May 02, 2024, 08:07:23 AM

News:

Black and Silver Cylinders Oxidized

Started by KumaRide, September 23, 2015, 11:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KumaRide

September 23, 2015, 11:59:08 AM Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:03:37 PM by KumaRide
2011 RK with the black and silver jugs. The bike was originally from the south, close to ocean. The silver on the fins are heavily oxidized and most fins have many black stains.  Tried a few common solutions, nothing working though. Any ideas what can be done. Minus replacing them.

Just realized I posted in Twin Cam section. Please move to General. Thanks!

misfitJason

Mothers mag aluminum polish on the fin edges.  Simple green for the gray parts and engine degreaser
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

KumaRide

Already tried that, and got more aggressive with green scrubby sponge.  This is not average oxidation. Fins have  black stains, a lot of black stains.

Y2KRKNG

1000, 1500, 2000grit, S. Wool, green pads, cream compounds on the edges.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

No Cents

One time I had a set of cylinders that the outer fins did the same thing. I tried everything to clean them up and I had no luck.
Finally I took a 1" wide flat file and laid in flat against the fins and went around the cylinders with light even pressure.
It the matter of an hour...both of the cylinders fins looked brand new again...but these cylinders were off the bike and on the work bench when I did it.
  To make the black powder coating look good again I soaked them down with WD-40 and wiped off the excess before starting the bike. Every once in awhile when the powder coating started to look faded I'd shoot the WD-40 to them again and the nice new look returned.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Don D

Black = Griots undercariage spray
The fins sand and polish back with semichrome polish, the scalloped finish will be gone and mask with blue tape to keep the Polish off the black powder coat

KumaRide

As much as I hate to admit it, I hit a small area on a couple fins with 800 grit.  Even with 800, the fins did not come out good, black stain is more than on surface.  And the sandpaper builds up quickly with oxidized material.  The fins have a light scallop, shape, and 800 grit unfortunately smooths that down. The file will make it very smooth, but filing maybe necessary. I was hoping for a miracle compound.  :crash:

I did ind this: NuShine II Graded Metal Polish System

http://www.nuvitechemical.com/c-39-metal-polish-nushine-ii-system.aspx

I spoke with a rep that sounded like they were in a call center, very limited product knowledge. It would require two stages. I heavy compound then the lighter. No refunds or guarantees, total cost ~$75.  I hate it when I spend $10 on some compound and it does not work, let alone $75.

Y2KRKNG

Sounds like they're FUBAR.  If they were off they could be acid dipped :potstir:, and just go All Natural  :embarrassed:
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Don D

Ohio HD

I can't see my cylinders when I'm riding....     :nix:

1FSTRK

Sounds like a great time to get some dealer take-offs from ebay and do some upper end work.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

harley_cruiser

Spray cleaner for non clear coated mag wheels, it has mild phosphoric acid.

Don D

Oxidation is on the surface of the metal and sprays and light rubbing fix that.
Corrosion is metal damage, new story