March 29, 2024, 12:48:29 AM

News:

S&S super E

Started by rider7816, April 15, 2015, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

Ive been having a lot of trouble with my Keihin butterfly on my 1977 Ironhead.  No matter what I do or who looks at it to try and fix it, I can never seem to get it dialed in.  Stumbling, overfueling, too lean, cant find a damn happy medium.  And yes, I made sure I have NO vacuum leaks at the manifold.

I decided to go with the S&S super E.  My question is, can I reuse the original intake manifold or do I need the S&S o-ring manifold?

Thanks

Frank :pop:

Racepres

Quote from: rider7816 on April 15, 2015, 12:54:25 PM
Ive been having a lot of trouble with my Keihin butterfly on my 1977 Ironhead.  No matter what I do or who looks at it to try and fix it, I can never seem to get it dialed in.  Stumbling, overfueling, too lean, cant find a damn happy medium.  And yes, I made sure I have NO vacuum leaks at the manifold.

I decided to go with the S&S super E.  My question is, can I reuse the original intake manifold or do I need the S&S o-ring manifold?

Thanks

Frank :pop:

You need a S&S manifold...Wishing you luck... I would almost rather have a Butterfly Keihin...I use a Bendix personally...But, My eldest still has a Butterfly keihin on his '75 I.H.
Not a thing wrong with it once set up properly.

Ohio HD

Yer not running drag pipes are ya? Makes tuning those Sporties harder.

rider7816

No drag pipes. I still have the factory pipes on but the baffles have been removed.  I thought about that too... I was thinking about putting some baffles back in or adding some "lollipops" for back pressure.

Frank

Ohio HD

Might try the lollipops if you want to keep the sound. Sporties are notorious for finicky carb tuning when there is not much exhaust back pressure.

Racepres

The 65A mufflers are the "Potty mouth" for Most applications...very little Obstruction in the pipe, good sound...A bit loud for some.

dr evo1

if you go with the S&S E get the kit comes with carb, assortment of jets, intake manifold, carb spacer be sure to use it..  gaskets, bolts, gas line and carb mounting bracket. cycle shack makes a good set of pipes only thunder header makes more horsepower on dyno...............

Racepres

I have an "E" laying around here someplace that was on a working 900 I.H.
I will try to get the time to look at the jets that are in it....

BTW....My '77 has a Bendix and the Youngest has a '77 with a S.E. [Flowmaster]
I have Not had the best luck with "E" nor "B" on I.H. But, That 900 worked pretty well with that "E"....