the beer tent? Or was that to the bathrooms?

Both   :hyst:

Rusty Steel

Great pictures, I love looking at old photos.
I love photo #5, they seem to have gotten the “Family winners” prize or something… can you imagine trying to pull something like that off today? Lol..  LEO's would pull you over in a heartbeat and rightly so.
Things must have been a lot simpler back then, probably a lot less laws too… :up:
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

guido4198

That's the other 99%.............
Thanks for posting..!!

ULTRADOG

so that only leaves out the 1%ers right guido   :hyst: :duel:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Speeding Big Twin

Great photos, Craig. The early style air intake is a different touch. And the toolbox not normally found after 1964.     Eric

02roadcling

Sometimes I wear a white shirt, never a tie though. That is making a statement that I dont fit the normal black boutique garb mode. The first time I saw myself in a store window I thought I looked sharp.

Those old bikers were way cooler than today.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Mickster

I rode a '64 Duo Glide Police Special from '74 till '92...
Loved it but that six volt headlight was like two red c--nt hairs in a mason jar...
I had to ride at the back of the pack cause it was like an orange dot in front of me compared to newer bikes.
Bought it for $1000 and sold it for $10,000 and it was pretty much stock...
But when they took lead out of the gas, pulling the heads and doing the valves was a yearly chore...
Sure love my Evo...
Mickster

truck

They didn't all coordinate clothing. Of course this foto of my mom and dad wasn't taken in the mid 50's though.

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

seattledyna

I have an old front fender that looks like is coulda' come off that bike on the the bottom, its in faded rough shape but still the original color! been meaning to hang it on the wall in the shop as a bit O history :wink:

driller

Those pictures are great. I got to draw the line on the bow tie though.
ride faster, grin wider, spit more bugs

Scooterfish

Great pics, I think the riders are whats called "Enthusiasts"

I really question all the white pants at the end of the day on a panhead? :hyst:
Northern Indiana

FLH

I bet most of those Harleys are still around someplace. While most of the foriegn bikes of that era are long ago scrapped.

texaskatfish

Craig well posted SUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love them old scoots!!!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

preacher

The thing that amazes me is the heights of the seats on those pans.  They look like they would be 36" or 37" - almost like a modern dirt bike!  How did they ever get their feet on the ground at a stop??

hdjax2

My great Grandfather on the right. These are the first cops in Stanislaus county Ca to get Motorcycles.  BTW no I'm not a cop but motorcycles do run in the family :wink: And wearing ties was pretty much the norm

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

alstar2

great pictures.I remember those days,but now when i stand in line &
get my beer I immediately get in the bathroom line.

truck

Quote from: preacher on March 25, 2009, 02:19:16 PM
The thing that amazes me is the heights of the seats on those pans.  They look like they would be 36" or 37" - almost like a modern dirt bike!  How did they ever get their feet on the ground at a stop??

The bikes were smaller back then.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

CraigArizona85248

The seats were much higher.  When I sit on a panhead with a buddy seat I can barely get my toes on the ground.  They weren't as obsessed with getting their feet flat on the ground as we are today.  A Duo-Glide is pretty much the same size as a RK (but with a higher seat).

-Craig

Tsani

Thanks. Now I feel old! Sure miss my 61. With a 30"  inseam , you could get one foot flat down. With the sole saddle with the plunger you could get both.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

CraigArizona85248

Yeah... The solo saddles are a lot easier for me to deal with.  I have a 29" inseam.  I feel like a little kid on the buddy seat.  LOL

-Craig

Rusty Steel

What I think is interesting are those cool dual kickstands. They look pretty functional, but must not been up to par.
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.