1996 Sportster Sport, they vibrate much?

Started by Shooter1, April 05, 2015, 09:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter1

I have a chance to score a '96 Sportster Sport that is all original in good shape for a decent price and always wanted to try one. It wouldn't see much hiway riding, probably in town and two lane blacktop. I've heard that the pre 2004 bikes vibrated alot and they were quite uncomfortable at higher rpms/speeds. Thought I'd cjeck in here and see what you guys think of this bike and the pre 2004 bikes in general.

Thanks,
Harvey
'00 Super Glide Sport

fbn ent

Yes, they vibrate pretty good at higher RPMs. Women love them! :wink:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

calif phil

They are great bikes.  Dependable and lots of fun.  Vibration is an issue but for blasting around town they are great. 

scott45acp

My friend has a 98. She rides the hell out of it.  Never complained about the vibration. 

PC_Hater

For your intend use on local roads you are unlikely to find vibration a problem.
At 60mph I will say it will be 'smooth' - as in you could cruise at that speed all day without discomfort.
At 70mph I will say vibration begins - I can tolerate a day before wishing I was on the FL.
Vibration increases yet more as speed increases. 95mph becomes painful for me after 15 minutes or so.
115mph is great fun for the short time my body can stand it! The bike was very happy and still accelerating but my hands couldn't take it any more.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

WhipLash96

I have a 96 and never once thought that my bike vibrated all that much.
Thanks,
Whip

Julio

When I first bought my '96S, it shook bad enough that on my first ride the speedo needle fell off. Only one thing can do that and sure enough, when I put her on the lift, the only motor mount that was tight was the top center. The top front was loose enough to move the bolts up and down ~half an inch.
With the mounts tightened, she settled right down and stopped shaking.
A bigger problem I found was the poor handling, particularly the worst front brake diving I'd seen.
After installing new sneakers, I changed the fork oil to 20w, added an extra 10 ml in each leg and to quicken up the handling, I raised the tubes .70" in the trees.
That took care of the diving problem and after setting suspension, she handles pretty good.

Panzer

Shooter1,
Even if it had  lot of vibration, I think you'll buy it anyway, your heart is set on it.
I too never found vibration a problem, it's a fun machine.
Let us know how you make out and some pixs would be nice.
Go for it.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fbn ent

hogpipes1

I installed on my new 94- & 00 xl's  Balance Master eng & clutch  disk   , ck out sun tech  for more infor- on these. they do cut down on the vibs .  70 + hands get the pin's.  04 + rubber have more issues if there trans problems . need to split the whole eng. to get to it. 03 last of the easy tear down.

fbn ent

"04 + rubber have more issues if there trans problems . need to split the whole eng. to get to it. 03 last of the easy tear down."

True that.  :wtf:

hogpipes1

fbn ent

Split cases for transmission work. Bad design IMHO. Wife has an '07. Fingers are crossed...

Panzer

I have an 07', 1200 c, no problems other then leaking rocker covers, first front and two years later the rear.
Great bike.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fbn ent

April 07, 2015, 06:38:09 AM #14 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:44:04 AM by fbn ent
 :agree: She has 40K miles on hers now. It also had a rocker box leak and now it looks as if the front head gasket is weeping a bit. (small amount of residue). Buzzes less than her '96 but I still don't much like the unit construction.